inverter draw (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I understand that if i have a 1500w inverter it will draw at full tilt around 125amps 1500/12 = 125, i think.

So does that mean if i ran it for an hour(which i am not going to do) it would draw 125 amps, but more importantly if i run it for 10 mins it will use 125/60*10 = 21 amps rounded up ?

I have a am sealed 150amp battery that i want to use the inverter with hence the question.

Changing the battery for something more powerful would involve moving them to back of van which i don't really want to do. Hence the question

Karl

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
When you are talking those kinds of amps you have to apply a whole new set of rules. You would logically think that 125A and a 150Ah battery you get half an hour to 50% discharge. Not so. That 150Ah is based on 10 hour rate or 15A. Up it to 150 and you down-rate your battery by an enormous ammount, maybe 3 or 4 times so you actually only get 10 mins.

Basically the chemicals can't flow fast enough to keep the current running.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Nothing wrong with your workings subject to Brian's comments BUT as you say you are not going to hammer it for too long, a decent 150ah battery should run a 1500 watt inverter for a short burst, of course you might not be using the full capacity of the inverter so I will ask the question what do you actually want to run and for how long AND do you have the charging regime to put it all back in again, yes your 10 minute example draws 21ah but even a decent solar set up of say 400 watts would need a fair few hours to put all that back if it wasn't a very sunny day, or alternatively of course in bright sun a few panels could be pumping out over 20 amps so you need to be able to gauge your use and replacement capacity.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Nothing wrong with your workings subject to Brian's comments BUT as you say you are not going to hammer it for too long, a decent 150ah battery should run a 1500 watt inverter for a short burst, of course you might not be using the full capacity of the inverter so I will ask the question what do you actually want to run and for how long AND do you have the charging regime to put it all back in again, yes your 10 minute example draws 21ah but even a decent solar set up of say 400 watts would need a fair few hours to put all that back if it wasn't a very sunny day, or alternatively of course in bright sun a few panels could be pumping out over 20 amps so you need to be able to gauge your use and replacement capacity.

Martin

So its to run the most important portable appliance in the van "The Hairdryer":rolleyes:, how long around 10mins at about 1200watts, charging is the next issue to tackle:LOL:.

Karl

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So its to run the most important portable appliance in the van "The Hairdryer":rolleyes:, how long around 10mins at about 1200watts, charging is the next issue to tackle:LOL:.

Karl
Well you will certainly find out how good your batteries are:LOL: Mrs funflair can thankfully dry her hair in less than 10 minutes so let's hope your Mrs can, watching the battery voltage as the inverter is running can be both educational and frightening at the same time, of course if it all gets too much for them the voltage will really drop and the inverter could fault on low volts (if it has that feature), our bank of 4 110ah C20 Gel batteries will hold around 12.5 volts with a 4 or 5 minute workout on the microwave and coffee machine, when we only had 2 batteries they would drop to 12volts while running, straight back up to 12.9 when the inverter is off though, I did try a pair of 110ah elecsols a few years ago and they just dumped straight down to about 10.5 or 11 volts with a load on and the inverter switched off, so I put the old Gel's back on and they are still there 5 years later with a new pair just to lend a hand.

Charging is of course the ultimate limit to what you can take out as if you can't put it back in you can't take it out again, over the last couple of weeks we have been to Chester and then Peterborough and have managed perfectly OK with hair drying and coffee machine/microwave even though the sun has been intermittent, we have 320 watts.

Martin

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
HAIRDRYERS.. !!! Dont get me started !!! :mad:

On a serious note.. All I have is a 600w inverter ( 1000w on total max) wife has a travel hairdryer about 1200w BUT she uses it on the low setting.. That way no great demand for heat and less power draw..
Tell the lady that heat is bad for her delicate curls (y);)

As above, if you take a big chunk of power out the battery you need to replace it somehow..

OP
OP
C
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
At the mo,I can either have new batteries & inverter or solar & inverter using existing 150 amp battery (age unknown).

Not sure which is best way,ultimately both new batteries & solar will happen eventually.

Does anyone use a 1500watt inverter with a 150 ish battery,or is a larger battery bank used.

Not sure age of orginal Battery either.

It's an agm battery too does that make difference?

Karl

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I have 150W solar, 1800W inverter and 2 x 95 Ahr AGM batts. I did have snags last year with the batts not lasting very long, but the batts were mismatched and I didn't know how old one was. Since 2 new ones last Summer, no worries, even with Jane using 1300W hair dryer on full, straightners and 1200W Tassimo Coffee machine daily. We use these UK Winter as well. If the EHU is included in the Aire or Campsite price, I will always use it, but not pay extra though as I have enough power for a few days.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Best, most cost-efficient solution is...

.... a skinhead!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back