Apr 24, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 741F
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,

I would like to know if there is any broadband, item, ecc. which can be used to have internet abroad in EU.

Thank you

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A lot of us use a MiFi device, often with a Three sim card which covers many countries at the same price as the UK. Have a search on here for "MiFi" and you should get some ideas.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use one of these.
or the alfa version of the same .
it picks up local wifi and hotspots . if unlocked your in .
ideal for parking by towns ,villages etc .
if really in the wilds it not brill . but have used them for years . works all over eu and maroc .
i use one here at home . dont have telephone or anything here just use free wifi.
used a dongle for awhile but that worked no better than these and its free .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
just get a mifi then a 3 network data sim 12 gig for 30quid i think it is ,it lasts for 12 months or untill the 12gig is spent which ever is earlier

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Daniele

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 741F
Exp
I'm a newbie
The Mifi is just a portable wifi and I should choose the supplier as 3, Vodafone ecc.
I've never used one of this, is it good? Can I watch some movies in streaming abroad if I use it?

The other one is like a ' thief of wifi unlocked ' :)
Is still possible now to find unlocked wifi?
We usually go in the wilds or in parking in villages or towns but no camping sites.
But it is very cheap so maybe a try... :)

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
look on ebay for a unlocked mifi they are not expensive then get a data sim from 3 store,its a 3 sim im using here on lake garda,you can stream but remember u have a 12gig limit,although i have downloaded 3 films and still just used 1.5gig

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Daniele

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 741F
Exp
I'm a newbie
So, if I choose one of these Amazon product ASIN ( I don't understand anything of these things... ) and I buy a 3 sim, I pay 30£ and I have 12Gb for 1 year and, if I finish (for sure) them before, I pay other 30£ and I have other 12GB that I can use abroad as well?

The other thing, that I don't know its name, how does it work?
Do you need a sim or it is like a modem and you connect your devices on it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Daniele

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 741F
Exp
I'm a newbie
look on ebay for a unlocked mifi they are not expensive then get a data sim from 3 store,its a 3 sim im using here on lake garda,you can stream but remember u have a 12gig limit,although i have downloaded 3 films and still just used 1.5gig

Are you on lake garda now?

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
@Danielle, I've got a Netgear AC762S mifi, used with a local sim overseas and around Europe/UK with an EE sim. You just shove the sim in the back and then connect to it just like you would your home wifi. Set up is really easy from your web browser for things like password etc. Nice thing is you can set it to switch off the display after a short period if you wish so it isn't sitting with LEDs blinking.

Like the others it will work on 4G right down if there is sufficient signal available so you can do anything you'd normally do on your smart phone/tablet etc.
This one has a battery which lasts a fair while but is rechargeable from a USB socket. I generally keep it permanently powered up.

You can connect external aerials to it if you want it to work in areas with poor reception or inside an aluminium sheet lined van like mine.

Its going to become a fixture in RH with external aerials.

Only in Germany did I have a problem (not the mifi's fault) and I had to buy a German Vodafone sim, because the EE service didn't extend to there. I believe from others that 3 is presently better in that regard. However the right to use your normal data plan extends Europe wide, I think, from April next year.

Upvote 0

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I've just got myself a TP-Link MIFI on an EE monthly rolling contract at £22 a month for 16gig. I've been using it at home as an alternative to bothering renewing our home broadband and phone package as I object to paying for line rental and WIFI when we're away from the house at least 6 months of the year!

I'm getting 4g and it's the quickest connection I've ever had anywhere! EE I don't believe are as good as '3' abroad for costs etc? But I also noticed that '3' do the 12gig sim for £30 that I shall take back abroad with me.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I have just found this press release (June 2015) from the European Commission regarding the scrapping of roaming charges...

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-15-5275_en.htm

The gist of it seems to say that roaming charges within the EU will end on
15 June 2017 but there will be a "fair use safeguard" to prevent "permanent roaming"
There is an interim lowering of roaming charges to be introduced in April 2016...
"As from April 2016, roaming prices will be cheaper: operators will only be able to charge a small additional amount to domestic prices up to €0.05 per minute of call made, €0.02 per SMS sent, and €0.05 per MB of data (excl. VAT)."

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
So, if I choose one of these Amazon product ASIN ( I don't understand anything of these things... ) and I buy a 3 sim, I pay 30£ and I have 12Gb for 1 year and, if I finish (for sure) them before, I pay other 30£ and I have other 12GB that I can use abroad as well?

The other thing, that I don't know its name, how does it work?
Do you need a sim or it is like a modem and you connect your devices on it?

Hi Daniel,
I can understand your confusion.

A Mifi is a piece of kit, the size of a skimming stone . Inside it is a space for you to put a SIM card in. You buy the SIM card from a supplier but, as already stated 3 have a deal at £30 for 12 Gig (enough for an hours surfing a day, every day for a year.)
Having put the SIM card in, the mifi picks up a telephone signal and sends out a signal (encoded) for a short distance. Your computer picks up that signal, you verify that it's you (by using the code on the back of the mifi) and the mifi and your computer recognize each other. You then use your computer.

Emmitdb
Sitting in his jim jams
66yrs old
Computer illiterate
(If I can understand the above, anyone can)

And finally, to answer your question. Your 3 SIM card lasts a max of 12mths. If you use it up before then, then you put another one in. I have just bought one even though a one in the MIfi is only 2mths old. The clock doesn't start running on the one I've bought until I put it in the Mifi but at £30, it's a bargain, especially as it works just as well in France Spain and a few other countries.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi

Just to add to the above the "3"Sim whilst valid for 12 months or whatever period you pay for is subject to a limit whilst abroad. It is about 2 months beyond which "3" may block it for further use abroad. The "3" facility to use its phones and broadband Sims on their Feel at Home scheme which allows you to use it abroad as if you were at home is based on the premis that it will cover holidays or business trips of reasonable duration not months on end.

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
:active:
have a deal at £30 for 12 Gig (enough for an hours surfing a day, every day for a year.)

:)Out here our guys can run through 12GB in a week:active::active:

I'd love to hear the providers explaining the costs they encur with roaming.. Out here a 20GB sim costs approx £13 can be topped up online, in English, (which is more than I could with Vodafone in Germany) and will data roam in every neighbouring country for a one off fee of approx £3, and we are supposed to be a first world country.......

Upvote 0

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
:active:

:)Out here our guys can run through 12GB in a week:active::active:

I'd love to hear the providers explaining the costs they encur with roaming.. Out here a 20GB sim costs approx £13 can be topped up online, in English, (which is more than I could with Vodafone in Germany) and will data roam in every neighbouring country for a one off fee of approx £3, and we are supposed to be a first world country.......
Hi Robin where abouts is that in that you are atm :)

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
@joedeath332 nowhere that helps with motorhome connections unfortunately:cry:. I'm talking about Thailand, where I work. Fast broadband 4G connections are easily available in all major population areas and data is cheap. I don't think European providers have any excuse for the poor/ripoff service they give and thank goodness the EEC has tried to do something about it. If DTAC AIS and True in Thailand can give good cheap service then the European providers haven't a leg to stand on.

Upvote 0
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
The problem with 3mobile data sim is that the feel at home cover very few of the eurpien countries and they now limiting use for two months in a row.
Tesco mobile (and Vodafone) offering no roaming charges in 31 Europien countries this summer.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back