IOW

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by WynandJean, Oct 16, 2010.

1. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

We're off to the Isle Of Wight, anyone recommend places we should visit (not stopovers - we're on a site) but places of interest.

Wyn

2. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

there is an amazing amount of interest on the island - worth getting one of their free tourist guides - pos even in the reception at your campsite - only 4o minutes from one end to the other but weeks of exploring

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You can't miss Osborne House and don't miss the gardens where just how German they were is shown.

4. Loddy

Loddy Read Only Funster

I agree with Brian about Osbourne house, don 't miss the childs house down the garden it even has child size cutlery and china made by the leading makers of the day.

Loddy:Smile:

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

The biggest regret is not being allowed to take pictures in the house. Shame.

But what a history lesson, this must have been the peak of European monarchy, the peak of wealth, power and decadence.

Contrast that with HM cancelling the staff Christmas party this year. I wonder if Victoria gave staff Christmas parties, I think not.

Right by the beach, her wheeled bathing hut, can't have her *walking" to the water can we.

You can see the "Great" in Britain in that place.

6. novawight

novawight Read Only Funster

born and bred over there ,
    any rate what I would suggest is the Shanklin old village,many pretty thatched house,s, a walk down from there down Shanklin Chine, a fine walk along coastal path towards Sandown , a great pub along the way called the Fishermans Cottage, used todo nice lunches there.

Also a nice and very popular pub is the White Mouse at Chale, take the coastel road to Freshwater , and it,s on the right going from Ventnor, a town which is cut off from the rest of the Island, because of the Downs, ( very hilly ) I could probably write a few chapters on the subject, the places i have written about are my favourite haunts, but a guide will give you more insight p.m me if there is anything you would like yo know

7. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Loujess - Does that mean you are going too?

Wyn

8. hailman

hailman Read Only Funster

Nice beaches are Appley, Sandown and Shanklin, Compton, Totland and more deserted ones in between but with more restricted access. Nice villages are Godshill, Brighstone, Shorwell, Chale. Nice towns are Bembridge, Yarmouth Ventnor, Freshwater, Cowes, Newport and Ryde.
    Shopping needs to be done in Newport or the big new Tesco in Ryde.

For attractions, pick up a (free) copy of `Island Visitor` on the ferry, everything else you have to pay for. :BigGrin:

Coastal walks and cycle paths, forests, hills, great pubs and restaurants.

No wonder I live here! :BigGrin:

Don`t forget, the roads are bumpy, potholey and narrow :Eeek: Look out for young blond mums in Range Rovers, shades on, fag in one hand phone in the other, hurtling round the lanes with blinkers on. They won`t even acknowledge you are already IN the hedge. :Rofl1:

Oh yeh, and have FUN! :thumb:

9. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Thanks - we're really looking forward to it :Smile:

Wyn

10. novawight

novawight Read Only Funster

Did,nt see any blond mums in range rovers, we had to walk to school Nipper, how times have changed, me with me drum kit stuffed into a Morris Minor