Inverter Electrickery

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by PaulyP, Oct 15, 2012.

1. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

I think i already know the answer before asking the question as i have been looking through past posts. Just want confirmation from the experts on here.

I have 2 inverters, 1 has a 2 pin plug on the side which has been wired to a socket, the other has a 3 pin socket on the side.

I was looking at getting a couple of the tube heaters for use throughtout the cold weather (probably most of the year). Running them from the inverters.

My question is:- I know that the batteries will only last for so long when the inverters are in use without EHU, but as i am on EHU, whist in the driveway, and there are 2 solar panels then i should be ok for power to keep the batteries topped up whilst the heaters are on even if they are on for 24 hrs a day.

I think i am ok but just want it to confirmed, are there problems i am not seeing.:thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Perhaps I'm missing the point here but surely if you are on EHU then you would power the heaters from 240 rather than 12v and inverter..........No?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Yes there are probs your not seeing I think you will bugger your batteries to be honest
    to answer fully we will need
    size of batteries available
    inverter sizes
    heater sizes
    charger output
    solarsizes
    But I have to ask, if your on hook up why not power from the mains
    Are you after free power?? Join the club it dont exsist
    Geo

• Like Like x 2
  4. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

Thanks for the replies.

I only have 1 socket which i can plug into for 240v, so it would appear to be better to put in a double plug extension from this to run the heaters.

So the inverters are ok for low power for short periods i.e. Laptops for a couple of hours at a time.

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Unless the heaters are VERY low power and you have a fair old battery capacity, I would say maybe 30 minutes before the batteries are trashed !!

And if the heaters are that low, you can perfectly safely use a double socket to run them..

Hell, I use a 4 way on one of my sockets to run the bike battery chargers, a small heater and the lappy charger

As long as the load does not exceed, well lets say, to be on the safe side, 50% of the capacity of the socket ( 13 amps ) that would be a far better and safer option

Inverters are generally quite safe and under rated to err on the side of caution by the makers, but they have still been known to over heat dramatically and blow themselves to bits !

• Like Like x 2
  6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I accidently ran a fan heater from my inverter. It changes over automatically and I disconnected the EHU forgetting I still had a fan heater on. It ran it OK but luckily I discovered it after 5mins or so, because it would not have run it for long before overdischarging my batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Not so I'm afraid.

Chargers are in the region of 20A maybe bigger but nothing compared to the current drawn by a heater.

500W heater at 12V is 50A or more via inverter.

And remember what came up here a while ago, if your heater catches fire you are not insured, I checked and Safeguard confirmed this. Make sure it's a very safe heater.

• Like Like x 1
  8. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

can I put my two penny worth in.

I have two 100 watt tube heaters on all the time this time of the year and an Dehumidifier.

I have a stirling 1500 watt pure sin wave combi inverter charger (came from VanBitz)

The system allows the 230v power to come in to the RV via the transformer .. The 230 v handles the draw with no problems.. intact there is a pull from the inverter as well to add to it.

I have 2 x 100 amp batteries .... I also use a fantastic bit of kit called a NASA BM1 .. that tells me all the time the state of play with the batteries.. how many volts ..amps and how long the batteries will last using the current draw.... best bit of kit every purchased.

The NASA unit shows as soon as there is any demand it is sorted by the stirling inverter.

The RV is sitting out side the house now with everything above running and it is show full power in the batteries.

Bob:Blush:

• Like Like x 1
  9. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

Just checked what i have, 3 x 110amp leisure batteries, (2 of which are brand new) 1 x 650w inverter and 1 x 350w inverter.
    Charger is under drivers seat cannot see clearly but it is new and replaced 1 which says 230v-50hz, 200w - 60ah. (presume like for like)
    Cannot see output of solar panels but physically they are both approx 3 foot x 15 inches.
    Just ordered 2 x 60w tube heaters and an electronic temperature controller, will run these off the mains.