Ipad Or Android ?help (1 Viewer)

Apr 30, 2012
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Exec
Exp
Since 2012
Users are either technically aware, in which case they often favour android, or inexperienced favouring iPad because "it simply works". Apples' fully integrated ecosystem seemslessly facilitates synchronisation of photos, applications, email, diaries, presentations, documents, etc between your smartphone, tablet and desktop. NO other manufacturer can do this. Does it cost more, yes. Is it worth it? only you can answer that. :xsmile::xThumb:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Apples' fully integrated ecosystem seemslessly facilitates synchronisation of photos, applications, email, diaries, presentations, documents, etc between your smartphone, tablet and desktop. NO other manufacturer can do this. Does it cost more, yes. Is it worth it? only you can answer that. :xsmile::xThumb:
The bit I have underlined is simply not correct. I can and do seemlessly (automatically) transfer all of my files, documents presentations, emails, photos, music and diaries between my PC, Android phone and Android tablet.

Apr 30, 2012
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Exec
Exp
Since 2012
But the point is you have the technical skill to do it, with the Apple ecosystem, "it simply works". Without significant computing experience, automatically, simply using your Apple ID to link ALL your Apple devices, I repeat, NO other manufacturer can do this. :xgrin:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
well I read all these replies do you think I am much wiser lol

Yep. You can take the android bullshitters ( who don't want to turn this thread into a fight :xdoh: ) or the Apple people who couldn't give a Whatsit.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
well I read all these replies do you think I am much wiser lol
Ah, but what I think is clear is both systems have their supporters from which it is not a great leap to conclude both systems work. Take your pick but as already pointed out by someone if you already have an iPhone you may find it easier to stick with their products. I chose Android for my tablet partly because my phone was android and it reduces the learning curve to have both the same.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Ah, but what I think is clear is both systems have their supporters from which it is not a great leap to conclude both systems work. Take your pick but as already pointed out by someone if you already have an iPhone you may find it easier to stick with their products. I chose Android for my tablet partly because my phone was android and it reduces the learning curve to have both the same.
Yes, Dawn has Android phone and tablet and loves it, whereas I use IOS. Both of us are familiar with the system and don't particularly like the other system. Makes sense really

Reactions: DBK
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
My opinion
Go try android tablets

Then go to an Apple Store try apple tablets

Me I prefer apple
Bought a kindle fire this time last year
Got on with it so well gave it to son to
Let the grandchilds use it
Worst purchase I ever made

But then I seem to be getting more technophobe lateley

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
My daughter recently changed from an iphone 4 to 6, when I asked her why she didn't get an android she said that none of the songs or films she had bought on the phone, could be transferred to any other device but an Apple device. So she either got another Iphone or lost them. Is this not true?

Ian

Not true but what Apple seeem to want you to believe

seemslessly facilitates synchronisation of photos, applications, email, diaries, presentations, documents, etc between your smartphone, tablet and desktop. NO other manufacturer can do this. Does it cost more, yes. Is it worth it? only you can answer that

But the point is you have the technical skill to do it, with the Apple ecosystem, "it simply works". Without significant computing experience, automatically, simply using your Apple ID to link ALL your Apple devices, I repeat, NO other manufacturer can do this. :xgrin:

I seamlessly and without any intervention using default settings and the installation of a single free app outside of the standard Android operating system (Google drive) synchronise by backups, photos and videos, documents, emails, calendar, contacts, bookmarks, browsing history, saved passwords and probably a whole bunch more stuff between my phones, tablet and laptop. I wonder why Google don't include Drive as standard but then I realise that all the Android devices I have had came with a free trial of Drop box and I guess that Drop box would prefer basic users weren't aware they had free of charge competition from Google.

I still stick with the advice I gave before though. If you are comfortable with an iPhone and want a tablet, but an ipad

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Users are either technically aware, in which case they often favour android, or inexperienced favouring iPad because "it simply works". Apples' fully integrated ecosystem seemslessly facilitates synchronisation of photos, applications, email, diaries, presentations, documents, etc between your smartphone, tablet and desktop. NO other manufacturer can do this. Does it cost more, yes. Is it worth it? only you can answer that. :xsmile::xThumb:
Do you know what, there is something called a Google account too .........

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
All this Apple connectivity is wonderful, but do you need it? And does the extra cost over an android version make it worth it? Here's my take on it.
I use my Hudl for emails using Gmail, its synchronised over all my pc's/phones/tablets so no advantage there, I read books from Amazon again synchronised over all my devices. I browse using chrome, again this is synchronised over all my devices. Pictures are uploaded automatically via Photobucket, and again available on all devices so for me, no Apples not worth it.

I will agree I did have to download apps to do this, and for some like my wife that's completely of her radar, so for her Apple might make sense, except all she does is browse and go on Facebook, hardly worth spending loads to do that. I think if your going to use all that Apple connectivity then buy one, if on the other hand your into a bit of browsing, email etc, like I think many are, just get a cheap Android.

Ian

Apr 30, 2012
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Exec
Exp
Since 2012
I know I'll be called a fanboy, and I may be biased because I use Apple devices, but isn't Android just an operating system. Google have some great software, great integrating eco-elements including those you mention. Do they make phones, PCs, tablets or do other manufacturers use Google's free operating system to keep their hardware cheap.

Many Android users achieve the integration you describe, and all have done so with either technical guidance or in-depth experience.

