Inverter questions (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
If using a 1200W hairdryer is a 1200W inverter sufficient or is it better to have a larger inverter than the power of the appliance you are using?
The price of inverters varies tremendously so has anyone bought one of the cheap eBay modified inverters for £30 and found them ok or are they best avoided for a better quality.
Does anyone have an inverter they are using that they would be happy to recommend? ::bigsmile:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Its always best to have it larger than needed then it's not working out at full capacity.... Dont think your are going to get anything that big for £30. AND watch how they list the power, sometimes they list the very maximum and the inverter can only stand that for a short time...

NOTE.. 1200 watts is 100 amps !! So even using for 5 mins will take about 8.5amps out your battery.. Cut down on the heat and use a lower setting, that will reduce the wattage required...

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Its always best to have it larger than needed then it's not working out at full capacity.... Dont think your are going to get anything that big for £30. AND watch how they list the power, sometimes they list the very maximum and the inverter can only stand that for a short time...

NOTE.. 1200 watts is 100 amps !! So even using for 5 mins will take about 8.5amps out your battery.. Cut down on the heat and use a lower setting, that will reduce the wattage required...

Please can you explain how you work this out. I would like to know so I can work out an idea of how much I can use tv, laptop etc while wild camping. I thought I remembered it from college but now I'm confused.:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Please can you explain how you work this out. I would like to know so I can work out an idea of how much I can use tv, laptop etc while wild camping. I thought I remembered it from college but now I'm confused.:Blush:

It's a think called Ohm's law... Do a google search but dont cry as you read it, really it is easy..

1200 watts of power (the amount used by the dryer) divide by the voltage.. in this case leisure battery at 12v = 100amps
Now this figure is based on an hours use. So run that dryer for an hour and you will consume 100amps.. AND before anyone gets to technical and says "but the Inverter uses power" I am trying to keep things simple..:winky:

so 100amps in an hour divide by 12 (5 min sections) = 8.33 amps in 5 mins...
Now the Inverter will consume power and have some loss, say 10% so add another .83 amps... Total use around 9.16 amps..

Does that make sense...
Another example.. TV... LED low power, 20watts..
20 divide by 12v = 1.66 amps per hour...

It's a basic formula and almost every electrical device will state its power in watts.. Big items like heaters use kw (kilowatts) 1,000 watts = 1 kw

Here ends today lesson..
Tomorrow.. Opening cider tins and their re-cycle uses lol

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Plenty of threads on inverters if you care to search, I installed a 2000w to run bits and pieces when off ehu. Fine for the 900 watt kettle but failed miserably to run a 1450w coffee machine. It's been said they only run at 70% of there stated wattage (if that) if I remember correctly so you're asking a bit much of it for the dryer. :Smile:

Edit: Just re-read your post, mine's a Ring from Halfords, paid about £210 for it when on offer in May.

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I do believe that watts and amps calculations must be made with the voltage taken into consideration... I don't think 3 amps at 12 volts is the same as 3 amps at 220 volts!

JJ :Cool:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Plenty of threads on inverters if you care to search, I installed a 2000w to run bits and pieces when off ehu. Fine for the 900 watt kettle but failed miserably to run a 1450w coffee machine. It's been said they only run at 70% of there stated wattage (if that) if I remember correctly so you're asking a bit much of it for the dryer. :Smile:

Edit: Just re-read your post, mine's a Ring from Halfords, paid about £210 for it when on offer in May.

Our 2100 W Ring inverter achieves its rated output easily.
Was it your inverter of battery which wasn't up to the job?:Eeek:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Sack him !!!!!!!!!!!
Should be able to do it in his head or on a piece of torn off cardboard and a stubby pencil..
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ.. Yes 3 amps at 240v and 12v are not the same..
One will give you a "tingle" the other :cry:

Let me give you a clue our fitters nickname
BLACKDOG
He owns 3 tools
14 pound hammer
Big shifter
Just in case 28 pound hammer

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Our 2100 W Ring inverter achieves its rated output easily.
Was it your inverter of battery which wasn't up to the job?:Eeek:

Neither, the coffee machine's a complicated bit of kit.
T'was explained on earlier threads. My internet, phone line is about to be cut off, we're on a ship or two to the UK today.

electricscott

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
Buckden Marina
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year
I do believe that watts and amps calculations must be made with the voltage taken into consideration... I don't think 3 amps at 12 volts is the same as 3 amps at 220 volts!

JJ :Cool:

amps are the same, what is different is the amount of power they can generate and this down to the voltage since watts = volts x amps so:

3 x 12 = 36 watts
3 x 240 = 720 watts

garlicmonster

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
Derby
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
.... of course a hairdryer is also an inductive load, so you really need to consider the power factor

On a.c.

P=VI cos phi

But that's just me being a pendant

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
It's a think called Ohm's law... Do a google search but dont cry as you read it, really it is easy..

