Aug 4, 2016
Reading, UK
Funster No
MH
Just curious
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello Funsters!

After much deliberation (and help in a previous thread) - I've decided to take the plunge and convert a panel-van into mid-week accommodation whilst working away from home. When I acquire the base vehicle, I'll probably start a progress-build-thread, more to keep myself on track than anything.....

The first hurdle, and probably biggest deciding factor, is base vehicle. We all know bigger is better, however this van will be my only vehicle and I will be using it to stealth camp in the week. I'm a tall chap (6ft 4), and I don't fancy being perpetually on my knees, so a tall van is probably required. My shortlist is:

Fiat Ducato LWB Super High Roof/Citroen Relay L3H3 - 2172mm load height, 1870 max load width
Ford Transit L3 (Long) H3 - 2125mm load height, 1784 max load width

Which would you recommend Funsters? Whilst the Sevel van is typically used for conversions, I've heard bad things about reliability; you can typically fix a transit with a hammer and some WD40....

My budget is £7,000 (£9,000 if a dealer takes p/x on a car)

Thank you :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What sort of layout are you planning? You could do a transverse bed in a Fiat but it won't accommodate your full 6'4" length however you could sleep in it diagonally which would.

I'd say stick with Fiat/Peaugeot/Citroen as they have a straighter body so will be easier to fit out, found this one on autotrader not a million miles from you which seems a good price but is the L3H2, not L3H3 so not sure if it will be tall enough.

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you can get one a Luton van would be easy to insulate if nothing else. Of course there isn't a way into the back from the cab but it would have plenty of room. I've seen one where they had fitted a set of patio doors at the back. Ex-horseboxes, the motorised sort, have also been converted, after evicting the residents. :)

I think you would probably still be better with a Ducato type but worth considering alternatives.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You could also consider a Vauxhall Movano:

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Tkly

Free Member
Nov 27, 2009
Near Stonehenge
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
9 Years
I have just finished converting a 2011 Iveco 43/13 (GVW 4200kg) ex immigration minibus, as a base vehicle it is 22ft long so the bed is fore & aft, my previous van was an Iveco 35/10 (GVW 3500kg) also 22ft long I had it 8yrs and sold it on when I got the new van, needed the higher GVW. The 43/13 cost £8000 and about £2500 to convert.So depending on your licence one of those may suit you.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back