Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
Our 1994 B534 with rear lounge. Loads of questions that I would appreciate help with please. :)

First impressions are great. BTW, registration is L6 HYM! (But we know her as Hetty The Hymer :) )

Driving home was not terribly different to our old Talbot Talisman - not the quietest engine in the world and acceleration on anything approaching an incline is interesting! However, the engine will go on for ever! Steering is lighter though.

Not very comfortable for my feet, but I am sure I'll get used to it. My left foot wants to rest more to the left but can't. It is odd - almost as if the car was RHD originally but converted to LHD if that make sense (of course it is totally the opposite).

Sue loved all the cubbyhole space on her side. I am going to have a go at constructing something on my side, but will need to relocate the reversing camera first. Just love the acres of space on the dash! Someone has put a couple of fans on there which are great (well, mine was when it eventually kicked into action - a loose connection probably that I need to track down. Associated with the loose connection that causes the radio to be temperamental I suspect)

Seems lots of space. Dislike the table though - big, heavy and will not collapse fully flat. That is one thing that will have to be sorted soon - anybody faced the same challenge? What did other people do?

I need to clean/replace the fly mesh on the big skylight - seems to roll into a cassette that I suspect is "sprung" How difficult to put back?

Bathroom has loads of cubbyhole space. Discovered a dinky fold-out clothes airer in there which will be great for "smalls"

This one has an oven installed which means no drawer at all - pain for the cutlery but no biggie.

We have a satellite dish installed in the roof with an electronic satellite finder. 12v TV on an arm and little SKY box. My impression is that the SKY box is old hat now and I would be better off with an aerial and freeview box. Any thoughts? Should I replace the dish or maybe find a way of attaching an aerial to it?

Largish solar panel on roof (1.5m x 500cm?) How do I determine capacity? There is an 1000W invertor in the cab space - what is that good for? The seller says she used it at Glastonbury (no EHU) over 5 days with 4 adults and did not have any power issues. I'm going to add a strip of 240v sockets with built-in USB to save having to take adaptors everywhere. There is an adaptor fitted in the cupboard with 2 USB and 3 cigar lighter sockets for those 12V moments.

Discoveries in the storage/lockers include 2 very long hookup cables, external silver screens, a pretty big windbreak and a safe (that may go though as it means I cannot get the chairs in, Thoughts?)

Wheels appear to be original Fiat alloys - quite nice ones actually!

As previously stated, the step is totally missing. Will get it on a ramp soon to take a look - if the fitting holes are there and undamaged, what would people recommend? Sue is a shortarse (lol!) with a dodgy knee, so it may need to be two steps as the entrance is pretty high. I am tempted got go for a manual step - less to go wrong! May need to have a handle installed on the outside to help her getting in and out.

Whilst it is on the ramp, need to get the stabilisers greased as not sure they have been used for a long time! Do other people use them?

Front grille is quite a quite a bit delaminated, so that is on my list to get sorted. Anybody had to do theirs?

Awning seems huge - Omnistar 4000 - and in good condition. Going to maybe look at those LillyPad windblockers. Anybody have any experience of them? Any other thoughts? We do like the idea of an enclosed awning sometimes

Water tank is under a seat - it's plastic and looks huge! Did I hear these have a built-in heater to prevent freezing? Where is the grey tank and the outlet?

Gas is Propane (full bottle) and of course, the spare full bottle I have here is Butane! Going to have to move one way or another - any thoughts on which it should be? I'd like to install an external BBQ point - anybody?

Bathroom has loads of cubbyhole space. Discovered a dinky fold-out clothes airer in there which will be great for "smalls"

This one has an oven installed (unusual in Hymers I believe) which means no drawer at all - pain for the cutlery but no biggie.

That's it for now - I am sure there will be more!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Sounds as if you are in for an interesting few weeks making discoveries , enjoy.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
The wind blockers are great in fine and light breezy conditions, but not storm proof, as a full privacy room ....so it depends what you intend to due. Short trips, the w/bkr's are quick to assemble. For an extra room (long stay) the p/room option.

We had the 4m awning and p/room with our Hymer, which doubled the living space, great on a long stay. We also had a Fiamma magic rafter which stabilised the room. Still got it some were, as we only use the w/bkr's with our panel van conversion.

I hope this helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gollom

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
Magic rafter and p/room? If what you have suits we may be able to strike a deal?

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Sounds like you have your hands full tinkering for the next few weeks .Great ain't it :)

marcus153

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630 Mercedes
Exp
I have a Hymer with the U shape lounge - Your right the table is big and heavy (which is great build quality) but just gets in the way! might be a two person job to get out...

OP
OP
Gollom

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
Swan neck table may be the way forward - but seem to be rarer than an honest politician!

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
Swan neck table may be the way forward - but seem to be rarer than an honest politician!

Our Hymer is going into Peter Hambilton tomorrow to have the huge table taken out and a swan neck fitted (y)

marcus153

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630 Mercedes
Exp
How does the swan neck work if you want to convert the rear loumge to sleeping?

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
Oooooo. can I be so bold as to ask how much please?
We're not sure as yet as we're having some other work done too, so will be discussing it when we arrive tomorrow. I would hazard a guess that it's not going to be cheap! Having said that Peter Hambilton does a great job with everything, so we're happy to pay for quality workmanship. He's not far from you either :)

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Magic rafter and p/room? If what you have suits we may be able to strike a deal?

We only have the magic rafter, the p/room went with the Hymer. Sorry if I miss lead you.

I have checked and it is still packed away in the garage, if you are interested?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back