Inventory Advice

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by mwark, Jul 1, 2015.

1. mwark

mwark Read Only Funster

Hello,

So, the big euro-trip is getting closer. The van has been purchased, the insurance sorted. Drove it back home in London peak hour traffic (it's a LHD) so that was an experience. We were thrilled and so excited for the trip now.

I'm a chronic micro optimiser. It's a flaw. But hey ho. So, I've been reading and reading on what we need to take. Seen all the threads on this forum. We've purchased a lot of the stuff but have a few items left. Of these, can anyone recommend (amazon or other links) :

Collapsable bucket
    Watering can
    Clothes line
    Bungee cords
    Foldable cool box (for day trips on our bikes)
    Kettle (electric or stove top?)
    Dust pan - We just bought the regular small handheld dustpan and brush, is this fine (bending down all the time)?
    Quick drying towels (how many of these are useful?)

We haven't bought crockery and cutlery yet. Will probably just take some of it from home, but anything I should particularly look out for here? How do I secure this in the cupboards and how to stop it rattling?

I bought the Cadac Safari Chef BBQ (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cadac-Safari-Chef-LP-Barbecue/dp/B000JUJMW8/) - What accessories do I need to connect this up to our external gas point? Do I need a second regulator? Is it better to just buy the small separate gas bottles with regulator for convenience sake?

Thanks!

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

kettle to heat up on the gas if you wild and leccy if you intend being on sites with EHU
    you can never have too many towels or tea towels to use as anti rattle mats.
    Most people forget kitchen roll a must for cleaning your plates etc., prior to washing up thus keeping the stench out of the grey tank.
    We also use a lot of scatter cushions to prevent things leaping out of the cupboards after a run.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Why a collapsible bucket? Mines full of cleaning gear and different tap connections. You will only find out what you really need after not having it. If you take absolutely everything you THINK you need you will probably be overloaded :LOL:.
    Trial and error methinks, I am now discarding things I thought I needed but never have and the weight saving and space creating it's quite surprising.:whistle:

• Like Like x 3
  4. mwark

mwark Read Only Funster

Ah, well that's just the sort of opinion I was looking for. We leave for four months, and after that, it is back to regular lives and back to work. This is a one off trip for us for the moment. So I was trying to make sure I had what I needed before we set off. But I'm sure we'll learn on the road and pick up stuff as we go.

5. wingman

wingman Funster

Hi @mwark .

Get bungee cords at Pound Shop
    Clothes line (don't forget pegs) Pound Shop
    Roll (or two) of non-slip matting (to deaden rattles/stop stuff sliding) Pound Shop again and whilst there, have alook at their camping section to see if there's anything else that takes your fancy. The do things like packaway ponchos for rainy days.

Collapsible bucket? Don't be tempted to get the cheaper 5 litre ones. They are only the size of a flower pot! Get the 10 litre bucket. I got mine from Amazon, though there are other places. Just be aware that some suppliers look cheaper, but sting you on the P&P.

Cadac? Yes, you will def need another regulator ( may need hose and jubilee clip too???) If your van has two cylinders, simply use the spare one for the Cadac.

Don't forget some tap adaptors for you fresh water hose if you have one?

There's more, but I will leave you for a mo'.

James

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

Some suggestions:
    a) collapsible hose for filling fresh water tank plus hoselock tap connector
    b) disinfectant wipes (for cleaning the tap before you connect your hose)
    c) Loo fluid
    d) If you take an electric kettle make sure it's a low wattage one otherwise you'll possibly trip the site electrics
    e) maps and satnav
    f) loads of tea towels to use to silence any rattles!

Get out there and try out your MH for a few days and keep a list of everything you find that you need!

• Like Like x 1
  7. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Not if you're connecting to an external gas point on the van you won't.

Just hose, jubilee clips and a connector for whatever external point you have.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mwark

mwark Read Only Funster

Thanks wingman! I'll visit poundshop tomorrow.

9. houdini

houdini Funster

We've found a 10 litre container with tap, plus a plastic funnel with a short screw in hose, very useful for topping up the freshwater tank to save moving the MH or getting out the long hoses.

• Like Like x 1
  10. wingman

wingman Funster

Stand corrected Nicknic. I didn't read that he had an external gas point Doh!

• Like Like x 2
  11. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

You will find that you can buy everything you forget on your travels.

• Like Like x 2
  12. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

Corkscrew. Johnny Foreigner has not cottoned on to screw top bottles yet!

13. mwark

mwark Read Only Funster

14. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

passports,tickets ,fuel,food/drink for a couple of days, maps ,and then have fun ,they have shops over there too :)

15. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I am so far the other end of the planning spectrum from you that anything I say will seem like I am taking the mickey...

but check your bed is comfy before you commit to more than a few nights in it

16. Wicketter

Wicketter Funster

Totally agree with all the above, we've bought so much stuff we're taking things out we've never used. The shops over the water will have anything you forget and more! Just remember a jacket and shoes, things we have had to buy before now........... not mine I may add !;)

17. mwark

mwark Read Only Funster

:)

Points taken, thanks all.

We're going camping for this coming weekend in the van, two nights, so I guess we'll learn a bit on that trip.

18. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Don't worry about it. If you forget something either do without it or buy it wherever you are.

19. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I think you only need to worry about things you won't be able to buy easily on your trip. So things like corkscrews, towels etc need not worry you, any supermarket will be able to supply.

To reduce rattle you can get anti-slip matting. Tesco sell it in little sheets and other outlets will sell it on rolls. Lakeland also sell pan dividers which look like felt flowers. We also use melamine plates, light and less rattle prone. We also use little tumblers instead of proper wine glasses but that may not suit everyone.

What I would advise before you leave is buy easily washed drip-dry clothing from someone like Rohan. Expensive but you won't need much of it. I got through our recent 8 week trip using just two shirts!

And above all sort out how to get on the internet wherever you maybe!

20. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

If you' ve not used microfibre towels before then try before you commit.I bought a set and we hate them and dislike drying ourselves with them.

Sew loops on your towels if they don' t have them as, if you use campsite showers, it is easier to hang them than risk them falling on the floor. I carry a couple of cheap bent metal ( Poundshop) over door hooks in my sponge bag for those showers without enough hooks. We also have a plastic coated extendible folding drying rack that has hooked sides to enable it to be hung out of a van window, or, in our case, over the bike rack. Any camping shop or online of the same has these. Some clothes pegs and a length of clothes line are also handy.

• Like Like x 3