Internet CCTV in your house

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Candapack, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Candapack

Candapack Funster

Does anyone use this?
    If so, are you glad you have it, or do you rarely/never check it when you're away?
    And can you recommend any particular brand?
    We're planning on being away in van a lot in 2016, and we don't have anyone who can pop in regularly.
    Any advice welcome. Thanks.

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Text to neighbour "There's a parcel at the back door can you save it for us".

So they can work.

3. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We have had ip cameras for a long time and rely on them. Currently using y-cam wireless cameras. Records sound and motion in areas you designate,day and night. Sends you an email instantly with a picture and allows free unlimited storage of clips for 7 days. We have used other cameras but these are great and cost effective with no need to mess around with port forwarding etc.
    Here's a YouTube clip f typical footage (not ours)

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Son in law just fitted a 5 camera system....upgrading to 8 cameras.
    Dont know anything about it but it looks ok on his mobile.

5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we have it and occasionally look when away, have seen potential intruders while at home, warned off with a shout from window

when away, did us some good last year when I noticed after a week away I had forgotten to lock my car (door mirrors not folded in), got daughter to pop round

negative on same trip, noticed I had gone through huge amounts of data and couldn't see why, gradually turned off everything, last thing left on screen was the home cameras I had looked at the previous day and forgot to close, looks they take 2Gb an hour!!!! Be warned if not on wifi when away or unlimited data

6. Phill D

Phill D

we have a camera system that records and holds upto 2 weeks rolling and has the ability to txt you if there is any movement;
    switched that off rather quickly ....a txt everytime a bleeding cat walked on the drive at 3am was a real pain.:xdoh:

also an intruder alarm which rings up to 3 numbers ( in turn until one responds to the recorded message ) .

so the cameras are on constant record with a rolling 2 week over write and the house alarm rings you if someone enters the house without deactivating the alarm within the time limit ( or tampers with it )

happy with the system as if anything happens you get a call, you can check in and view and you have a recording that can be interigated.

peace of mind:xThumb:

7. Candapack

Candapack Funster

One thing that occurred to me, if you had a cctv system that stopped working while you were away, are you just going to worry that some scrote has de-activated it?

8. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

@Phill D do you have any more info on type of system/ manufacturer, etc please?

9. campa cola

campa cola Funster

I have run an ip camera system for about 5 years. The best thing is to run a mutiple ip camera system (so you can see if cameras are being deactivated) from a dedicated pc using a ip management software programme like camuniversal or blue iris. These programmes often offer more accurate triggering systems than in-camera ones and a multitude of recording and monitoring options. Also you can use a programme like team viewer to remotely log onto your pc from your laptop or phone and deal with any issues like a camera needing a remote re boot. I also use a pc based remote ip resolving system called no-ip which ensures the cameras are always visible from the internet if Virgin Media change my routers ip address.

I have been using a new Foscam outdoor camera system recently which have much better in camera facilities for a simple set up for remote monitoring without a PC but will still keep that pc system operating in case I need to do remote management.

The cameras I have recently bought are the Foscam FI9803P these dont work with camuniversal but do with blue iris.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  10. Phill D

Phill D

will get more info and pm you. youngest son works for a security systems importer.

11. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Fit 2 separate systems. one watches the other.While they are deactivating one the second alerts you. :xThumb::)

• Like Like x 2
  12. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I used to use an on depth ip system with port forwarding and monitoring software ... I decided to be honest that it was just too complicated for what we needed. With what we have all we have to worry about is the security of the power cables (we do not use poe anymore)
    Cameras placed in good locations to avoid being tampered with and provide a good overview. I get an email if any camera goes offline.
    We need mobile access to them.. and a TV channel too so we can see the drive.

You can pick up complete sets at costco and maplins etc.. most of the time when I've seen output from these systems they're not too good tbh. (I'm sure some are)
    Just make sure that the image you're going to get is good.

13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We put a Swann system (from Maplins) in a couple of years ago. It's a four camera system which was on offer at the time. I occasionally look at it using an Android app on my phone when we are away but not often. We have good neighbours who keep an eye on things.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Scottishdave

Scottishdave Read Only Funster

I have considered a multi camera ip system but what happens if your telephone line is damaged, ie some scrote pulls down the oh wire from the telegraph pole to your house. System disabled!

15. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

You can't cater for every eventuality. But in that case I would receive an email that the cameras were offline.
    Telephone lines pulled down isn't that common tbh.

16. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Same as Graham. It all depends how much you want to pay for the quality of image from your camera, and the features you want from your management software. Technical knowledge for some is also an issue, Swann and similar guide you through the setup that most with little technical knowledge can follow.
    I have specified and installed some very high spec systems, but balancing cost, prevention (they will go for next door before me), and getting a reasonable basic image, then I decided a high cost system for home was unnecessary. The Swann gives me internet access via an app.
    Mine is less to protect home than to let me see the MH when we are away without it, it's much more important to get that reassurance.

• Like Like x 1
  17. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

• Like Like x 2
  18. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Good quality image Grumps147.

• Like Like x 1
  19. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Now if you saw the same image from some of the higher end cameras you would see instantly the difference. Mine look ok, and the would assist with a basic ID, but if it came to detailed analysis they would fail miserably which is what sdc77 is referring to. I know that, and accept that you get what you pay for in this field.
    I would never recommend these systems for small business use, but you see many low end alarm installers doing just that.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Agreed. They are what they are, just like most domestic/vehicle alarm systems, a deterrent to send the thief elsewhere.