1200 watts of power (the amount used by the dryer) divide by the voltage.. in this case leisure battery at 12v = 100amps
Now this figure is based on an hours use. So run that dryer for an hour and you will consume 100amps.. AND before anyone gets to technical and says "but the Inverter uses power" I am trying to keep things simple..:winky:

so 100amps in an hour divide by 12 (5 min sections) = 8.33 amps in 5 mins...
Now the Inverter will consume power and have some loss, say 10% so add another .83 amps... Total use around 9.16 amps..

Does that make sense...
Another example.. TV... LED low power, 20watts..
20 divide by 12v = 1.66 amps per hour...

It's a basic formula and almost every electrical device will state its power in watts.. Big items like heaters use kw (kilowatts) 1,000 watts = 1 kw

Here ends today lesson..
Tomorrow.. Opening cider tins and their re-cycle uses lol

The above is pure gobbledegook...

For example "So run that dryer for an hour and you will consume 100amps" ---- this should be 100 amps instantaneous power and will deplete the battery by 100 amphours.

Amps is a bit like speed, amp hours is a bit like distance.

All in all a very misleading and confusing post.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
as a quick guide I use, 1amp @ 230v = 20amp & 12v

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I have a 1500 watt modified sine wave inverter and it works fine with a 1200 watt hair dryer. It's not too happy on full load and on reflection would have bought a slightly higher - 2000 watt.

The inverter cost me £30.00 but remember it's a modified sine wave inverter. People have stated that if you intend to run TV's, computers etc then yopu may need a pure sine wave inverter which costs quite a bit more.

When connectining to the leisure batteries you will need some heavy duty(16mm2) cable to carry the load efficiently. 120 amp inline fuse and good connectors.

The hardest part is bending the heavy duty cable so suggest that if you intend to install that you keep cable runs short and as straight as possible.

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
So can anyone tell me if I have worked this out correctly:

I can buy a 1500w modified sine wave inverter and it will cope fine with my hairdryer.

I need to wire the inverter as close to the leisure batteries as possible.

As my TV runs on 12v and my IPAD and IPhone both charge using a 12v adaptor there is no point getting a pure sine wave inverter for them.

If I want to charge my electric toothbrush I could buy a 150w PSW inverter.

Lastly am I right in thinking that running the TV off 12v would drain the same power from the leisure batteries as connecting an inverter and plugging the TV in to that? :whatthe:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
So can anyone tell me if I have worked this out correctly:

I can buy a 1500w modified sine wave inverter and it will cope fine with my hairdryer.

I need to wire the inverter as close to the leisure batteries as possible.

As my TV runs on 12v and my IPAD and IPhone both charge using a 12v adaptor there is no point getting a pure sine wave inverter for them.

If I want to charge my electric toothbrush I could buy a 150w PSW inverter.

Lastly am I right in thinking that running the TV off 12v would drain the same power from the leisure batteries as connecting an inverter and plugging the TV in to that? :whatthe:

Put like that then yes it will work.
On you last question, power is power be it at 12v or 230v but you use power to convert 12v to 230 so if you have 12v equipment then I would you it.
Steve

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Hi,

basically Yes to most of your answers.

If you have a 12V TV then run it straight from your 12V supply; running through the inverter will not be as efficient due to power loss.

As daft as it may sound the inverter was bought purely for the hairdryer
"I can't do without the hairdryer" says she who must be obeyed. Carole does not use the dryer on full power and she gets 40 mins drying time easy (2 x 100amp/hr batteries)

Expensive option but I think long term (aires, CL's etc) it will pay for itself in no time.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi,

basically Yes to most of your answers.

If you have a 12V TV then run it straight from your 12V supply; running through the inverter will not be as efficient due to power loss.

As daft as it may sound the inverter was bought purely for the hairdryer
"I can't do without the hairdryer" says she who must be obeyed. Carole does not use the dryer on full power and she gets 40 mins drying time easy (2 x 100amp/hr batteries)

Expensive option but I think long term (aires, CL's etc) it will pay for itself in no time.

Women and hairdryers is the number one reason for inverter purchase in the UK I reckon!::bigsmile:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Women and hairdryers is the number one reason for inverter purchase in the UK I reckon!::bigsmile:

Or generators :winky:

I bought a generator purely so that SWMBO could dry her hair.
The only other time it has really been needed in anger was to charge my brother-in-laws battery on his caravan, 'cos he was to tight to buy a new one. ::bigsmile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Having measured such things for my own dubious purposes. A 1200w travel hair dryer actually only uses 250w or less on low power.
It will work on a £30 500w inverter cos I've done it. Just don't put it on full power !

Best to buy a bigger inverter though. We use a hairdryer (1200w) and a toaster (650w) on a daily basis while away and our 400w solar panels will have the batteries fully charged by lunchtime if reasonably bright. Abroad when the sun shines we use an electric kettle as well.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back