Aspire

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
can you please help me I have a Banner energy bull leisure Battery new 110amp I also have a 90 watt solar panel I am unable to fit a larger Battery in the compartment and there is no room to fit a second Battery I am wanting to put a 1500 amp inverter in to use a coffee machine approx 10 minutes a day would there be enough power in the Battery to run an inverter

Thanks

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi

So it's 1500 watts inverter which at max output could be pulling 125 amps, it comes down to how much power you actually need to drive the coffee machine and for how long, is it a Nespresso type machine as these don't run for very long at all and may be OK from the single battery but 10 minutes of hard work could be pushing things a bit.

Do you have more information on your coffee machine.

Martin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
10 minutes total will draw around 21 amps plus inverter loses.....maybe 22 to 23a in total.
It will take a LONG time in good sun to replace that with a 90 watt panel..longer still if the sun is weak.
If the machine is a lower wattage than the inverter it will draw less and be replaced faster.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Aspire

Aspire

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Hi

So it's 1500 watts inverter which at max output could be pulling 125 amps, it comes down to how much power you actually need to drive the coffee machine and for how long, is it a Nespresso type machine as these don't run for very long at all and may be OK from the single battery but 10 minutes of hard work could be pushing things a bit.

Martin

OP
OP
Aspire

Aspire

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Hi

Martin

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Pappajohn is spot on, yes you can have a cup of coffee but not so likely the next day, the panel will lose the battle.

And this in a splendid summer, forget the rest of the year.

Gas is wonderful.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Our Nespresso pulls 125 amps when running
My concern would be with your ability to recharge the battery with so little solar

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Although it is pedantic ................ and people who understand the relationship between Amps, Volts, Watts, and time, will understand anyway, it would help others if units were used correctly. So it's a 1500W inverter which will draw around 1500/12 = 125A if fully utilised and 125Ah if used for one hour.

As Martin says we need the consumption of the coffee maker in Watts and a best guess of the length of time it will be in use (total per day). Your panel isn't over-large so as PPJ suggests it is unlikely to put back the energy that the coffee machine uses unless the day is bright and sunny - especially as it also has to replace energy used by the pump, lights, heating, TV, radio, etc as well.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I had a feeling that our Nespresso Pixie is 1200 watts so closer to 100amps but whatever 125 or 100 the spec says the warm up time is 25 seconds and then it may take another 10 seconds to dispense a shot so you could be looking at 35 seconds at say 100 or 125 amps so looking at 1.25ah which is not a lot, OK you might entertain and make 2 or even 4 cups so up to 5ah which you should be able to put back with the one solar panel,on a half decent day. Now don't tell me you have the milk warmer/frother as that could take a lot more.

The only other thing I would say is that a Nespresso machine will need a pure sine inverter.

Martin

OP
OP
Aspire

Aspire

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Hi sorry about the information the coffee machine is 1250 watts it is a small nespresso
Alan​

OP
OP
Aspire

Aspire

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Unfortunately you are correct there is a milk frothier as well that rating is 480w
I will be on electric sites some days it may be just 3 days without electricity
Alan

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We use our coffee machine on the inverter all the time, Dolce Gusto, but similar power drain. Just be aware, a 110ah battery only gives you 55ah of usable power (musn't deplete a battery below 50%)
Depending on your other power requirements, you may just eek out enough power. On non-sunny days we would frequently run out of electricity when we had 2 x 110ah batteries, we have 150w of solar on the roof.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Unfortunately you are correct there is a milk frothier as well that rating is 480w
I will be on electric sites some days it may be just 3 days without electricity
Alan
OK at a guess that could double or even quadruple your power requirements and if you had twice the battery capacity I would say "no problem" it's not that you won't have the capacity as the calculation show that you have but it is how the battery handles that level of draw for a prolonged period and what happens to the voltage and ultimately the life of the battery. And of course recharging becomes more difficult.

In conclusion you are most likely pushing or exceeding the limits of one battery and should possibly develop a taste for black coffee.

Martin

OP
OP
Aspire

Aspire

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Thanks for that Martin your help has been invaluable

Kind Regards Alan

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We use a 1200w expresso coffee machine run this off an inverter, connected to a standalone 110Ah battery.

We stuck a plugin energy monitor to see the draw the coffee machine made to make a couple of frothy coffees. From switch on to switch off 15 minutes, it only draws the full 1200w when heating water up for about 5 of the 15min, the pump draws some power but not a lot, rest of the time drawing minimum.

OP
OP
Aspire

Aspire

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Thanks for your comment what I did forget to say the coffee machine is a nespresso pixie but there is a separate milk frother does is yours similar
Kindest regards Alan

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes it has frothing wand, this uses the same water tank and boiler as the coffee pump, so quite efficient I suppose.

I did note the exact watts consumed for the whole process from on to off, but have no idea where they are now. But making 2 coffees twice a day was entirely possible.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Neil

That looks like really useful info for the OP, do you know how low the volts go on the single battery while the machine is running, I assume your inverter has low volts cut out but works OK so must be OK.

Martin

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Neil

That looks like really useful info for the OP, do you know how low the volts go on the single battery while the machine is running, I assume your inverter has low volts cut out but works OK so must be OK.

Martin
It's all noted down in great detail on the piece of paper I had at the time, even then I thought this is quite useful I should put this somewhere safe, but sadly I did not make a note of where I put it!:(

What I remember is that with my coffee machine (1200w) I reckoned I would be able to make 2 coffees (a 15 minute session) at least 10 times before having to put charge into the battery or in anyway damaging the battery, also the voltage on the battery once at rest after a single session had not changed. My assumption was that coffee machines have very small water boilers and they are quite efficient so you are only heating the water you need.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I would recommend making real coffee the way most Italian families do, by using a stove top moka pot. No electricity involved at all! Lovely italian coffee every time.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I would recommend making real coffee the way most Italian families do, by using a stove top moka pot. No electricity involved at all! Lovely italian coffee every time.
With all that clean up afterwards.(n) Granules getting everywhere, blocking the sink or soaking through the waste bin bag. :eek: Tassimo pods all the time.(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Totally agree have the stainless steel equivalents of the Moka pot, large and medium size ones at home and medium size one in the van used daily wherever we are.

With all that clean up afterwards.(n) Granules getting everywhere, blocking the sink or soaking through the waste bin bag. :eek: Tassimo pods all the time.(y)
Yet to have a coffee from a pod machine that I consider to be a decent cup of coffee & the pods are stupidly expensive compared to ground coffee.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
the pods are stupidly expensive compared to ground coffee.

Now that they are,(n) but as an occasional drinker, the cost and ease of use, far out weighs the effort Jane would have to go through clearing up after real coffee.:D2 :cautious::cautious:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back