You agree you had to download Apps to make synchronisation happen for you. Your technical knowledge presumably helped you identify, locate, download, configure and run those Apps. Thank you for confirming my point.:xThumb:

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Google have some great software, great integrating eco-elements including those you mention. Do they make phones, PCs, tablets or do other manufacturers use Google's free operating system to keep their hardware cheap.
Yes Google make their own phone and tablets, and very good they are too. The Nexus range. I have a Nexus 5 phone. They even make a chromebook PC. Of course, just like Apple, they don't actually make them as such; instead they both get their suppliers in China to make them! The difference is that Google also allow others to use Android as well, whereas Apple have always maintained a monopoly over iOS, as they did with their mac computers' operating systems. And traditionally they have made it very difficult for their users to connect to other systems.

As I have said before I have no problem at all with people who prefer Apple products. But, lately, there seems to be an increasing element of evangelism in the way that some of them justify their choice. It is a shame that they sometimes do it by trying to knock others who chose something different.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Evangelism:xrofl:

Do me a favour:xdoh:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Jen's parents are in their 80's and wanted a new computer and I said get a Mac partly because I could talk them through stuff on the phone as I have one as well but also because there are not the same options for customising/messing things up as a PC, anyway they came back from the shop with a all in one PC thinking it was a Mac but decided to keep it anyway, so now it in a bit of a mess.

They then decided they wanted an i-pad like what I had, would have gone nice with a Mac but hey ho, got the i-pad, I downloaded i-tunes to PC and switched it on for them, then they were away and he lives on it and can't mess it up too much, I have never looked at any other tablet but having i-Mac and i-phone it would not make sense.

To me the products just work, OK they work the way Apple want them to and you have to accept that but that suits me and would certainly have been better for an octogenarian who fiddles with things and then forgets what he has fiddled with.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
One thing about Apple products they certainly hold their value, Apple 1 the first computer built in 1976 has just sold for £230,000:xgrin::xgrin::xgrin:

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Really?

What has been proven as far as I can see is that some android users have a chip on their shoulder about Apple users.

QED.
Your use of the term "proven" does worry me. Thank goodness that the law does not use it in the way that you appear to. And it is simply not the case as far as I am concerned (and I speak for no others). If you actually read my posts you will see that, far from having a chip on my shoulder, I have no problem whatsoever with people choosing Apple over Android. After all my wife happily uses an iphone and ipad, and I think that they are right for her. Whereas I prefer Android, which I think is right for me.

Your comment about "bullshitters" can only have been aimed at me, given the words in parenthesis; and that post and your subsequent posts have, in my opinion, only indicated the validity of the point I was making in the post to which the words in those parenthesis refer.

My opinion is that, of late, and especially since Android has become more popular than iOs, a more strident tone has been creeping into the arguments used by some Apple users. They seem to be finding it much more necessary to justify their choice than they used to. And now there seems to be more criticising of the competition and especially anybody who dares to suggest they prefer Android. And I am saddened by that development.

Apple and Android both work and are both excellent products. They enable their users to do all the things they want, and more than they could ever have dreamt of ten years ago. I prefer the way Android works and others prefer the way Apple works. No problem for me at all, as long as each correctly states what the other can and can't do. Arguing that one is inherently "better" than the other is about as useful as arguing that a banana is better than an orange, or a Rapido is better than a Burstner. Both beg more questions than they answer.

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Peter - my bullshitters comment was not particularly aimed at you.

I am sorry if looked as if it was.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have an iPad - which is easy to use and although not perfect, doesn't go wrong often. For quick use, surfing the web, emails etc. it is great.

My wife and boy 1 have Nexus devices which they find easy to use and they are able to do everything that they want to - including sharing files without resorting to cloud based systems (ie. they can put files on a SD card and share them between devices (films, photos etc) and the devices were less than half the price of the Apple and share the same charging cable as our phones.

I also have an Android phone which I use for surfing the web and occasional document work.

If I need to do anything involving more extensive surfing, typing or editing, I use my windows notebook; I find it far easier and faster.

Each device has its own benefits and drawbacks.

If I were to buy something for my mother (70+ yrs old) and money was not an issue, I would buy an iPad because it is fractionally easier to use and I know that she would not need or want to be able to anything that it can't do. If I was in any doubt as to how much it was going to be used or was on a tighter budget, I would buy an Android device. I could easily create a very simple profile for her with just the basic apps that she would use on one screen and it would work well.

If I were going to start from scratch for my self, I think that I would stick with Android because I have not found anything that he Apple does significantly better than Android and, if anything, Apple seem to be trying to catch up with many of the things that Android has been doing for years (Broken Link Removed). However, I do like the hardware styling of Apple products slightly more than the Nexus / Samsung etc. devices that run Android so I would probably convert over to all Apple products if I won the lottery and didn't worry about their limitations.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Dear oh dear. Try using the GPO, then go out and buy four oranges, a stand of bananas, plus a pound of seedless grapes. Now get your android robot butler to serve you a nice glass of wine.
That way, your can greatly reduce both blood pressure and keyboard wear, and still make a phone call. :xThumb::xThumb:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Dear oh dear. Try using the GPO, then go out and buy four oranges, a stand of bananas, plus a pound of seedless grapes. Now get your android robot butler to serve you a nice glass of wine.
That way, your can greatly reduce both blood pressure and keyboard wear, and still make a phone call. :xThumb::xThumb:

Once again Tootles, you've lost me o_O

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back