Inverter Isolater switch

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Red Dragon, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Funster

I have a 500watt inverter which I would like to connect direct to my battery bank.
    BUT how do I go about isolating it,and what isolated switch would I need.:Doh:
    Any help please.

And use only simple terms,I have my blonde,blue eyed,thickos head on.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

it wont need an isolator....just use the on/off switch.
    as long as the switch is off it uses no power.

If you cant access the switch when installed you could use a 100amp relay in the battery live wire with an illuminated rocker switch in a convenient position.
    connect the battery live to the one of large terminals on the relay then from the second large terminal to the inverter positive and wire a switch to the small spade terminals.
    Wire switch between battery pos and one terminal on the relay then from the the other relay terminal to earth

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-4-PIN-100-AMP-RELAY-HEAVY-DUTY-SPLIT-CHARGE-CHARGING-12-VOLT-BOAT-KIT-CAR-/221192058305?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item338012f5c1

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  3. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Steve,

Have a read here for JeanLuc's excellent article on fitting a small inverter. Hope this helps.

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

a pictures worth a thousand words......:thumb:

The diagram of what i wrote

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I have an inverter permanently wired to the battery. Generally, I use the on / off switch, but when I am not going to use it for a while, I will isolate the pos wire with one of these..

[​IMG]

Halford sell them but they are available in other places.

Allan

• Like Like x 2
  6. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Funster

Inverter Isolation

Hi
    Many thanks to Pappajohn and Taran Las, thats great just what I was looking for:thumb:

7. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

Hi Red Dragon, I have looked at the wiring layout in the above thread and although that system will work fine, IMO it seems a bit over the top. I don't wish to offend anyone but why not keep a simple job just that..simple.
    I too have fitted a 1500w pure sine inverter, I have incorporated a 80A maxi fuse in the supply to the inverter, close to the battery as recommended, I have also incorporated a Battery Isolator Switch ( http://bit.ly/1f7lUXV ), between the fuse and the inverter. I have fitted this so as to be able to isolate the inverter if needed and is readily accessible, being mounted to the base unit of the lounge seating area. I also fitted a CBE single gang 240v socket directly below the Isolator. The socket is supplied by the inverter via a standard 13a plug with a short flex wired directly in to the rear of the CBE socket.
    This way, the inverter is turned On/Off using the Battery Isolator switch, there is no leaving it turned on by mistake as the large red key used is clearly visible. When isolated, the key is removed and no chance of accidental activation and subsequent risk of running down battery.
    At the end of the day, if the job can be done with the least number of components to go wrong, then, why not keep it simple, and less wire runs.
    Only my view, if any pics are required I'll gladly snap and post.
    :Blush:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  9. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Sorry wickload, I have to laugh (not at you I hasten to add)

You say, "why make a job harder than it needs to be" then go on to explain something that complicated for the average Jo like my self and I'm sure he won't mind me saying red dragon.

Steve, I have a Stirling with a remote switch. Simple to fit job done :Smile:

I have the same one as in the eBay link above, works great.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

If you do go the Sterling route Steve BEWARE the newer stock only has a 6 metre cable so check with the vendors if you might need 10 metres like they used to be. I used almost 10 myself

11. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Funster

Isolation

Ha Ha i think I need some of the above:Doh:
    Cheers Guys if nothing else I have all I need to install an inverter. THANKS

Paul thanks for rescuing me in my "Dumb Blonde Moment"
    I like Electricity, but the trickery(tricity) is beyond my grey cells:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

12. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

Hi haganap, I would actually agree with you, as papajon said, a picture paints a thousand words. I was almost there trying to explain the picture of the set up I had in my mind. It doesn't always work out the way you intend though hey?:Blush:

• Like Like x 1