Interesting Day. NOT

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Bilbat, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Bilbat

Bilbat Funster

Hi Everybody.
    Motorhome is a Lunar Roadstar on a 2005 Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD. Just got outside Ripon when the engine decided Enough is enough and stopped. 1 red dashlight came on. Called the people in the orange vans and had to wait 90 minutes for him to arrive and tell me the high pressure fuel pump was leaking past the gaskets and it would have to be transported. Waited another 90 minutes for the transport to arrive. Got it loaded and on our way, as we thought, back to the repair place near Warwick, West Midlands. Nope. We were taken to Alfreton to change lorries to continue the journey. Total time from breakdown to getting home, 10 Hours. Just having a gripe. Thanks for listening.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I thought the RAC and AA stopped doing relay years ago.
    I worked for an independent contracted to the majority of clubs and everything was done 'in house' and all in one go from initial response to final recovery.
    Once you were on our truck you stayed on it until you got home...no matter where that was.
    Our recovery 'area' stopped at sea ports.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. lorger

lorger Funster

Sorry to hear this hope all gets sorted soon

4. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I've always been relayed. I think it is something to do with taco rules in that if they only run local they don't need one..

5. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

They relay to get round tacho rules. If they stay within 50k's of base therefore 100k's total then no tacho required. They run on UK domestic hours. My son broke down coming off the Calais to Dover ferry in his T5. Six different trucks to get to Yorkshire. I think they also do not need the CPC card if working no more than 50k from base.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Bilbat

Bilbat Funster

Thanks for the concerns. Turns out to be a tiny nylon bush has split within the pump. Probably about 10p.So hunting round now for a new set of seals and we'll be back on the road.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Bilbat

Bilbat Funster

10/10 to Warwickshire plant. All fixed and back on the road next day. Thanks Nick.

• Like Like x 4
  8. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Good to hear it was not such a major repair. :)

Is that a banjolele or a banjo in your avatar?

Wyn

9. Bilbat

Bilbat Funster

It's a banjo which I love playing but I have started learning ukelele as well since Christmas.

10. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Great. Did you go to the Midland Ukulele Festival earlier this month? It was at Warwick Racecourse.

Wyn

11. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

couple of times weve ben recovered it was the lez that meant we had to be relayed older trucks from the sticks not allowed in london

12. Bilbat

Bilbat Funster

No. I don't do festivals etc. I used to go to a bluegrass weekend and jam nights with the banjo but found them very cliquey. Play a wrong chord and you got some very serious looks so I don't bother now. Just play for my own enjoyment and with my teacher. We're hoping to record some tunes we've written later this year.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

I played bass in the same band for many years, and whilst they could play as many bum notes as they wanted in a set, the minute I played one they all, to a man (and woman) turned round and stared at me, so the audience all knew I had played a bum note as well. Started off as a bit of a joke but ended up with me being paranoid about wrong notes, so much so that I had everything written down on a music stand in front of me which I tried my best to hide on stage.

14. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

That's a shame. The Bridgnorth Ukulele club where we go on Wednesday evenings do things quite differently. They are encourging to newcomers. They spend the first hour playing simpler tunes without too many chords. There are enough people playing that playing a wrong chord would hardly be noticed let alone upset anyone. The second hour gets slightly less simple and the third hour is more advanced. This way it is possible to improve at a steady pace without pressure. I think this is a good way to do it.

Wyn