Internet access in Europe

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by fletch_lives, Mar 3, 2014.

1. fletch_lives

fletch_lives Read Only Funster

Does anyone have a suggestion for general internet access throughout Europe other than at camp sites with WiFi? Would you recommend a satellite system (expensive!!!) or some other method (a dongle or whatever)?

I use an internet connection a lot while stationary for things like Netflix, etc. I am looking for something for when I hit the road soon. I am new to "full timing" and I would like to be free of camp sites occasionally.

2. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

I would suggest our EuropaSIM and MiFi device, but then I saw something which set alarm bells ringing...

Netflix

The difficulty here is (out of country IP issues aside) streaming video takes a LOT of data, maybe upto 500Mb/hour if watching in HD. So while a 500Mb daily allowance with the EuropaSIM is considered generous and could easily last all day if managed properly, you could use it in an hour - assuming of course that the 3G reception was fast enough to stream.

Satellite internet is likely to have the same restrictions for data - 10Gb/Month is one of the better packages for European use priced at £30/mth, but you have to pay circa £3500 for the equipment its a non-starter for most.

In the UK there is only one tariff which would support this usage, the Three Unlimited plan, but you can't use this in Europe while tethering to another device from your phone.

Your best option might be the FON network if spending much time in France?
    http://maps.fon.com

Hope this helps - let me know if we can be of any more assistance.

Adam

• Like Like x 2
  3. webby1

webby1 Funster

Europasim

You would expect that Addie would suggest the Europasim set up that he sells.

So you need independent views..................

We have had the set up for 18 months and cannot fault it for ease of access across Europe.......................there will be cheaper deals in each country if you can find them, install and set up the Sim and then change it again for another country.

At a cost of €3 on the days you use it, the 500 mb allowance is more than enough...................UNLESS you start downloading movies or streaming content.

4. JJ

JJ Funster

Addie's Euro SIM card thingy is a ridiculous price at €3 for 500 MBs full speed and unlimited after that at reduced speed.

Cripes, I am ONLY paying €1 per MB... (one euro for each megabyte) on my Portuguese Vodafone 3-4G sim card while here in Germany...

AND I had to use it once in France for the footy scores...:cry:

So one day's use of Addie's thingy (€3) would only cost me €500.

JJ :Cool:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  5. SMB

SMB Funster

After struggling with poor wifi systems at various campsites last year I decided to buy an internet dish for the van, as Addie says it was around £3500 to buy and have fitted, and £30 a month for 10gb which is fine for browsing, small downloads etc but streaming will use it up very quickly. You can pay for more data if your monthly allowance runs out for around £18. However, betwween 11pm-7am UK time it is unlimited downloads so if you are a night owl it may suit you. The footprint is supposed to fall short of the southern coasts of Portugal, Spain etc but it has worked everywhere I have been so far including the Algarve and the Costa Del Sol. Unlike the BBC now :cry:.
    I also have a Iboost so I can use the campsite wifi when its free to save on my data allowance, it works very well (yes I like gadgets). I have not used the mifi's but they are apparently very good.
    Hope this helps.

6. chaser

chaser Funster

Not wanting to start this again, but I still have not been able to get fon to work, not worried any more , it just isn't worth the hassle, not enough hours in the day:Eeek:
    But for anyone else trying it , don't waste your life:Doh:
    Sorry should have said bt fon

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  7. webby1

webby1 Funster

Europasim

You know someone has just posted a question about indispensable items to take on any motorhome trip.

There are always different views ( no really there are ??)

But to me beyond dispute is a refillable gas system and the Europasim system for internet access.............................. anything else is just messing about and hassle to save a few bob.

8. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

These days you can get the equipment for £300 and 70 per month can get you unlimited data. Even much cheaper deals will give you the 23-07 unlimited data.

9. Addie

The 'unlimited data*' package @ £69.95 is only available in the UK and France on 'Zone 1':
    [​IMG]

Outside of this area, the best on offer is a 10Gb package at £29.95 which includes 8.5Gb of downloads and 1.7Gb of uploads. If you wanted 'unlimited downloads 11pm-7am' it is an extra £7/mth.

The footprint is a little more pessimistic and with later modems should be available on the Spanish coast, as SMB rightly says.

[​IMG]

* Packages allow unlimited data each month. However, speeds are progressively reduced as data amount steps are reached.

10. fletch_lives

fletch_lives Read Only Funster

Thanks

I will have to reconsider my streaming habits, I guess. I can access Netflix by using Witopia internet VPN which makes my IP address look like it is in the US. I will have to save my pennies for a satellite system.

11. ukbill

ukbill Funster

jj are ypou smoking the plants you are growing don't you mean yours would cost you 500e @1e a mb the europasim is 3e for 500mb????

12. JJ

JJ Funster

NO

13. ukbill

ukbill Funster

is that it no aint ya up for a discussion then :Smile:

14. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

This doesn't make sense JJ .... you appear to be saying that YOUR sim is cheaper than the one from Addie, but you are actually stating the opposite! You are paying €1 per mb ... but for €3 with Addie's you get 500mb ... you've been eating too may steak and ale pies again haven't you! :Laughing:

Are you getting your mb and gb mixed up by any chance?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ukbill

ukbill Funster

he has had a dodgy frey bentos pie i think :Smile:

16. JJ

JJ Funster

I believe it's called sarcasm...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

What! You call your pies sarcasm! I know people name their cars and campers ... but pies!!! :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

18. Encantador

Encantador Funster

You can use a TV Sat system and add a internet LNB to have both TV and internet from one dish. A lot cheaper than £3500.

19. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Device

What is the device that is £69.95 per month etc?

I've got an Italian SIM card now as follows:

125 inbound minutes, 125 outward minutes, 250 texts, 500MB data - this whole lot, valid for one week, for ten euro! Bargain! It works in 41 countries at that price.

Russell

20. Addie

Satellite Internet, the package is from Beyond DSL, Russell.

It's not for everyone.