Interesting find in the 1841 Scotland census (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
An interesting find in the 1841 Census for South Uist that confirmed that many people had emigrated from that Island to Cape Breton in Nova Scotia. It is unusual to find such comments in a Census. Notably the number of people enumerated in North Uist dropped from 4,419 to 3,907 between 1841 to 1851.

Click below to see the entry, which reads:

There has been no emigration from this Parish for the last 6 months, but for some years past about 300 souls have annually emigrated from this Island to Cape Breton Nova Scotia, there will be about the same number going there from the different districts of the Parish in the month of July next.

Attachments

• breton2.jpg
    breton2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 31

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Studied history at college many moons ago and used to love searching through old census returns, parish records etc.... Traced an American lady's family back to the 1500s just through all the local records. no internet the, and can't believe we students were allowed to handle papers so old :whatthe:

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
Interesting Jim. What site did you get the Scottish census on, if you don't mind me asking. I've found that some of Tom's ancestors went to Scotland in the 1800's from Ireland and would be interested to see the census returns.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Interesting Jim. What site did you get the Scottish census on, if you don't mind me asking. I've found that some of Tom's ancestors went to Scotland in the 1800's from Ireland and would be interested to see the census returns.

I use Scotland's People.. an excellent resource ... http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/welcome.aspx

I'm stuck with my family tree.. I discovered they were in Ireland in the 1700s .. but many Irish records from that time were lost .. last known place was Drumore in Co Down, my GGG grandfather Augustus Allan born around 1770.. his son Thomas moved to Scotland circa 1820

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back