Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
While the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask, this one I think is heading that way.

When the inverter is connected to the battery, but nothing is plugged into the 240v sockets, is the inverter draining the battery to any large extent?

thanks

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
My Victron does(assuming it's switched on) and there are software settings to reduce draw at idle. Look up the manual on yours it should say.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It shouldn't to "any extent". There will be a small power loss, but unless you can feel the inverter actually getting warm, which would be worrying, it shouldn't be something to worry about when you are actually using the vehicle. The drain should be half an amp at most and hopefully a lot less but if the vehicle was just standing, say in storage and you had no solar half an amp could flatten the batteries in say a couple of weeks, depending on battery capacity and the actual no load current.
As suggested, it should be specified in any bumpf you have though the only way to be sure would be to measure it. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
My 1500w pure sine inverter uses around 1/2 to 3/4 amps per hr if it's left on, ours is below the lounge seat ,but I have a remote on/off switch installed with lights on it to remind me to turn it off , its mostly just used for the microwave.

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Thanks for all the replies and information, ours is fitted under the passenger seat and as a matter of course I only switch it on when needed, mainly for the hairdryer.

I just needed to check that I wasn't keeping it off needlessly

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thanks for all the replies and information, ours is fitted under the passenger seat and as a matter of course I only switch it on when needed, mainly for the hairdryer.

I just needed to check that I wasn't keeping it off needlessly

That would explain the quafered look then:D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When we had an Exsis I fitted mine under the passenger seat like you and had an isolator switch next to it. The remote switched ones still draw current when switched off unless you switch them fully off via an isolator.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Of course your solar panels should easily keep up with off load Stand by

A well sited remote ON/OFF switch makes all the difference

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
As Eddie states above the best thing to do is when not in use switch it off, therefore no draw from the batteries.

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
While an on off switch would be easier, and the solar panels do keep it topped up, it is easy to access the main switch on the inverter. Perhaps Vanbitz could take a look when I'm getting the alarm fitted in a couple of weeks? @eddievanbitz

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back