LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi I have been looking at the mini for months and trying to justify investing in one.

I wondered what advantage the 3g version had and what the costs of using it, especially abroad.

Any help or advice on advantages and drawbacks would be appreciated.

Ginny

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't see the point to be honest.

If you want an iPad , go for an iPad 2 - about £300 John Lewis.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
None... Save your cash and buy a MIFI... Then you can insert a card into that and share with up to 5 devices like laptops and smart phones.. Makes more sense and a lot cheaper..

Unsure that a 7" tablet will be ok... They are great for kids and those younger ones with good eyesight and nimble fingers, the 10" standard ipad is better..

If budget worried then maybe the Samsung tablet as an alternative.. But I love my ipad...:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Hi I have been looking at the mini for months and trying to justify investing in one.

I wondered what advantage the 3g version had and what the costs of using it, especially abroad.

Any help or advice on advantages and drawbacks would be appreciated.

Ginny

It takes a SIM card thus avoiding the need for wi- fi hot spots
If your near 3 g aerial :Blush:

Other than that it's an extra hundred pounds for apple

Saying that I have a I pad 2 , 3G rarely use 3g

I wish I'd saved the hundred pounds
but I don't travel any where near as much as I'd like to :Angry:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I have unlimited tethering on my mobile phone so there was no point to have a 3G iPad.

Why pay for a mobile contract with unlimited data and then have to pay again for a data sim for the iPad, when I can just connect it by wifi to my mobile phone hotspot if I am out and about.

If you still want the iPad mini you can buy a "refurbished" one direct from Apple with a 12 month warranty as with any of their products. They come wrapped and boxed as new so it's difficult to tell them apart from a "brand" new model.

See here 16Gb, wifi... £209.

Link Removed

lm_tile_refurbipad.jpg

I just bought one this weekend for a gift for someone, delivered in 24 hours, I can't see the difference from a brand new one..

For using it abroad, I just put a local sim with data allowance in my phone or MiFi, and once again tether the iPad or laptop etc to that,...

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I had an iPad 2, now an iPad mini, I prefer the Mini, it does everything the 2 did and is easier to carry around. I don't notice the size difference, I wear reading glasses so it isn't an issue.
I tether it to my phone ( on 3) when out and the Mifi when 3 has a rubbish signal ( so, quite often!)
If you can tether to your phone, don't bother with the 3g iPad.
Allan

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I have unlimited tethering on my mobile phone so there was no point to have a 3G iPad.

Why pay for a mobile contract with unlimited data and then have to pay again for a data sim for the iPad, when I can just connect it by wifi to my mobile phone hotspot if I am out and about.

If you still want the iPad mini you can buy a "refurbished" one direct from Apple with a 12 month warranty as with any of their products. They come wrapped and boxed as new so it's difficult to tell them apart from a "brand" new model.

See here 16Gb, wifi... £209.

Link Removed

lm_tile_refurbipad.jpg

I just bought one this weekend for a gift for someone, delivered in 24 hours, I can't see the difference from a brand new one..

I think I have chosen the wrong time of year, I checked and there's no stock!

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I bought my wife an iPad Mini for Christmas last year. Non-3G.

She loves it. I've the iPad 3.

Mine is better for photos and typing. The Mini is slightly more useable when out and about.

For us, both with iPhones, iTunes and Apple TV, they work together brilliantly.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I think I have chosen the wrong time of year, I checked and there's no stock!

When they do have stock they do sell like Hotcakes as they are like new, only cheaper, and have the full apple back up, which I have found to be superb.

If you check regularly they do put new stock up quite often.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Do not waste your time on the 3G version. In most cases you will be within reach of a "WiFi" spot and all you do is look for that spot and your away......

The iPad mini ( wife has it ) is better than the larger version and easier to hold. I find after about 30 minutes of surfing I have to put my iPad 2 down on a flat surface.

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I have an iPad Mini and my wife has an iPad Retina. I much prefer mine because of the size and weight. Do not bother with the 3G model, just get an unlocked mifi and get a local data sim wherever you are. Full size sim and easy to find and relatively cheap.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a new i pad mini 64gb cellular which will accept any network nano sim, so local network sims when abroad can be used.
I have this in addition to an i5 processor 14" laptop which is great but not as convenient when travelling etc, the mini i pad being a really useful size for browsing etc :thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Ginney, I have got the I pad mini without the 3 g, and love it, the laptop is practically redundant, I can tether from my phone or use my3 Mifi when awy. Excellent size for us lady's. :Smile:

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Ginney, I have got the I pad mini without the 3 g, and love it, the laptop is practically redundant, I can tether from my phone or use my3 Mifi when awy. Excellent size for us lady's. :Smile:

Thanks Carol, that's just what I needed.

