Inverter Genorators

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by New Dawn, Nov 14, 2014.

1. New Dawn

New Dawn Funster

I wonder if anyone can advise us. We have just got a tag axle motorhome & are thinking of using the above. The size we are looking at is 3.5Kv as this would give enough power for everything. The thing is, SWMBO wants to have it permantley fixed in the garage of the motorhome. Obviously venting the exhaust would be a problem. I was wondering if other motorhomers used genorators & where they site them. Do you have them permantley fixed ?? Our dealer said he could put it in the garage but the door would have to be left open when it was in operation. Thus leaving it open to the opportune theif. We would like to be self sufficient in any situation. (Ie wild camping). I would appreciate all info & suggestions. Cheers.

2. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Gennys not always popular with other campers, mainly due to noise.
    Some meets ban them totally, and some campsites limit their usage.
    Can understand for medical reasons, but do you really need one?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

We have a 2.8 kva generator which was factory fitted in the chassis with the controls inside the van so we can even use it when driving very handy bit of kit but I hate to think how much it cost.

Having said that we have fitted 3 x 115 traction batteries and a 2000 watt inverter, also have two solar panels on the roof which again were on when we purchased. We now find that we virtually never use the generator anymore, we've just returned from 2 weeks away Wales France and Spain all wild camping or Aires with no ehu and never got near needing to start the generator. There are much better options than generators I'd do plenty of research before forking out on a generator especially as its getting more and more difficult to use them.

• Like Like x 4
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

3.5kw is definately overkill for an average motorhome.

The most common are either 1 or 2kw.....most of the time they only run the fridge and your charger, almost everything else is gas or 12v.

Its a compromise for 230v appliances.....1700w kettle instead of a 3000w fast boil.
    lower wattage panel heaters etc in winter....you wont need a 3kw heater in what amounts, size wise, to a garden shed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. New Dawn

New Dawn Funster

Thanks for your replies. SWMBO is thinking of the air-con + she is thinking of a microwave also. (driving me nuts). Could look at another solar panel and inverter. But where do you draw the line.

6. JimboT

JimboT Funster

• Like Like x 1
  7. ukbill

ukbill Funster

get a solar panel and a inverter i had a genny and then i changed to solar and inverter much better

• Like Like x 2
  8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Aircon and a genny.

I hope you never park near me.

• Like Like x 6
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Forget the genny, despite what anyone says, they are smelly and noisy. It's also another fuel you need to carry ..
    On load, even a 1kw whisper quiet Honda is noisy and if running in the garage you won't be able to hear each other talk.. and if the exhaust pipe is not extended outside, the fumes will get in every nook and cranny.. it will also be dangerous if the CO gets into the hab area..

For 'wilding' my choice would be a Sterling b2b charger , decent size battery bank of at least 240ah, solar panel and if required an inverter..

Buy the b2b first and extra battery and see how you get on, then solar if you need it..

I had a 2kw Honda and over a period of several years only ran it a couple of times.. learn to live without one.. buy a 3.5kw and I would gamble that you will live to regret it.

• Like Like x 4
  10. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Hi New Dawn. :) Nice MH by the way. (y)

Like Forestboy, (Rory), we have a 2.5Kva generator fixed to the chassis.

With 225 amps of traction battery power, 2 x 85 watt solar panels, and 1 x Sterling B2B 50A charger, the genny is seldom used. The 300 watt and 1500 watt inverters see to any mains equipment we need to use (very occasionally) along with 12v chargers for phones, laptop, etc.

I should add that we are also very rarely on EHU, unless on a site where it is included in the price of the pitch.

Good luck with your search for power. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

• Like Like x 2
  11. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

going away in the van for us is a differnt experience to being at home part of that diffence is having to consider our power usage not that weve ever run out in this van which is self sufficent at least 4 days which is the longest weve gone without hook up we find the need to empty fluids is what drives us on to a site where we top up energy at the same time as its usually in the price

• Like Like x 3
  12. JJ

JJ Funster

Trying to live the same lifestyle in a motorhome as you do in a house creates many, many problems.

I have lived fulltime in my van for nearly 30 years and have learned to survive peacefully and happily without microwave ovens, hairdryers, electric kettles, airconditioners, big screen televisions, vacuum cleaners etc.

Were I to find that I couldn't be content without these things I would suspect that I wasn't suited to motorhoming!

Then I would have to get an RV. :rofl:

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 7
  13. marrod23

marrod23 Funster

Solar panels weren't much cop for the space station that's just landed

14. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

RV, yes, 4kv on board Onan generator and two Air Con units. (y) :p

So, I can be noisy and cold, but not cramped, all at the same time. :rofl:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Apart from all the reasons given about, do think about the smell of the generator if you have your bed over the garage. We just put our generator in the garage without even starting it up and I could smell it when in bed, dread to think what it would have smelt live when it was running. Your garage is not an outside locker, or it isn't in our van anyway.
    After just a week of it being in the garage we have decided we will manage without and removed it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

The lesson there (for motorhomers) is - don't park in the shadow of a large cliff if you use solar panels . :)

• Like Like x 4
  17. New Dawn

New Dawn Funster

Hi all. Thanks for your advice and suggestions. Think we will look at other options. Armytwowheels made a good point of fumes etc. JJ
    Your point of living in the van for 30 yrs, obviously "that's experienced advice". Scotjimland. Looking at that option also. Everyone has valid points that need considering. So now going to do more research. So glad we joined MHFun.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

JJs opinion on most things is well worth listening to, but not on the subject of hairdriers. :)

• Like Like x 4
  19. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Or pies!:sick:

20. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Just in case you need any more convincing, a 3.5 KVa generator is going to set you back as much as a small second hand car. It will weigh the best part of 100 kg and I guarantee you will not really need it. It is not something you can sit in a motorhome garage and run; it needs to be properly installed in a dedicated locker - assuming you have room. Here is an example of a suitable product at a cool £8,500 (before fitting costs).
    http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/pr...nerators/domtec40/section:additional#features

Even a 'portable' Honda 3KVa inverter generator will set you back almost £3000 and weighs 61 kg without fuel - more than I could lift out of the garage.

We have a Honda EU10i which we use very occasionally. I bought it when we were going away one winter for a week and there was no hookup at the site. Since then we have used it a few times for the motorhome but I use it much more frequently to power a strimmer in the garden!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 1