Into the fray

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Papa_J, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Papa_J

Papa_J Funster

Hello Funsters!

After much deliberation (and help in a previous thread) - I've decided to take the plunge and convert a panel-van into mid-week accommodation whilst working away from home. When I acquire the base vehicle, I'll probably start a progress-build-thread, more to keep myself on track than anything.....

The first hurdle, and probably biggest deciding factor, is base vehicle. We all know bigger is better, however this van will be my only vehicle and I will be using it to stealth camp in the week. I'm a tall chap (6ft 4), and I don't fancy being perpetually on my knees, so a tall van is probably required. My shortlist is:

Fiat Ducato LWB Super High Roof/Citroen Relay L3H3 - 2172mm load height, 1870 max load width
    Ford Transit L3 (Long) H3 - 2125mm load height, 1784 max load width

Which would you recommend Funsters? Whilst the Sevel van is typically used for conversions, I've heard bad things about reliability; you can typically fix a transit with a hammer and some WD40....

My budget is £7,000 (£9,000 if a dealer takes p/x on a car)

Thank you :)

2. kevan

kevan Funster Life Member

transits are not as wide as the Ducato so if you are looking for space avoid the tranny

• Like Like x 1
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

And also have it stolen in seconds. ...as at least one funster can testify.

4. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

What sort of layout are you planning? You could do a transverse bed in a Fiat but it won't accommodate your full 6'4" length however you could sleep in it diagonally which would.

I'd say stick with Fiat/Peaugeot/Citroen as they have a straighter body so will be easier to fit out, found this one on autotrader not a million miles from you which seems a good price but is the L3H2, not L3H3 so not sure if it will be tall enough.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...dius=50&body-type=panel-van&logcode=p&adPos=6

5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If you can get one a Luton van would be easy to insulate if nothing else. Of course there isn't a way into the back from the cab but it would have plenty of room. I've seen one where they had fitted a set of patio doors at the back. Ex-horseboxes, the motorised sort, have also been converted, after evicting the residents. :)

I think you would probably still be better with a Ducato type but worth considering alternatives.

6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

7. Tkly

Tkly Funster

I have just finished converting a 2011 Iveco 43/13 (GVW 4200kg) ex immigration minibus, as a base vehicle it is 22ft long so the bed is fore & aft, my previous van was an Iveco 35/10 (GVW 3500kg) also 22ft long I had it 8yrs and sold it on when I got the new van, needed the higher GVW. The 43/13 cost £8000 and about £2500 to convert.So depending on your licence one of those may suit you.