iPhone and iPad memory expansion (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If it's just extra storage you're after there are lots of options.

Dropbox and Google Drive spring immediately to mind. I use both for various things.

I'm not a huge fan of card based or wired solutions.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Hi Nick appreciate that but touring Europe (and even the UK) internet access is not always an option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Fair point.

Am I reading it correctly that the thing in your link is basically a flash drive with a lightning connector?

If so I quite like that idea. It's going to have massively quicker read and write speeds you would get with an SD card. Of course you can already get SD card readers but I like the idea of a directly connectible flash drive.(y)

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
That's the way I read it Nick, we just need other manufacturers to join in and prices to come down.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
A great idea (y)
I specifically chose my iPhone 6 with 64gb and so far despite many hundreds of pictures I still have 37gb free but I'm not so far a big keeper of music
Nice to see such devices are an option now :cool:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
£37.99 for 32 gig isn't bad at all.

You'd pay more than that for a decent quality fast SD card.

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
Play music and videos directly from the drive.

JumpDrive C20i not only makes it easy to offload and transfer files, but it also allows you to listen to your favorite songs and watch videos right from the drive.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Broken Link Removed

This does it for me, 64 GB on board plus you can if wanted slot in up to another 128GB, I've cleared all music and photos off my phone and pad and can judt access them from this little beaut. 65mm square x 12mm deep.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I have a USB OTG cable for my phone/tablet I can connect any cards or my western digital 1TB drive. Cable £6.99 WD Hard drive £50.

Oh it's Android.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi

We have a Verbatim Media Wireless unit, £24 from Amazon This is charged via USB. The Unit is connected too by a PC or Tablet wirelessly. You can then attach Sim cards or Hardrives to the Unit which you then are able to access on your PC or Tablet. Whilst you are connected wirelessly to the unit you can browse the Internet as the Unit can be onward connected to a wireless source for the internet.

You can connect up to 5 Tablets etc and play different films or Photos at the same time from the attached hardrive or SD card.

If you rely on Icloud etc you need local Wifi availability which this does not.

Doug

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I am not a fan of Cloud storage...

I don't want to pay anyone to look after my stuff... I'd rather do it myself.

JJ :cool:
Google automatically save my photos, I do back up too but I wouldn't turn off the free storage.

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I have an Apotop wireless SD card reader/USB reader which I can connect to in the van. It creates its own wireless network which you log on to. You can then read SD cards and USB bus powered drives. I have used mine with a 500gb bus powered drive. I have several SD cards with videos on and can happily watch them without external wifi. With a lightening to HDMI cable from the iPad I can watch on my tv in the van.
How much more space do you want?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Lexar have announced Otg memory expansion for Apple iPhones and tablets. 16, 32, 64 and 128gb not cheap but prices may come down, it's a start. http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Apple-iOS...-iPhone_iPad-OTG-USB-3.0-Flash-Drive---95MB_s
I'm slightly confused (easily done) with this item as it seems to have a male USB plug. My OTG lead for my Android devices has a female USB socket, which is what you want so you can plug things into it which require a full size USB connection. You can get male to male adaptors which would create a socket I suppose.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I am not a fan of Cloud storage...

I don't want to pay anyone to look after my stuff... I'd rather do it myself.

It has it's advantages and disadvantages.

You don't need to pay though. A photographer friend of mine has multiple (lots) of Dropbox accounts. When he fills one up he signs up for another with a new email address.

It makes your data available anywhere you have decent internet and it's highly unlikely you will ever lose it.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It has it's advantages and disadvantages.

You don't need to pay though. A photographer friend of mine has multiple (lots) of Dropbox accounts. When he fills one up he signs up for another with a new email address.

It makes your data available anywhere you have decent internet and it's highly unlikely you will ever lose it.

As an Galaxy Note 4 (Android) user with 128 gbs of micro card, onboard, memory expansion plus a Seagate Plus, 1 terrabyte, portable hardrive (which operates wirelessly) I don't have much need for Cloud services.

I can access my data without the need for an internet connection...

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As an Galaxy Note 4 (Android) user with 128 gbs of micro card, onboard, memory expansion plus a Seagate Plus, 1 terrabyte, portable hardrive (which operates wirelessly) I don't have much need for Cloud services.

I can access my data without the need for an internet connection...

I realise that and I do something similar with a 3TB Apple Time Capsule but cloud storage is useful both as a remote back up and to be able to access your data when out of range of your storage device. One example that I use is that I will work on something in the office and be able to carry on with it at home as well without needing to carry a device.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have a 3TB external WD wifi storage that backs up all household appliances apple and android then gives access to them from anywhere in the world using local internet connection. Storage, like voice recognition is improving at an alarming rate.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Male USB is for transferring to/from a computer iPads use what Apple call a lightning connector which is the small male plug on left in the photo
http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Apple-iOS...-iPhone_iPad-OTG-USB-3.0-Flash-Drive---95MB_s
I'm still confused but won't worry about it! An OTG cable I always understood was something which created a full sized USB socket for a device which doesn't have one

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back