Internet access

Discussion in 'Web Connections' started by Road Runner, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

2. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Member

Might be okay for e-mails and occasional web browsing. There is no audio capability, so VOIP is a no-no. Also, security issues regarding the product have been raised.

Having said that, would love to get my hands on one for an hour.

Oh, and it's free for 20 hours per MONTH usage - You can upgrade for 5.99 to unlimited, but I suspect my usage would be classed as "unfair".

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/handhelds/0,39029444,49291604,00.htm gives a fairly good overview - make sure you read the comments too!

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I saw a post about it on another forum so did a Google and the results were a bit of a mixture.

Currently I use my mobile linked via bluetooth to either PDA or laptop, which works OK for e-mail (main usage in the van) so I think I'd like to see the pocketsurfer in operation before committing myself.

Graham

4. mark e

mark e Read Only Funster

Looks the business. i might treat myself to one, its nearly christmas after all :BigGrin:

5. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

---Thread moved to 'Web Connections' forum.---

6. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

PocketSurfer 3 is now out, has anyone bought any PocketSurfer?

ShiftZZ

7. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

I saw the pocket 2 surfer in operation (a motorhomer from Keswick was showing me) emails...veerrrryyyyyyyyy slowwwwwww but hey it worked not sure I would go down that line.
    Mel in France

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I touched one in Maplin. Cheap and nasty keyboard was my first reaction. Try before you buy.

9. Ambilkate

Ambilkate Funster Life Member

pocket surfer

We have a pocket surfer 2. We will be at the Shepton Mallet show in September, if anyone wants to look + have a go, i find it usefull just to view my emails, news weather, that is once i worked out how to use the thing! We are looking for an alternative.

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I looked at them but decided to go with a wireless dongle to use with the laptop. Subsequently, because the laptop is a bit big for lugging with us in the van I bought a netbook (running XP to be compatible with the dongle) for not a lot more than the Pocketsurfer costs.

Being XP I could, if necessary, load software I use for business and use the netbook to do some work whilst away. It also means we can use the e-mail software we are used to and can easily create an extra back up copy of important files to take with us.

Horses for courses though, computers are only tools when all's said & done. As Brian says, try before you buy and see if it suits what you want to do.

Graham