Inverters & Microwave Oven

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by steve14364, Jan 22, 2013.

1. steve14364

steve14364 Read Only Funster

Hi,

My company has an account with this supplier

http://avslgroup.com/en/product/651.671UK

I have just received the big 2500W version which costs £130.00+vat

My question, can I connect this to the existing combination of van batters (under the passenger seat) which is wired to a leisure battery (under the seating table)

When the engine is running can the alternator give enough power to run this microwave oven

http://www.brennands.co.uk/russell-...crowave-oven-grill-25l-rhm2506/prod_2366.html

The inverter is modified sine wave and is supplied with 2 red and 2 black heavy duty hook up wires.

Any tips?

Thanks

PS anyone interested in getting an inverter, they are on special offer at the moment, seen the selling for anything from £180 to £280

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  2. jezport

jezport Funster

Microwaves are better suited to pure sinewave inverters, although some modified sinewave inverters will run some microwaves.

The microwave you propose running will flatten your batteries in no time possibly instantly. If you have to have a microwave go for a low output one 500 to 600w is best.

Microwaves use more power on start up than the quoted input or output power.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I doubt it, though with a Sterling Alt to Battery Charger it should Just about. Not recommended unless you have at least 3 batteries though or the high charge rate will damage the plates.

4. steve14364

What about an updated alternator? I did see the information from

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/more-docs/SterlingAlternToBattCharg03.htm

And this interesting video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKURbJOoICk"]Sterling Power - charging batteries - YouTube[/ame]

Perhaps 2 large batteries, I've seen 142Ah. Don't know if there are any larger. 2 of them would do the job?

Also thought about a diesel generator, perhaps I can convert one and use the van's fuel tank and should be able to mount underneath the vehicle.

5. steve14364

6. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Steve.

You can run a microwave from an inverter.

I do.

I also have all my sockets wired up to go live when I switch the inverter on.

I have a Battery to Battery charger to kick more power from the ordinary alternator in to the leisure battery's negating much of the drain.

So I can every morning, run my microwave for my porridge without needing to start my engine.

If I need a pie on the route to somewhere, again, I use my Microwave whilst the engine is running to heat pies.

The normal drain is about 100amps but only used for a minute or two it doesn't equate to much. However with my B2B replacing 45amps of that the drain is even smaller, and simply leaving the engine running a little longer makes it all "ok".

The trouble might be in the items you highlight, best with a lower watt Microwave, my inverter is 1800w and it's not pure sine wave it's quasi sine wave and works fine.

Link

http://www.shop.sterling-power.com/acatalog/Battery_to_Battery_Chargers_.html

http://www.shop.sterling-power.com/acatalog/12V-3.html

7. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

How many batteries or what battery power do you have?

I only have 110 Amphr and many new vans have less.

8. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

DON'T take a risk
    Give it to me I will give it a good home for you
    Your van might not like it being fitted in her. He he he

Pure sign wave is what you need for a microwave. You could burn out the mother board on modified sign wave

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Soooo .....

Coming off the mains is the most awful sine wave you can find.. You should see some of the wave forms I have looked out out in the wilds of Norfolk !! Absolutely filthy with spikes anbd dips all over the place..

Most modern equipment has pretty good filters fitted, and most that use an onboard PSU also emply fairly sturdy switch mode units which, thanks to the filters are very happy to work on most AC sources

The only iffy bit is the klystron, but again, with modern filtration in the gate of the on board PSU , that really should not be an issue

I ran our microwave on a crabby old 1.8kw 2T unit for ages before the stink and the noise made me swap it for a decent 2kW Kipor !!

10. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

You could save your self a fortune and use a COOKER, there's nothing That
    can't be cooked on one, and if I'm away off site I prefer to cook on any thing but !
    Vlad.

11. missbusybusy

missbusybusy Read Only Funster

Steve
    before you purchase check via g**gle other companies are selling for £125+vat delivered
    cheers

12. jezport

jezport Funster

We bought a mini Samsung 550w microwave to use in our van but decided we were never in a rush for food so didn't use it.

I still have it if anyone is interested in buying one.

• Like Like x 1