IOM TT 2016 (1 Viewer)

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I know exactly what your saying, its still cracking racing but the lack of dedicated race bikes take's something away from racing these days, apart from Moto GP the sidecar class is now the only proper race bike class & they have even forced us to use production based engines, Its not good for innovation & design.
This is why I so enjoyed watching the Suter 2 stroke,everyone loved the sound and the smell,some of the younger visitors had never even smelt Castrol R before,also the replica Moto Gp bike,different sound.
Trouble is there as on here there are always some detractors or spoilsports or killjoys,each to their own I guess but live and let live.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Mmmm Castrol 2 stroke brings back memories of my youth.:)

The smell of Castrol R mingled with frying bacon in the Snetterton paddock in my youth!, a memorable aroma l can never forget.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
l lost interest when all the bikes became production based.

You are hard to please. Way over 200 bhp, over 200 mph. How much more do you want on a bumpy public road ?

That RCV Honda is the nearest thing you can get to a MotoGP and it got well beaten by the production bikes. I have to wonder why anyone would pay £180,000 for one.

The Norton is a sort of thinly disguised MotoGP bike isn't it. Also beaten by the production bikes.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
200 mph is very impressive,on them roads,
I'm not disputing that, but I preferred when the races featured real racing bikes, designed solely for racing, not modified road bikes, no matter what the specs.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
200 mph is very impressive,on them roads,
I'm not disputing that, but I preferred when the races featured real racing bikes, designed solely for racing, not modified road bikes, no matter what the specs.
Pure racing bikes won't cope with TT course as well as sorted proddy bikes. And wouldn't be as reliable.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
real racing bikes, designed solely for racing, not modified road bikes, no matter what the specs.

It's splitting hairs time. There is only one ultimate race bike, it's the MotoGP bike. 1000cc, 250 bhp, Carbon brakes, light. Or you have a top sports bike in race spec. 1000cc, 240 bhp, steel brakes, heavy.

You could say that the sports bikes are designed for racing on real roads, the MotoGP guys moan like **** if there is a bit of a ripple in the tarmac and Luis Salom's death is put down to no more than ripples in the tarmac.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Pure racing bikes won't cope with TT course as well as sorted proddy bikes. And wouldn't be as reliable.

Have to agree in fact I'm not sure a Motogp bike could survive 6 laps of the TT course.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997

Maybe not nowadays, but in the past they did cope, Yamaha TZ, MV, Manx Nortons, Honda 4 and 6, none of them modified road bikes., not as fast as today's bikes, but in their era, the racing was exiting, and the sounds much more exotic.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
image.jpeg
At my Marshalling point at the TT managed to chat to the recent fastest newcomer ever at the TT.
Joshua Brookes ex BSB and now WSBK racer was happy to spend some time talking to us marshals,during a break in the racing.
Real nice guy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back