Invertor type/size

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by anjer, Sep 13, 2009.

1. anjer

anjer Read Only Funster

My 15 inch 12volt tv combi is playing up; the DCVD won't eject. Will be getting a new drive belt tomorrow - hopefully. However, if that doesn't fix it since the TV unit is OK I could use a 230volt Matsui DVD player that I have. But no invertor in the van (like wild camping and Aires in France - no hookup). So what is the best invertor to consider also bearing in mind that I will be getting an electric bike in the future and will need to run the bike's battery charger.
    Thanks

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if it was just to run the DVD then i'd say save yer money and buy a new 12v/230v TV instead.
    around £120 for a 15" TV/DVD combo from asda/tesco etc

a 150w invertor will run your DVD but buy the biggest you can afford.

i got a 500w invertor from halfords a couple of years ago for £49.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

I agree with papa ..

all I would add, if you use an inverter to charge an electric bike it will severely deplete the leisure battery.. unless you have a big bank ..

jim

4. anjer

anjer Read Only Funster

"if it was just to run the DVD then i'd say save yer money and buy a new 12v/230v TV instead.
    around £120 for a 15" TV/DVD combo from asda/tesco etc"
    Gents, which particular models do you mean the ones I can see seem to be mains only?
    Thanks

5. G4GMO

G4GMO Read Only Funster

I run a 230v 15" tv/dvd combo from a 300w inverter but the dvd section plays up when the battery voltage drops much below fully charged. I think this is because of it being an ordinary (modified sine wave) inverter. Probably wouldn't get this problem with a True Sine Wave Inverter so might be worth getting a True Sine Wave Inverter. Also these cheaper tvs tend to come with a 12v power supply, if you want to run the tv directly off the 12v batteries you'll probably find you'll need a 12v to 13.8v dc/dc regulator to get the correct voltage for the tv.

6. Andy 01424

Andy 01424 Read Only Funster