Jaspwieser

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Hi guys, I have had the motorhomes for a year now and the one major bug that's getting me is that when the engine starts all the rear lights and power turn off.
The children can use their DVD players unless I run power from the cab

Is there any remedy for this

Regards

Richard

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Yes!

Change the van for a foreign one or tell us the make and model and someone should be able to come up with an answer!:Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes you need an auto electrician to move the feed wire for you, it's like that on a lot if not all UK built vans, safety idea

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

Jaspwieser

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I think changing it for another is a little drastic but not out of the question

It's an Elddis auto quest 165

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Hi guys, I have had the motorhomes for a year now and the one major bug that's getting me is that when the engine starts all the rear lights and power turn off.
The children can use their DVD players unless I run power from the cab

[HI]
Is there any remedy for this

[/HI]Regards

Richard

Yes, go without them !

I have a Swift and my 12 volts cuts out. It's intended, to discourage use of habitation area when on the move. As stated by Geo, get a professional in, use the cigar lighter socket or don't take the kids.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The habitation electrics switching off is a design requirement of the National CARAVAN Council.
British manufacturers, for some strange reason, value NCC compliancy badges on their products.
As a result of this, most British made vans have this pointless 'safety' measure implemented!:cry:
Continental vans don't have this feature and continental kids travel, keeping warm, with all their mod cons operable!

There are ways round it, it usually involves a bit of a wiring modification. Hopefully someone will be able to help.:thumb:

Welcome to Motorhome Fun BTW!::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont even ask where it is as i dont know on your van but somewhere in the supply wire between battery and fuse box there will be a relay....probably near the fuse box.

when the ignition is turned on this relay is energised and opens its normally closed contacts which then disconnects the battery from the fuse box.

to enable full time hab power this relay needs to be bypassed by removing the wires from terminals 30 and 87 on the relay then joining the two wires together.

if you arent confident with 12v electrics and are unsure how to trace wiring then please ask an auto electrician to sort it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jaspwieser

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I can fully understand the going without the kids DVD and even the kids, but her indoors might not totally understand that thinking

Can anyone recommend a auto electrician around the south Yorkshire area

Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, go without them !

I have a Swift and my 12 volts cuts out. It's intended, to discourage use of habitation area when on the move. As stated by Geo, get a professional in, use the cigar lighter socket or don't take the kids.

mine too was a Kontiki 640L and that also disconnected....which is how i know how to change it. :thumb:

mine was in the underseat storage area behind and below the charger in the wardrobe.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you find out , I wouldn't mind knowing , I have a avantgauard 150 and have the same problem

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back