Internet Access while travelling

Discussion in 'Computers' started by enery8, Nov 6, 2012.

1. enery8

enery8 Funster

Morning all. I am seeking advice/Info regarding access while in Europe. We have mobile internet via a MIFI at home (Britain) but don't know if it will work in, say France, or if we would need to get a French sim for the MIFI. Can anyone advise please.
    Thanks, Bill & Sue

2. JJ

JJ Funster

Rather depends on how you want to use the internet.

If you only mean France and only want to pick up the odd email or two then a lot of folk use the free wi-fi at MacDonalds.

If you want more regular and heavier use then you need to throw money at it for sims and dongles etc... And in France that means quite a lot of it!

When I am away from Portugal I hunt for stray wiF-fi hotspots... Libraries, town centres, some restaurants, hotels and bars etc.

A wi-fi signal amplifier has improved my chances of success in these cases.

Then, of course, I understand some campsites have wi-fi...

JJ

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  3. enery8

enery8 Funster

Thank you for the info JJ, I will need to look out for a wifi signal amplifier. I did see a wifi antenna recently on youtube but thought it was a bit far fetched:BigGrin:

4. JJ

JJ Funster

A Funster has a business selling these amplifiers...

Some one will be along soon and give you the info...

but I use this one from Amazon...

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/TurboTenna-NextG-USB-Yagi-Antenna-2200mW/dp/B003X8DOBS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352210545&sr=8-1"]TurboTenna NextG USB-Yagi High Power WiFi Antenna 2200mW: Amazon.co.uk: Office Products[/ame]

JJ

5. Geordie and the Dragon

Geordie and the Dragon Funster

Internet Acess while travelling

Try logging into www.motorhomewifi.com you should find something there to fit your requirements - Happy Travelling :youbetcha:

6. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

These have proved popular and reliable so far and with funsters discount:thumb:

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/alltek-wi-fi-booster.html

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  7. pablomc

pablomc Funster Life Member

8. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

I have a MIFI mobile router which we use at home and in the van for internet access. We have just returned from France and Spain we were touring for 5 / 6 weeks. Before we left I checked with provider if I had international roaming and was assured I did, however as soon as I crossed the channel it refused to work and remained that way until we returned. Have'nt had the chance to speak to them yet but was very dissapointed.

9. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I have a T-Mobile dongle that will work in France etc at a cost. The cost at €35 for 30 days is quite reasonable, but there is so much wifi around that it wouldn't be used every day. My Vodaphone Iphone can also connect at €3 a day which is cheaper than some site wifi, though a lot is free and so I make use of it if it's there.:thumb:

10. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

AS JJ has pointed out, free wifi is available in France, from places like Macdonalds and campsites like ours, Parc Verger in the Limousin. We're in the process of upgrading our wifi so that it will be available from every pitch - at present there is one area where reception is not good without one of the booster aerials that have also be mentioned above, and we want everyone who stays here to have the benefit of it.:BigGrin:
    So come on over to France - it is a beautiful country and there is so much to see.
    Bob
    www.parcverger.com

• Like Like x 1