Introduction and advice (1 Viewer)

lufcdave7

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Rochdale
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Hi folks, like to introduce my wife Kath and myself, we pick up our first motorhome on Thursday after four years of tugging. Would like to ask all you old hands for some advice, how do you cope with narrow country roads. The area in question, for those of you who may know it, that we are hoping to get to, is the car park below the Tarn at Malham, North Yorkshire. I would never have attempted this with the caravan, does the same restriction apply to motorhomes or is there a technique for getting past vehicles coming in the opposite direction. Do the drivers of these vehicles hiss and moan at you for holding them up or making them reverse out of the way. Please don't say avoid these roads at all cost!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Welcome to the site. I don't know the particular road you refer to but the same applies everywhere. With a motorhome you can see down both sides of the vehicle even on a bend, unlike a caravan. all motorhomes are narrow enough to travel safely down one side of the road, if there is likely to be a passing problem then it would most likely also apply to a large car. There are times when one of you will need to back up or pull into a passing place however years of driving experience should make sure this is accepted as normal driving practice and nothing to get heated about. If you are driving an ARV then you may have problems, but even then you will notice local coach services bombing along the narrowest of roads. I mostly just treat the beast as a car, albeit a slow one.

If things get really tight, just breath in, hee hee

Last edited:

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
Hi Dave and Kath, welcome to the Fun.
Get yersel' up tae the West Coast o' Scottieland fur a week your twa.
Ye'll get loads o' practice driving alang the B roads and soon find oot how tae drive the single track wi' passin' places.
A wee bit commonsense an' ye'll dae fine mon.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back