Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have only had my m/h since October and have been out and about in the UK where I have managed to get free WiFi. I am now going further afield, what do I need to receive the internet.
I only use a kindle hd. I do not have a mobile, but thinking of getting one.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received, but keep it simple .

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I use my Oyster, and get internet through that,,, expensive bit of kit initially, but seems to work any where in Europe..

Prior to that we used an O2 dongle, pay as you go type thing..

A lot we came across on this winters trip were using a "MIFI"... cost so much in 24 hours... 12 midnight to 12 midnight,,,, and if you logged on at 11pm you only got an hour for the same money, so it paid to log on early in the day..

I think that is how it was explained... :thumb:

Upvote 0

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Its very varied.

We have managed for a number of years travelling in Europe without expensive satellites or dongles, for that matter.

Many sites have wifi either free or very cheap. (sometimes you have to go and sit in the bar, which is no real issue!)

If you are out and about many cafes and bars have free wifi, which if you don't have a laptop with you, you can connect to with a tablet or smartphone - or the kindle. Libraries in many towns have free wifi.

Just walk down a road in a town and you will probably find the odd free wifi!

And in some places (eg most town halls in France) you can borrow their computers to connect to the internet free.

In an emergency I can connect over the mobile network with my smartphone and use either that, or the computer tethered to it. - This is more expensive and I only do this occasionally as backup.

I have found it much easier than in England where free wifi is much scarcer, and a data signal on a mobile phone is also rarer in the remote parts of the country, much less of an issue on the continent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Its very varied.

We have managed for a number of years travelling in Europe without expensive satellites or dongles, for that matter.

Many sites have wifi either free or very cheap. (sometimes you have to go and sit in the bar, which is no real issue!)

If you are out and about many cafes and bars have free wifi, which if you don't have a laptop with you, you can connect to with a tablet or smartphone - or the kindle. Libraries in many towns have free wifi.

Just walk down a road in a town and you will probably find the odd free wifi!

And in some places (eg most town halls in France) you can borrow their computers to connect to the internet free.

In an emergency I can connect over the mobile network with my smartphone and use either that, or the computer tethered to it. - This is more expensive and I only do this occasionally as backup.

I have found it much easier than in England where free wifi is much scarcer, and a data signal on a mobile phone is also rarer in the remote parts of the country, much less of an issue on the continent.

Just thought I would mention that if you want to do any " secure" banking or similar, do not EVER use " Free" internet. It is open to the world. :Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back