Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Well the iPad finally arrived, so I am busy trawling through all the possible apps I can load. Any brilliant suggestions? :Eeek:

however - am I missing something blindingly obvious? Everyone says how the iPad is inhibited because it does not have a USB port. However, it does have the standard "ipod" connector, which connects to the computer through... the USB port.

So, why can I not just buy a female/female USB connector to plug in to the end of the iPad cable, and plug USB devices into that? Surely that would work?

Or am I just being dim?

David

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
30 views and no comment? Ah well...

just in case anyone else is interested I was right, you can connect a USB device, but it has to be formatted as Fat32, which seems logical as Macs do not read NTFS drives. The conventional way would be to us the camera adapter, but i am sure a female:female adaptor would work as well.

I am still interested in people's ideas on good apps though, particularly if relevant to navigation or motorhoming...

david

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
I am awaiting delivery of an E Pad, you know, the Android one. And yes that has usb port for connection to your PC, or so I understand. The apps are on Android Market and looking forward to receiving delivery mid week.
Best wishes
Don

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
You can buy an ipad usb connector - it comes as part of the camera connection kit.
Until a recent operating system update, this connector could indeed be used to link to some peripherals but...
The current OS has reduced the voltage available so as to render connectivity effectively disabled. :cry:
Whether or not this was a deliberate act or just the consequence of some other update, Apple's not saying.
It was only when I attended an Apple presentation did I fully realise that Apple was not prepared to allow the iPad to be a laptop alternative. It is supposed to be an 'enhancement' to either your desktop and/or your laptop, not a replacement.

AFAIK - the iPad connection socket has never 'allowed' data transfer via USB.

Last edited:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On my Ipad I have the following installed

Weather HD
Twitter
BBC News
VLC
Google Earth
LIFE
IBooks
Starwalks
Evernote
DocsToGo
NASA
TED
Scrabble
Real Golf 2011

Plus a few games that were free.

Download a few films to it and be amazed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp