Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
There was a program on TV only last night about Formula 1 safety, It was pointed out if you told a driver that car 1 was guaranteed 100% safe & car 2 was not but was 2 seconds a lap faster, which car would he pick, it was always going to be car 2, because that's what your there for to go as fast as you can. The TT is no different. It was a good move in my mind when it was removed from world championships, as now riders go there of their own choice & not compelled to do it because they had too for the championship.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Itv 4 program on now about the TT about some kid called joey Dunlop

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hutchy was awesome today but bloody hell that was close at the end I thought he was off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Is it a case of the bikes getting faster and therefore the course is less suitable for racing. Is there a need to restrict the performance of the bikes. Assuming that the organisers do a risk assessment could they conclude the circuit is just too dangerous and not suitable for racing.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ooohhh.. a new oxymoron to add to my every growing list.. risk assessment of a race :rofl:

my risk assessment of a race.. It is bloody dangerous
And it makes no odds if you are racing mobility scooters, lawn mowers, motorcycles or paper boats.. As soon as human natures competitive spirit gets going no one is safe !

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
You either get it or you don't :doh: I suppose if you're not a person who likes taking risks you'll never understand it.
That doesn't make it wrong just different and in this grey boring risk averse namby pamby society we live in today in my book Different Is Good.:moon2:
If the risk averse have their way they'd ban everything mountain climbing, sky diving, rugby scrums, motorbikes, conkers, riding a bicycle without stabilizers, using a scissors etc etc.:Eeek:
Hopefully I'll be long gone before the grey people get their way.:RollEyes:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I know they can't stop the racing incidents, but hasn't there been more road crashes than normal?

Maybe that's an area they need to look at. Yes I do know they work hard. Maybe some new ideas?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It was a good move in my mind when it was removed from world championships

Yes, it's totally different to "normal" racing. Nurburgring the same.

The the evil side in me would love to see the whining brats who think Barcelona is a bumpy track be forced to race The Island.

Watching the on-board down Bray Hill, absolutely totally insane. Which of course is why they do it.

Deleted User
Ooohhh.. a new oxymoron to add to my every growing list.. risk assessment of a race :rofl:

my risk assessment of a race.. It is bloody dangerous
And it makes no odds if you are racing mobility scooters, lawn mowers, motorcycles or paper boats.. As soon as human natures competitive spirit gets going no one is safe !
Interesting comment about risk assessment. Every activity that involves event insurance cover requires a risk assessment for the insurance to be valid. I am on the committee of a local angling club and had to carry out a risk assessment to comply with the conditions of the insurance.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I know mate.. It is not stupidity on the part of those who insist on such tripe.. it is a fear of loosing their job..
The type of person who instigated the rubbish has to constantly look for new things that can be a hazard.. If they cannot find 'dangerous' things then they have no job !!

I have news for the .. (I am struggling to find a suitable non-profane pronoun here.. ) 'people' who instigate it all.., the amount of stress and anger they cause is far more likely to cause a danger than their pathetic attempts to avoid such catastrophes as paper cuts !

Most of em need to get a proper job and get out in the real world.....

What makes you think I do not rate those in the H & S regime very highly ? :whistle:

Deleted User
The last time I went to the IOM TT was in 1975 and I remember in those days if there was a lamp post in a dangerous place on a bend the they would put a straw bale in front of it. I note now from watching it on TV that they pay a little more attention to things like that.
Have to say it is the most incredible racing of any type I have seen and the average lap times are unbelievable. Unfortunately it is one race where often your first mistake is sadly your last.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Interesting comment about risk assessment..

Prime example last weekend. Luis Salom died because of poor risk assessment. The run off area where he died was way too short. So for the race they altered the course by adding ( an existing, how sad is that ) chicane. The riders had assessed the risk of this corner and accepted it, they were wrong for under the right/wrong conditions it turned out a killer. The chicane was in place because F1 had already deemed it unsafe and had new tarmac laid to create a chicane.

