Internet

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Lord Mac, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Lord Mac

Lord Mac Funster

I have only had my m/h since October and have been out and about in the UK where I have managed to get free WiFi. I am now going further afield, what do I need to receive the internet.
    I only use a kindle hd. I do not have a mobile, but thinking of getting one.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received, but keep it simple .

2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

I use my Oyster, and get internet through that,,, expensive bit of kit initially, but seems to work any where in Europe..

Prior to that we used an O2 dongle, pay as you go type thing..

A lot we came across on this winters trip were using a "MIFI"... cost so much in 24 hours... 12 midnight to 12 midnight,,,, and if you logged on at 11pm you only got an hour for the same money, so it paid to log on early in the day..

I think that is how it was explained... :thumb:

3. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

Its very varied.

We have managed for a number of years travelling in Europe without expensive satellites or dongles, for that matter.

Many sites have wifi either free or very cheap. (sometimes you have to go and sit in the bar, which is no real issue!)

If you are out and about many cafes and bars have free wifi, which if you don't have a laptop with you, you can connect to with a tablet or smartphone - or the kindle. Libraries in many towns have free wifi.

Just walk down a road in a town and you will probably find the odd free wifi!

And in some places (eg most town halls in France) you can borrow their computers to connect to the internet free.

In an emergency I can connect over the mobile network with my smartphone and use either that, or the computer tethered to it. - This is more expensive and I only do this occasionally as backup.

I have found it much easier than in England where free wifi is much scarcer, and a data signal on a mobile phone is also rarer in the remote parts of the country, much less of an issue on the continent.

4. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Just thought I would mention that if you want to do any " secure" banking or similar, do not EVER use " Free" internet. It is open to the world. :Smile:

• Like Like x 2