Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Inverter as given up, was making a high pitched noise recently when it was turned on, followed the wiring back to the leisure battery but can't see anything visible, can't see any fuses for it, the fault light on it never come on at all when it made the high pitched noise and didn't make it for very long, seen one on Towsure for £80 anyone got recommendations for one if this can't get sorted, any ideas or help appreciated TIA.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The high pitched noise is often an alarm in the inverter indicating a low input voltage. Are you sure the leisure battery is well charged? If not, it can cause the symptoms you describe. Also, have you plugged in something new to the inverter? If the cabling supplying the inverter is not sufficiently large and the load applied to the output end is s bit higher than you have tried before, that might indicate voltage drop along the input cable between battery and inverter. I would check to ensure the inverter really is broken before replacing.

p.s. there should be a fuse in the positive supply between the battery and inverter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
deanroofing

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
My lad put is charge lead for is mac into it, as we don't tend to plug anything into very often, the leisure battery is only about 400-500mm away felt along live feed but can't detect anything, my lad said he was playing the xbox when it went, but this as been in the van since we had it so no change there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Depending on model, the Mac power adapter can be quite power hungry. If it's a MacBook Pro, the adapter is a 90 watt. If an Xbox was running at the same time, that might be enough to lead to voltage drop. What is the rated output (in watts) of the inverter and how thick are cables supplying the inverter from the battery?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
In that case my earlier comments are not relevant - it should not be overloaded, neither should there be any significant voltage drop along the cables. Your original diagnosis may be correct. If replacing, I would get a trusted brand (Waeco, Sterling, Victron) but they come at a price. Do you need such a large inverter (1,000 W) in view of your likely usage? If it's just for running the items you have mentioned, a 300 W would be ample, you might need only a 150 W.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
deanroofing

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
We really only use it for tv and lightweight stuff will the xbox use much,so you reckon 150/300 be ample, thanks for all your input.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back