Jun 9, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
years
Hello,
I have been a motorhome owner for a few years and tripped over this site yesterday when I was doing some research. Seemed like a fun site so I decided to register.

Presently have a rather "Funky" looking Knaus S-Liner 600 LEG, which I love. I am contemplating exchanging it for something slightly larger, as I have just got a little rescued dog, appropriately called "Rascal" (by the SSPCA).

Need to exchange as the fixed bed is too high for Rascal to jump on and off without injuring himself. Not enough space for a ramp, although open to any other suggestions.

Busy researching A-Class Left hand drives with low fixed beds, and under 7.5M in length.

Looking forward to contributing to discussions and the fun.

Mo and Rascal::bigsmile:riving2:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome to Fun.
Your dog will get used to it and no doubt given the chance will be jumping up there, last year our latest rescue couldnt jump into/onto anything infact he continually fell over (was quite worrying) i used half a disabled wheelchair ramp we have, for him but 12mths on he jumps in the truck and the van and on the bed, and now only very occasionally falls over if he has gone too fast for himself (he is a greyhound)

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Mo, welcome to fun, do join in plenty of banter, and quite often some useful information as well. :welcomefunster:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
You big soppy, aaah - I'd be wanting to buy yours just to keep the dog off the bed ..... :ROFLMAO:

Yes, we both love dogs, but on the bed or indeed on any of the furniture ain't the place for a dog unless he gets invited there as a treat.

Mi casa, it's not the dog's house ....... he/she's always mi perro - and it's best to start as you mean him to carry on if you want him to listen to you ..... LOL

OP
OP
M

Moknaus

Free Member
Jun 9, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
years
sedge
From your reply, I thank you as a brand new member for making me feel so welcome,

Mo

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Welcome from us also

A warm welcome from us also...

Lots of dogs on this site... Join in and be part often pack:Blush:

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
welcome

hi there and welcome to MHF:welcome:
regards brian jo and josh

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the pack Mo, another 2 dogs here, and agree with Sedge. Dogs should have their own bed and not share ours they feel much more secure that way. The hymer 544 with a ushaped lounge could be just what you are looking for. Take a looksee, lots of members on here have one so can answer questions.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Hi and welcome to the site, we know what you mean about Rascal.
We go to great lengths to help Susie get on our bed/sofa, Tez has made steps for her to get to us on the bed and as we have 2 sofa’s in the back of the motorhome we have a plank covered with material so that she doesn’t slip off while travelling back and forth between us when we are relaxing and the steps to get up and off the bed at night.
We had to make sure the steps we bought for outside the motorhome were Susie friendly and that she was able to get in and out of the motorhome with ease,(save us carrying her in and out in the middle of the night for a wee) we do spoil our animals don’t we?
I probably wouldn’t do it if she was a big dog but being a toy yorkie she weighs just 3.5 kilo and is a lapdog.

OP
OP
M

Moknaus

Free Member
Jun 9, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
years
Wildman

Thanks for your suggestion. I will look at the Hymer 544.

Rascal has a long history of human abuse and was diagnosed with separation anxiety. He does not actually sleep in my bed. He just needs to be where he can see me, otherwise he gets very upset. At the moment the only place his bed can be placed where he sees me during the night - is on top of my bed. Hence I need a better layout.

At home he has a bed on the floor and it is not a problem. It is not an option to leave him in an area where he cannot see me. He has the potential to destroy the interior of my motor home, and I have seen him in action. He has previously been returned back to the SSPC because of his separation anxiety.

I have already engaged with professional animal experts on the subject, and will be guided by them as opposed to other opinions and that’s why I am looking for a solution.

Mo

OP
OP
M

Moknaus

Free Member
Jun 9, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
years
Trish-n-Tez

Thanks for your support. Rascal is similar to Suzie. He is 4 kilos in weight, cross Jack Russell and Chihuahua (Jack Chi). Animal experts have told me that he requires careful and sensitive development – not a bulldozer approach.

The physical scars on his body provide evidence that other options have been tried.

I have been advised that to get him back to being a normal happy dog will be a lengthy process and I have taken on this commitment. He is young, although severely scarred (Emotional and physical), so a better motor home lay out is a “must have” for us both.

We spend 90% of our time in the motor home, and it is as important for me that the layout of the motor home is good for both of us. Rascal needs to feel secure and relaxed so that he can develop into a well balanced dog.

I think most people already know the correct etiquette for dogs and cats. I joined this forum to try and get positive and constructive solutions to my challenge.

Maybe I need to start a new thread on the etiquette for animals in a motor home, as there are obviously conflicting views! My initial thread was responding to “welcome”.

Mo and Rascal

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back