Internet abroad 2016 options

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DavidG58, Feb 16, 2016.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

We are in France and have as a lot of us do these days a need or internet on the move

A couple of years ago we invested in a Mifi and an iBoost, we also have internet phones and Bev luuurves her iPad

For this trip I bought a new 3 sim for both the iPad and mifi, (one for each) both are on the same network but we can very rarely connect with the mifi but always with the iPad as a hotspot

Question or statement, is there any point in having a mifi these days if you have an iPad or similar that can be a hotspot, a couple of years ago it was too expensive, but maybe not so now

2. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Yes because you can plug a proper aerial into a mifi, if the iboost I looked at is two bits of plastic stuck on your iPhone the aerial set up is far superior. I have just rigged up my mifi to my cigarette lighter USB system (for charging on the move) and the aerial I got off EBay for 4G WIFI on the move http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/4G-3G-LTE-C...iFi-Mobile-Broadband-/231519393445?nav=SEARCH. Got 10 days unlimited data on a Portuguese NOS Kanguru livre card for €10, after 10 days chuck it and buy another rather than register it for a worse rate!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I agree with your logic, but with both in same MH, even with a 'proper' aerial the mifi usually doesn't but the iPad always connects

best of luck with yours, I might be doing something wrong, it is becoming the norm :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

You've got a problem with your MiFi I think or something in its setup. I've just bought a new MiFi and a 4g aerial. At home I can get 30 Mbps upload and download with it. This is considerably faster than I get at home with the landline broadband.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

you are almost certainly right, but please let it rest there, do not try and help, my technical peaked at fitting the sim card :LOL::LOL:

the sim in the mifi has more data but shorter duration than the ipad sim so we are going to swap them tomorrow

will have a chat with motorhomewifi when home, not important enough for now (y)

• Like Like x 4
  6. Eamless

Eamless Funster

Without being technical.
    If you bought a MiFi that has worse connectivity than an iPad then you have bought a duff. iPads are generally the worse connecting bits of hardware going.
    Is there any point in having a MiFi?
    Yes, because with a correct functioning MiFi with LTE aerial you do not need a sim in your iPad to get on to the internet. This will save you the cost of two connections and provide you with a far better internet experience than you will ever get by using the iPad as a 'router'

• Like Like x 3
  7. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

Worth looking at 3's t&c's. Generally you can't use phone/ iPad as a hotspot wit 3 when abroad.
    We have a mifi with a 3 sim which can connect to 5 devices simultaneously
    The 3 dim is competitive and can be topped out easily. Also worth considering a local Vodafone sim if somewhere like Germany which isn't covered by 3.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I think it might well be something I am doing wrong, but my question still stands, why buy a mifi if you already have an ipad, we have used Bev's ipad at virtually every stop we have made, as the mifi can see internet but will not allow access, I will email motorhomewifi when home, I abused @Addie enough to get the iboost working (y)

9. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

not sure if this is a shouldn't do or can't do, we have used or abused Bev's ipad for the past 2 weeks all round France, good connectivity and no problems making it a hot spot (y)

We haven't knowingly breached the T's and C's

10. solo 1

solo 1 Funster Life Member

Are we talking Apple ipad with sim please

11. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we are indeed :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

You really should be able to get a better connection with a MiFi and an aerial but if the iPad works for you then I suggest stick with it. By all means raise the issue with the supplier and see if they can talk you through setting the MiFi up - or determine if it is faulty, which it might be. However, you shouldn't assume a MiFi is a waste of money, it certainly isn't and they work well for many of us but clearly something about your set up is odd, - your MiFi setup is definitely iffy, or should that be iFFi? :)

• Like Like x 3
  13. Speve

Speve Funster

Have always used our iPad wifi-cellular with a mobidata card and can get internet in most places in France,Spain & Portugal although there are always a few black holes where you can't get a signal don't see the need for Mifi

14. Eamless

Eamless Funster

What the MiFi with an aerial will give you is the best possible connection. All hardware has design compromises. This means the aerials in a phone or a tablet or a laptop or MiFi are basically rubbish due to size. You may well be getting a connection with your ipad but the speed of your connection will not be as good as a MiFi with a LTE aerial. With such a beastie you will get 4G through most of Europe, anywhere. Your iPad is probably connecting at 3g speeds at best.
    So the reason for a MiFi is you have one data contract that is fast and secure. With your current set-up you are paying twice for slow and secure. With the iBoost you are slow with no security. That is why you have a MiFi.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Eamless

Eamless Funster

I think you answered your own question. With a good Mifi you do not get the black holes.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

but do you then use it as a hot spot? that is key for us, so we can both be on line at the same time (y)

17. Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt Funster Life Member

We have often been in places where Cathryn's iPad and iPhone have worked well with their own sim yet my android phone and tablets and mifi with aerial did not. Currently in Portugal, great connectivity with NOS (thanks for heads up on that one JJ). Unlimited, great speed and only 1 Euro per day, both of us using phones, laptop and tablets via mifi. RESULT

18. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

I have a net gear mifi, it is essentially its own hotspot as you can connect up to 15 devices on1 sim. I use three in France and Spain, Maroc Telecom in Morocco, and presently the Nos sim previously mentioned in Portugal. The only problem I have ever had is in Morocco last year when the APN settings did not change automatically which they normally do. This MAY be your problem if so Addie will help even though it is relatively simple to do it yourself (thanks @TerryL and @CherryPirate) by the way, see the thread on here for the deal 3 has at the moment for 12gig 1 year sims. Good luck.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Thanks for that, I reckon that might well be my problem, although it seemed to work brilliantly when we first came over, but after a couple of days we couldn't connect again

I reckon we have the identical system to you (y)

Will be I touch with Adam when Bevs sim runs out of data :LOL:

20. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Here we go again! I don't understand any of this. I wish someone would do a training course for ancient motorhomers...

• Like Like x 3