Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Well I feel a bit like one, I don't even own a motorhome though I did look seriously at some in a dealers a few years ago.

I have just returned from a week in the Scottish highlands and Skye and the urge to get one ( if I ever find the money - wow they are expensive ) is coming on strong.

Seems a nice friendly site :)
Regards
Graham

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Graham.
Welcome to the site:thumb::thumb: don't feel like an intruder.

If you can find the cash now is the time to buy,there are some great bargains out there to be had.

Know what you mean about Scotland and Skye is a wonderful place:thumb:

Dave

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the urge to get one ( if I ever find the money - wow they are expensive ) is coming on strong.
Graham

Depends on what you want and what you call expensive.

Retired next door neighbour, one man and his dog, paid £8K for and old Leyland PVC and he's done Scotland twice now with Ireland this summer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Depends on what you want and what you call expensive.

Retired next door neighbour, one man and his dog, paid £8K for and old Leyland PVC and he's done Scotland twice now with Ireland this summer.

Not sure what a 'pvc' would be in this context :Smile: but self conversion of a big van of some sort would seem to be the way to go for me. Not just for the cost saving but because I would want the inside the way 'we want it' rather than the way someone else thinks it should be ( its a sort of 'less is more' thing ) :ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not sure what a 'pvc' would be in this context :Smile: but self conversion of a big van of some sort would seem to be the way to go for me. Not just for the cost saving but because I would want the inside the way 'we want it' rather than the way someone else thinks it should be ( its a sort of 'less is more' thing ) :ROFLMAO:

PVC, just getting you up to speed, Panel Van Convertion.

I forget how many have done this on here, but have a good hunt around and you'll find loads of pictures. If you have the time and the skill it is a grand plan. First you need to look in as many vans as possible so that you have a reasonable chance of getting it right first time. All the fixtures and fittings are available. The big question is, can you do it cheaper than a good second hand MH, or does that not matter ?

Don't do too good a job, forget the solid oak, otherwise you'll end up with somthing too heavy to go on the road. Think LIGHT.

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hi Graham and welcome.:Smile:

We bought our try out Mhome on ebay for £8,500. It's been to France November and France and Italy May as well as round England. This is a friendly site with no snobbery about what you drive or how much you paid.::bigsmile:
Keep us posted about your progree on building the van.:thumb:
Lucille

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi graham , just do it ::bigsmile: you know you want toooooooooooooooooooooo:winky:

Welcome to Fun.Bob and Jane.:thumb:

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Well I feel a bit like one, I don't even own a motorhome though I did look seriously at some in a dealers a few years ago.

I have just returned from a week in the Scottish highlands and Skye and the urge to get one ( if I ever find the money - wow they are expensive ) is coming on strong.

Seems a nice friendly site :)
Regards
Graham
life's not a dry run you have to enjoy it now:whatthe:bite the bullet and get what you can afford even if it means small sacrifices elsewhere, you wont regret it:thumb:and you can go where you want it's all so beautiful. Ive only been mhing for 3yrs still haven't been out of britain but having a ball:Eeek:

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

After my trip ( by car and B&B ) round the highlands and Skye the idea of a motorhome is certainly appealing but perhaps not ( or maybe perhaps ) for the most obvious reasons :Smile:

I am regestered blind ( but can still see the scenery ) so my wife does all the driving.. She wasn't feeling to well for most of the trip and spent half the time worrying if we would be able to find a B&B and the other half trying to find a loo. I shouldn't laugh as she struggled on longer than I would have but :ROFLMAO:

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Welcome

Welcome to the site Graham.

Hope you 'take the plunge' and we see you at one of the get togethers.

We managed to buy our first m/h when we re-mortgaged and used some of our equity.

Never looked back. Having a GREAT time.

The dealer who sold us our second has commented that he knows of no-one else who is out and about more. Just about every weekend sees us on the road. We Christmas and New Year outside a relative's house near Aberdeen (Dont do houses)

Check out Motorhomestopover.co.uk as there are a number of Pubs and Clubs around the country that allow overnighters in their carparks for free.

(It has also made us more pushy and we ask, even if they are not on the register.)

June

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
thanks for that Gypsylady, love your signature line :Smile:

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Signature Line

Thanks Graham

It is from a fridge magnet.

I've adopted it since we started fostering, after our brood left home.

Seemed appropriate.

June

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
whilst camping last few weeks surprised by the amout of hire motorhomes about company called mclouis i think no idea where they are based

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Duetto owner

I think you will find that McLouis is the name of the motorhome manufacturer and not the hire company.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back