Inverter Electrickery (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I think i already know the answer before asking the question as i have been looking through past posts. Just want confirmation from the experts on here.

I have 2 inverters, 1 has a 2 pin plug on the side which has been wired to a socket, the other has a 3 pin socket on the side.

I was looking at getting a couple of the tube heaters for use throughtout the cold weather (probably most of the year). Running them from the inverters.

My question is:- I know that the batteries will only last for so long when the inverters are in use without EHU, but as i am on EHU, whist in the driveway, and there are 2 solar panels then i should be ok for power to keep the batteries topped up whilst the heaters are on even if they are on for 24 hrs a day.

I think i am ok but just want it to confirmed, are there problems i am not seeing.:thumb::thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Perhaps I'm missing the point here but surely if you are on EHU then you would power the heaters from 240 rather than 12v and inverter..........No?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes there are probs your not seeing I think you will bugger your batteries to be honest
to answer fully we will need
size of batteries available
inverter sizes
heater sizes
charger output
solarsizes
But I have to ask, if your on hook up why not power from the mains
Are you after free power?? Join the club it dont exsist
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Thanks for the replies.

I only have 1 socket which i can plug into for 240v, so it would appear to be better to put in a double plug extension from this to run the heaters.

So the inverters are ok for low power for short periods i.e. Laptops for a couple of hours at a time.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Unless the heaters are VERY low power and you have a fair old battery capacity, I would say maybe 30 minutes before the batteries are trashed !!

And if the heaters are that low, you can perfectly safely use a double socket to run them..

Hell, I use a 4 way on one of my sockets to run the bike battery chargers, a small heater and the lappy charger

As long as the load does not exceed, well lets say, to be on the safe side, 50% of the capacity of the socket ( 13 amps ) that would be a far better and safer option

Inverters are generally quite safe and under rated to err on the side of caution by the makers, but they have still been known to over heat dramatically and blow themselves to bits !

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I accidently ran a fan heater from my inverter. It changes over automatically and I disconnected the EHU forgetting I still had a fan heater on. It ran it OK but luckily I discovered it after 5mins or so, because it would not have run it for long before overdischarging my batteries.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but as i am on EHU, whist in the driveway, and there are 2 solar panels then i should be ok for power to keep the batteries topped up whilst the heaters are on even if they are on for 24 hrs a day.

Not so I'm afraid.

Chargers are in the region of 20A maybe bigger but nothing compared to the current drawn by a heater.

500W heater at 12V is 50A or more via inverter.

And remember what came up here a while ago, if your heater catches fire you are not insured, I checked and Safeguard confirmed this. Make sure it's a very safe heater.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
can I put my two penny worth in.

I have two 100 watt tube heaters on all the time this time of the year and an Dehumidifier.

I have a stirling 1500 watt pure sin wave combi inverter charger (came from VanBitz)

The system allows the 230v power to come in to the RV via the transformer .. The 230 v handles the draw with no problems.. intact there is a pull from the inverter as well to add to it.

I have 2 x 100 amp batteries .... I also use a fantastic bit of kit called a NASA BM1 .. that tells me all the time the state of play with the batteries.. how many volts ..amps and how long the batteries will last using the current draw.... best bit of kit every purchased.

The NASA unit shows as soon as there is any demand it is sorted by the stirling inverter.

The RV is sitting out side the house now with everything above running and it is show full power in the batteries.

Bob:Blush:

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Just checked what i have, 3 x 110amp leisure batteries, (2 of which are brand new) 1 x 650w inverter and 1 x 350w inverter.
Charger is under drivers seat cannot see clearly but it is new and replaced 1 which says 230v-50hz, 200w - 60ah. (presume like for like)
Cannot see output of solar panels but physically they are both approx 3 foot x 15 inches.
Just ordered 2 x 60w tube heaters and an electronic temperature controller, will run these off the mains.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back