In F1 and bike racing it was just common place for racers to die on a more or less weekly basis, who on here can't name a load of dead racers but due to Jackie Stewart in particular, improvements have been made that have made a death a rare occurrence.

Sadly you can't do this on the TT course. Money takes precedence over lives.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
No one wants to see riders / drivers / climbers etc get killed and prevention is a good thng. The problem is if the Ban It Brigade had their way we wouldn't be allowed do anything.
Like @Jaws I think a lot of H&S is just job creation. This is from someone who had 600 staff in heavy industry and a large H&S department. A lot of my time was taken up sorting arguments between the guys doing the work and the H&S department who seemed determined to make the job as difficult as possible. Sometimes I really did wonder if they were from a different planet as common sense or an understanding of the difficulty doing the job was way beyond them.
Thank god I don't have to listen to the bullshit nowadays as its obviously got worse.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Didn't work Deleted

Last edited:

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
12557083_10201146891392233_511680931_o.jpg
John Holden Andy Winkle Tim Reeves Pat Ferrance (y)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Wow Hutchy is on fire now equal with Hailwood. Really though Dunlop might push him with the Appleyard engine but no chance.
Hes the quiet assassin.:eek:

Gotta get a satellite signal now as in France from tomorrow can't miss the last 2 days.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Sad News RIP Ian Bell top man from a top family.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
5 deaths now. I appreciate that there are a lot of people on here that love the TT and will defend the freedom of choice of riders to take part to the hilt, but hasn't it got too fast and too dangerous over the years? The course was never meant to accommodate such fast machines. I don't know what the answer is, but there must be one. Banning it should only be a last resort as it gives so many people such pleasure as well as considering the financial benefit to the island, but 5 deaths for gods sake? At the risk of being ridiculed by the experts, would some kind of speed limit be possible? I don't want to take part in an argument on a subject I know nothing about, but surely 5 deaths is 5 deaths too many?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
5 deaths now. I appreciate that there are a lot of people on here that love the TT and will defend the freedom of choice of riders to take part to the hilt, but hasn't it got too fast and too dangerous over the years? The course was never meant to accommodate such fast machines. I don't know what the answer is, but there must be one. Banning it should only be a last resort as it gives so many people such pleasure as well as considering the financial benefit to the island, but 5 deaths for gods sake? At the risk of being ridiculed by the experts, would some kind of speed limit be possible? I don't want to take part in an argument on a subject I know nothing about, but surely 5 deaths is 5 deaths too many?
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Snaefell_Mountain_Course_fatalities

I've no doubt the argument you make has been made on many occasions. The answer to it is another question: How fast is too fast? Year on year improvements are made to machines, rider equipment, and the road itself, and many of the improvements are to improve safety or survival after an accident. It will never be, and nor should it be, 'safe'. If it was ever made so most of those competing would find another, equally dangerous, way to live life on the edge. As Forestboy said 'You either get it or you don't'.

If there was a speed limit everyone would arrive at the Finish in the order in which they started:).

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Oh no I was aware of 4, not heard about the 5th so sad.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
So as today's cars are far too fast for the road conditions should we,
A) put a limit on the performance of cars?
B) ban all cars?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
So as today's cars are far too fast for the road conditions should we,
A) put a limit on the performance of cars?
B) ban all cars?

Who said that they are too fast for road conditions? If anything, they are too fast for the majority of drivers and other road users.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
The point is if it's about saving lives then that would be the obvious conclusion. But it's not, it's about curtailing the risks people are prepared to take in the pursuit of their pleasure to appease some do-gooder who's biggest risk is deciding which socks to put on in the morning.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Is it too fast ?

40 years ago they were doing 175. Now they're doing 200.

Not much difference if you crash.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

My son's just got back from watching his first TT - loved it -going next year

Extreme sports bring extreme danger - not for me but not for me to say others shouldn't do it

Sad that anyone dies but they know the risks and are brave enough to take them....

Watch and admire...........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back