I have the 64gb BlackBerry PlayBook, and wanted something of a similar size but not as heavy.

I also hope the Ipad will give more flexibility and much better and faster access to Wifi. The PlayBook is good on my home Wifi but no good away from home.

I also want to be able to Skype whilst we are in Spain and can't do that with the Playbook.

Ginny

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
I have a mini, I like it. Just buy the largest memory size you can afford. Fully agree with the comments about mifi, much better option than a 3G version.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
When I got my mini I kept all options open by having cellular as well , wherever I am I can use wi fi or if not available a local network sim, no need to fiddle with tethering .
In UK I use 3 network payg :thumb:

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
We've just took the plunge & bought an IPad mini with retina display (whatever that means). Got it mainly for the travelling we have planned for next year.
Even the bloke at curry's/PC world said why bother paying the extra £100 when you can use a mifi for £30. As it happens we already have one so it was a no brainer.
Mind you it's not cheap at over £500 for the 64g model :Eeek:
I have to admit though, I use it instead of the laptop all the time & it seems lightning fast compared to the windows stuff I'm used to.
It's got to last a very long time to justify the cost tho.

Bennyheaven

Free Member
Aug 27, 2012
Pleasley.notts.
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
25 years
I pad 3

Can the I pad3 on 3G mi fi work in Europe .( France/ Spain). Don't know a great deal about this technology. Thanks terry

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes.... as long as you have an active sim inside the mifi.

When you say "3G mifi" I presume you mean a separate MiFi unit, as opposed to a standalone "3G" iPad.

Best use a local sim as roaming costs can be exorbitant even still......

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Do not waste your time on the 3G version. In most cases you will be within reach of a "WiFi" spot and all you do is look for that spot and your away......

The iPad mini ( wife has it ) is better than the larger version and easier to hold. I find after about 30 minutes of surfing I have to put my iPad 2 down on a flat surface.

We bought an Ipad with Wifi and 3G (sim) before we went to Europe this year. Having spent most of the past two months in Spain, I would say that finding a Wifi 'hotspot' outside of a campsite is like finding gold at the end of rainbow. :Angry:
We bought an Orange 3G mini sim when we arrived in Spain and it was in use far more than wifi ever was.
Until we got to Benidorm of course and then Wifi is everywhere. :thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We bought an Ipad with Wifi and 3G (sim) before we went to Europe this year. Having spent most of the past two months in Spain, I would say that finding a Wifi 'hotspot' outside of a campsite is like finding gold at the end of rainbow. :Angry:
We bought an Orange 3G mini sim when we arrived in Spain and it was in use far more than WiFi ever was.
Until we got to Benidorm of course and then Wifi is everywhere. :thumb:

When out of range of WiFi, a MiFi unit is a far better option unless the sim in your mobile allows tethering, in which case you can use your phone as your WiFi hotspot.

The Mifi is the better option (imho) to having a 3G enabled iPad, as you can tether several devices at the same time including tablets laptops and even other mobile phones.
The cost of the MiFi unit is significantly cheaper than the additional payment for a 3G iPad. Whatever way you connect to 3G you still need to buy and pay for a sim.

The 3G iPad is only that, 3G, and as now that 4G is up and running in many places at no extra cost, a 4G enabled MiFi is just the job.:thumb:

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.

When out of range of WiFi, a MiFi unit is a far better option unless the sim in your mobile allows tethering, in which case you can use your phone as your WiFi hotspot.

I don't have a mobile phone. :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Can the I pad3 on 3G mi fi work in Europe .( France/ Spain). Don't know a great deal about this technology. Thanks terry

Yes , the Apple website states "use it wherever you are" it is not locked to a server so any nano sim will work

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We've just took the plunge & bought an IPad mini with retina display (whatever that means). Got it mainly for the travelling we have planned for next year.
Even the bloke at curry's/PC world said why bother paying the extra £100 when you can use a mifi for £30. As it happens we already have one so it was a no brainer.
Mind you it's not cheap at over £500 for the 64g model :Eeek:
I have to admit though, I use it instead of the laptop all the time & it seems lightning fast compared to the windows stuff I'm used to.
It's got to last a very long time to justify the cost tho.

Can anyone explain the difference between the mini and the retina version, ?

Ginny

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Any ipad that is wi-fi only does not have GPS built in, worth thinking about if you want to use it for satnav.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back