Inverter info for Carthago Chic C Line (1 Viewer)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I am looking for some info from any Chic C Line owners who have installed an inverter to the motorhome.

I am looking to install a 2000w inverter. On my last motorhome this was simple as I could position the unit immediately above the batteries as my understanding was that the inverter should be as close as possible to them.

The battery box on the new van is very compact with the two batteries installed.

Has anybody installed an inverter and if so where have you positioned it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi
We've got a Victron 2kw inverter in our Chic C - line
You're right about siting the inverter close to the batteries, however there is another consideration too and that's battery capacity. A 2kw inverter is going to pull lots of power and a couple of 80 watt batteries are not going to last long.

We overcame both problems by moving the existing batteries to the rear garage. We then added two more identical batteries, doubling our capacity. @eddievanbitz fitted the inverter directly above them.
The inverter is 'smart' and monitors the 240 volt circuit, ensuring a constant supply in cases where EHU is suddenly disconnected or overloaded.

We also had 2 x 100w solar panels installed.

The Victron inverter is a decent battery charger too, leaving the original charger redundant.

The original battery locker is where we store our Cadac grill, which is useful being next to the external gas point.

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Our inverter was also fitted by @eddievanbitz but we left the two batteries where they are and had an 1800w Waeco fitted inside the front locker, under the side seat.
That meant a short cable run with just the hab door between the two lockers. There is a remote switch inside the van and automatic cut off if I plug in the mains forgetting to switch the inverter off.
We also have 2x100 solar panels fitted.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Hi
We've got a Victron 2kw inverter in our Chic C - line
You're right about siting the inverter close to the batteries, however there is another consideration too and that's battery capacity. A 2kw inverter is going to pull lots of power and a couple of 80 watt batteries are not going to last long.

We overcame both problems by moving the existing batteries to the rear garage. We then added two more identical batteries, doubling our capacity. @eddievanbitz fitted the inverter directly above them.
The inverter is 'smart' and monitors the 240 volt circuit, ensuring a constant supply in cases where EHU is suddenly disconnected or overloaded.

We also had 2 x 100w solar panels installed.

The Victron inverter is a decent battery charger too, leaving the original charger redundant.

The original battery locker is where we store our Cadac grill, which is useful being next to the external gas point.

Hope this helps

Many thanks, most helpful. Will need to have a look at my weight for the garage with all the gear I carry if I go down the line you have gone. Four batteries will take up a chunk of the garage payload.

Looks like I will need a new post re the batteries. My last van had two 110 AH, I understood that the 80AH Gel attached to the Chic were equal to them ?, what do I know.

Again holding off on solar panels. We had a year on the road last year and wild camped a great deal. In the main we went off grid for about 6 days at a time before needing water/waste/power and the like so took the opportunity of one or two nights at an aire/motorhome park to get sorted, so we are still mulling over the need for solar.

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Our inverter was also fitted by @eddievanbitz but we left the two batteries where they are and had an 1800w Waeco fitted inside the front locker, under the side seat.
That meant a short cable run with just the hab door between the two lockers. There is a remote switch inside the van and automatic cut off if I plug in the mains forgetting to switch the inverter off.
We also have 2x100 solar panels fitted.

Richard.
Many thanks for the heads up. Shall have a look at this location

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
With our solar panels I haven't used mains hook up for months.
Even with a few hours TV in the evening the batteries are back to fully charged very quickly..............just as long as the sun shines a bit. :)

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
To recycle an old tread again...

Battery leads go from the battery compartment to the boot in order to feed the distribution panel. They connect to the panel via 8mm (or 10mm) terminals.

Is there any reason why I can't connect a small 300 watt inverter via these terminals, mount the inverter in the boot and run a mains extension lead into the van?

I don't want it to feed all of the sockets in the van, just to act as a stand alone inverter to charge a laptop, iPad, iPhones, Dyson cleaner, Karcher window vac etc (not all at the same time of course). Each one only draws a few watts.

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back