Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Last Wednesday I stopped at Morn Hill Caravan Club site just out side Winchester.. There were only a few people camping and there was lots of space. I was the only motorhome there and parked up with lots of vacant spots either side....by Friday the site was almost full and what was most interesting was the perceived snobbery with motorhomeers all the newish ones congregated at one end of the site well away from us that had pre 2008 motorhomes ,is this normal,if so its time to go back to tugging as there was no apparent snobbery amongst that fraternity.:Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It can work the other way.. you are parked up on CL, in the corner of empty field.. someone pulls in and parks not 6 meters away..

before you know it there are three or four all next to each other .. I call it 'clumping' .. or the herd instinct ...

personally I always hope people park as far away as possible.. and never thought it was snobbishness when the do 'clump' away from me..

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We tend to try and park away from others for our own space and so the dog can have more of an extended lead however if we are wild camping we move a bit closer to another MH . Makes mum feel safer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I would say not, in my experience it does not matter what van you have Motorhomers in general are friendly folk, like all walks if life you get some obnoxious ones, but best they are parked away. Maybe they were a group of friends who wanted to be together and did not want to disturb you if they had a few drinks in their vans in the evening.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Never experienced that - in fact the opposite when I had my very old (but gorgeous) Swift Kon-Tiki 640/6 (y) people with new MoHo's would congregate around that, many would come over for a gander and most would say how roomy it was compared to their new ones, especially when we took the deck chairs up and relaxed on the roof.

I have an 06 Apache now so not sure where it would fit in your example, but for sure I have never experienced the issue. Could it be the ones who came in were just a bunch of MoHoers who just knew each other and were running together???

Regards,

Trikeman.;)

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
The feeling of " snobbishness" came from the observation that all the pre2008 motorhomes of which there were five of us that were there together when the post 2008 motorhomes arrived the following day all parked at the farthest point away from us ...would point out though didn't see any funster stickers on any of these...

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We've not had enough trips in the mh yet but can't say that I've noticed.

However, I felt that when we used cc sites with the caravan that there was a certain amount of snobbery......one of the reasons we started using cl's/cs's(y)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Well in my thought 2008 is quite a new van our much loved van is 15 years old and I've never felt that, though it's possible they were just snobs and snobs are snobs no matter what their hobby I certainly would not change my hobby for them.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I always try to park near to a new van - they are obviously considerably richer than me, and more likely to have plenty of quality booze on board. I hope they take pity on me and feel the need to share. I like to have rich friends and associates, and will always let them get to the bar ahead of me - just out of courtesy you understand:p

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I always try to park near to a new van - they are obviously considerably richer than me, and more likely to have plenty of quality booze on board. I hope they take pity on me and feel the need to share. I like to have rich friends and associates, and will always let them get to the bar ahead of me - just out of courtesy you understand:p

Like it! Not much point in us parking up together then!! :clap:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It's a bit like the bible, you can read into it anything you want.
Choose to see snobbery and you will. Choose not to, and you'll see all sorts of other possible reasons, like even - just maybe - coincidence.
I think you've answered yourself really:
the perceived snobbery
When we roll up on site we're too busy arguing (about which side we want the door on, where the sun comes up, how close do we want to be to the loos, shall we go in nose-first or arse-first), to bother about checking number-plates to see how old the other mohos are.
Did you go over & chat?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Now that's got that thread up and running I will pop out to ldls and get some fresh rolls to share with my neighbours in their brand new hymer..

Reactions: CWH
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Is that why you decided not to buy an expensive new van :whistle:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This is what we have noticed a couple of times

get on site.. A van appears and parks some way away.
Within a short time a second one turns up and parks near the first.
To start with there does not seem any interaction between the 'crews' but over a weekend we realise they know each other.
So a third and forth etc turn up.. They see one van on its own and two together.
Its human nature ( as already said ) to clump together, so the later arrivals will tend to park near the bigger group ( as in the two vans rather than the one )
As more vans appear the situation gets worse and by the time there are 4 ish vans parked up later arrivals think it is YOU that is stuck up as all they see is a group parked in one area and a single van parked off alone !

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
The problem is there are snobs out there.
But its there loss not ours.
I have never had a problem.
Some people want to park near others some dont.
Most motorhomers will talk to each other.
Most motorhomers are Funsters they just dont know about the site.

Mel

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
It never bothers me where anyone else parks - people have had their fun watching me arrive at sites and then a) driving round and round to find the right Mrs Colpot approved spot and b) getting the Van round the right way/level.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've mentioned this before, but when we owned a 1975 VW Kombi there was a campsite at Bude where the neighbours on the next pitch used to erect their windbreaks along the pitch boundary every time we came chugging back from a day at the beach. I suppose it was easier than bringing a privet hedge with them.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I guess they could all be regulars who know you were parked by the septic tank over flow

or any other number of reasons I guess, most likely as said above travelling but not arriving as a group

narrowboatjaks

Free Member
Nov 2, 2014
Burton Hastings
Funster No
MH
rapido
Exp
17yrs
Would like to comment about what its like in a mh but as its broke down in France 1 hr from Calais, waiting to be repatriated, I didn't have chance to find out!:cry:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
It's a bit like the bible, you can read into it anything you want.
Choose to see snobbery and you will. Choose not to, and you'll see all sorts of other possible reasons, like even - just maybe - coincidence.
I think you've answered yourself really:

When we roll up on site we're too busy arguing (about which side we want the door on, where the sun comes up, how close do we want to be to the loos, shall we go in nose-first or arse-first), to bother about checking number-plates to see how old the other mohos are.
Did you go over & chat?

Sounds so familiar !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back