iPad Killer?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jim, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

2. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

3. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

The fact that they are now having the hardware made exclusively for them is neither here or there, it's all about the OS.

Nokia thought that if they switched to Microsucks for their phone OS they would be saved.

That just hasn't happened.

If they only had Apple OS to contend with, they might have had a dogs chance, but Android is too well established, and I think their main competitor.

Apple has the street cred. Android and Microsucks don't, and that, more than anything else sells the hardware.

Pete:Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I don't think ipads have flash player do they?
    My windows phone doesn't either so can't play the link, I have changed my phone again to one that has, is the galaxy note and tez has inherited mine as he doesn't use flash a lot.

5. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

You sayin Tez aint a Flash git :Eeek:
    With a Helicopter as a Toad:Doh::RollEyes:

6. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Ha ha,wouldn't like to own one of them, that's the rescue helicopter based at John o groats.

Show only I'm told.

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

There are a lot of people who need Windows but many more who just need to get on line.

Tricky one this.

8. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

no, will be staying with Apple

I have migrated away from the Dells of this world (but I still do have 3 of them and one toshiba).. but these days I am in the Apple Mac camp... I still have my original IPAD.. works a treat.. use on on line every day while in France... plus as now I am on my MacBook Pro 15" and that does what it says on the tin... I can partition if I want windows.. but I do run Microsoft Mac word, publisher and excel... work oK on the Mac.... plus I have the Iphon4 and again does just fine.

My up grade to a iPad 2 or 3 to get the G facility.. but it is not urgent the pad is working just fine.

Took a lot of pennies to go over to Apple and I think it was worth it. No plans to go backwards and that is what I see it as... I like the OS on the Mac.

Bob

• Like Like x 2
  9. Wizbangs

Wizbangs

I have an original iPad and 2 iMacs in the office, plus a Macbook. Also an Asus transformer. I use the asus much more than the ipad. I am thinking of getting the asus padfone, though waiting on more user reviews first. For ipad users I came across a clamshell case today, which adds a keyboard. Clever idea that I'd not seen before. Hubby has a Windows laptop, which I hate. As an operating system windoze is rubbish imho.

10. slobadoberbob

i use a key pad on my IPAD

I have a Mac key pad I use at times on my iPad.. it is connected via bluetooth.. I also have a mac stand for the pad so it just becomes another computer if I need it to be. Plus a couple of different carry cases.. one I can slip my hand in to as a glove and use it to read much easier...

Lots of extras for the IPAD on the apple store or in one of the apple shops.. worth a visit if not to just play with the toys.. plus free wifi

Bob:thumb:

11. Viennese

Viennese Funster

And some of us just need to get out more... :BigGrin:

12. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

I have Win 7 and Mac (Old) plus iPad 2......But will have one of these new ones, the day after they come out.:thumb:

I just LooooooVe buttons:Cool:

13. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I wouldn't get one.. However the RT model is interesting as it will mean there are now 3 large OS's running on ARM so hardware manufacturers are going to start doing a lot more with this platform. It will push intel to do more to differentiate..

I think this is the start of a whole new dev cycle in computer form factors and ideas....

14. JJ

JJ Funster

I was thinking along the exact same lines Karl... :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

JJ :Cool:

15. slobadoberbob

GNU all over again?

Bob:Blush:

16. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Gnu already runs on more CPU's and systems than any other OS. Even android requires the GNU toolchain.

This is more about the hardware. For years now I have wanted a top of the range ARM CPU in a laptop format. I might actually get one.

I also predict that within 2 years we will have a personal processor unit. This will be a very small box that includes a cpu, memory and battery and nothing else. This will be plugged into phones, tablets, laptops and desktop format devices allowingn you to take all your data with you and use it on a device in the most convenient format at the time. This won't be a dongle like device that needs a cable to connect, it will be more like a battery that slides into a slot becoming in effect part of the device.

For example the module would sit in my phone most of the time but when I get home I would take it out and plug it into my laptop. This would not only charge my ppu but anything I had running on the phone would be running on the laptop with no boot up and shutdown cycle or saving/transferring data etc.

All your bookmarks and contacts would be stored on this module meaning no more syncing etc.

I would further predict that within 10 years this module would be standardised across manufacturers so you could unplug it from your iPhone and plug it into your dell laptop or unplug your samsung one and plug it into your iPad...

Some devices you plug your ppu into will have additional processors so for example you can play high powered games. Or if you are a photographer you would take pictures on your camera and store them via a personal area network to your PPU. You could then plug the ppu into your main computer at home without once having to use a cable or transfer files...

Anyway. Enough of my dreams:Rofl1::Rofl1:

17. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Basic, non technical reaction to this........

Oh, a tablet with a cover that opens out to be a keyboard.... Isn't that a laptop?:Wink:

I know, it is a bit deeper than that but I never felt the need to use a keyboard with the iPad that I'm using now....... I'll stick with Apple, like Bob.

18. pat101

pat101 Read Only Funster

Any thing with the words Microsoft in it puts me off big time.

I'll stick with paying more for the apple stuff that works thanks.

Pat.

19. Viennese

Viennese Funster

This is really good news!

I haven't a clue what you are talking about Karl!

20. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Currently you have only one choice of CPU type which is x86. You can choose between Intel and AMD.

The other option is ARM cpu's but as the only people who use this cpu are device manufacturers as opposed to general purpose computer manufacturers you don't choose an ARM cpu you choose a device and you have to take the cpu and OS you are given. Computer manufacturers will only make computers for which there is an OS/Software already available.

With windows now being released to work on ARM cpu's. Device manufacturers will now release computers in many formats and with a choice of CPU's. I believe within a year it will be possible to buy a netbook or small laptop with an ARM cpu as it will be worth it for these manufacturers now as they can make one that is locked down for windows RT (ARM) and a none locked version to run android, linux, BSD etc etc etc. The cost base will shared across a much greater volume. Up till now it wasn't worth them doing as the demand for an android based ARM laptop was not big enough to warrant the R&D expense.

Microsoft may have actually done us a favour here and broken our Intel tie in...

We are heading back to a situation like what we had in the 80's where we could choose between a 68000 based computer, an x86 based computer, an ARM based computer or many other choices. Variety causes innovation when it comes to computers... I must admit to being a little bit excited about the future of computers for the first time in 15 years (or more)...

• Like Like x 3