Inverters how do you decide? (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The only coffee I enjoy is NESCAFE original.

(Although I am not convinced that what we buy these days IS original as I can remember when Nescafe was a powder in a tin (60 plus years ago)).

Dave

:sick::sick::sick:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Camp coffee, lovely.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have always tried to be completely12v self sufficient, have 12v charges for laptop etc. Last year we brought e-bikes so needed a way to charge them as we don't use EHU's, fitted a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter, 1000 watt the biggest I could get under the passenger seat which is next to the battery well. Brought a fairly cheap one working on the theory that it would be better than a modified sine one.
I have 200 watts of solar and like Jim 2 x 80A/H Gels, chargers take a max of 1.5 amps average is around 1 amp. I try to charge the e-bike batteries before they are completely flat so I don't cane the van batteries too often.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Isn't all coffee just flavoured water?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Hi Tony @Brakers Just remember, the coffee machine I showed you is rated 1400w, when running the heat cycle it ramped up the amps to 168, you need an inverter that can handle that, and a way of replacing the power.
We are currently sat on the continent, with plenty of sun to replenish our consumption. Most of our other appliances are 12v. This is not always the case in England, so you may need to look at hook-ups to replenish your battery bank every now and then.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have a Jura Ena 5 bean to cup coffee maker in the van - would not be able to face the world in the morning without it. Chose it because it is only 900 watts.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Tony @Brakers Just remember, the coffee machine I showed you is rated 1400w, when running the heat cycle it ramped up the amps to 168, you need an inverter that can handle that, and a way of replacing the power.
Hi Daniel Great to hear from you, yes I do remember seeing your rig and was taken aback to see it work and the Amps which it was drawing.
I'm not one for spending money when I don't have to and I already have said I want an inverter but apart from the saying you get what you pay for there isn't a lot to distinguish why one inverter from the medium cost ones to the very high price ones are any different.
Anyway I'll let you get back to your suntan.
Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Isn't all coffee just flavoured water?
There is a theory going about that if you block your nose then they say people cant tell they are drinking coffee just hot water. But it smells nice anyway LOL

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Think over very carefully what you REALLY need one for .. ask the question.. is there a better option ? Then think on the power it will use and how long your batteries will last .. then buy something more useful.. like a hob percolator.. :LOL:
Yes there is a better way but until I win the Lottery I'll have to compromise :)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We've got a victron multplus compact inverter/ charger. It does everything it says on the tin, and more.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
We bought an inverter because we "really wanted" one not because we "really needed" one why should we "just survive" yes we could make coffee in a cafetière and heat milk in a pan BUT it's not the same as milk in the microwave and then frothed with a aero latte and a shot of coffee from the Nespresso machine. My wife could have dried her hair with a towel and let the sun finish the rest off BUT why should she, we have plenty of solar and a bit of common sense so no worries.

Martin
You tell them Martin :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
apart from the saying you get what you pay for there isn't a lot to distinguish why one inverter from the medium cost ones to the very high price ones are any different

Until you want to charge something with very sensitive electronics, i.e. something with a touch screen, and use it at the same time.

That's when you'll find out what the difference is (y)

Reactions: JJ
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We're sat in the MH on the shore of Lake Iseo drinking a rather nice coffee right now.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Total watts/amps/volts used = 0.

Just in case anyone cares the beans were Maragogype purchased in Chamonix.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
If God had wanted us to have poncy coffee making machines, He wouldn't have sent us Starbucks and Costa Coffee...
Some would say that He Did ;-)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We've got a victron multplus compact inverter/ charger. It does everything it says on the tin, and more.
Although being a relative newcomer to this forum the one company I have never heard any adverse comments about are Victron. I bought one of their solar controllers based on feedback I read on here and I've no reason to doubt their inverters are any different. I am sure there is some good stuff out there on eBay but Victron products are not outlandishly expensive and they respond promptly to emails in my experience. They may be Dutch but don't hold that against them.

I'm thinking of getting an inverter and Victron will be the first place I look.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Although being a relative newcomer to this forum the one company I have never heard any adverse comments about are Victron. I bought one of their solar controllers based on feedback I read on here and I've no reason to doubt their inverters are any different. I am sure there is some good stuff out there on eBay but Victron products are not outlandishly expensive and they respond promptly to emails in my experience. They may be Dutch but don't hold that against them.

I'm thinking of getting an inverter and Victron will be the first place I look.
Great choice, but get a good installer who knows the kit, you will reap the reward.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Until you want to charge something with very sensitive electronics, i.e. something with a touch screen, and use it at the same time.

That's when you'll find out what the difference is (y)

Got to disagree, I have a sterling 1800 watt modified sine wave inverter, and I have yet to find anything that won't run of it, or anything that throws a wobbly when running from it. It's runs my lenovo lappy, the wife's Acer, various older lappys now out to pasture, various android tablets, a windows tablet, various phones, the 32" and 21" tellys, sat box etc. I think you get the picture.:D

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I`m feeling rather inadequate now after reading this thread, I must have really un-sophisticated taste buds.
I like tea, usually Yorkshire and I like coffee, usually Kenco instant which tastes just fine to me.
I`ve enjoyed filter coffee but never felt the need to bother with it on a regular basis never mind go to the expense of one of those fancy machines with the (expensive) pods.
What I understand even less is the nations current obsessive need to carry around a cup of vastly overpriced Starbucks / Costa coffee wherever they go like they will get withdrawal symptoms if ever separated.
It reminds me a little of a few years ago when everyone walked around town carrying a bottle of mineral water.
Are they necessary mobile refreshments or fashion accessories ?
Apologies to OP for going off thread

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
im with figaro my son bought us a coffee making chromium plated coffee maker which i refer to as the white elephant it costs a fortune to feed and good manners stop me from selling
prior to Nellie arriving our coffee bill was probably under a fiver a year

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back