Interesting cooking pots on Ebay .... hmmmmm

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Minxy Girl, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Just happened to see this on Ebay ... it's an electric rice cooker/food steamer etc with 2 pots. It not only cooks the food but also utilises a vacuum too ... it got me wondering if it would be any use to MHers either to use on site or whilst travelling ... similar to Mr D's cooking pot thing but with an electric element too, however I would imagine it could be used in a similar way to Mr D's as the containers are stainless steel so the contents could be started off on the hob ... it could also be used instead of a slow cooker with the benefit of being able to do 2 separate items at once.

What do you think?

There's a 1.8L and 1.2L version:

1.8L: 3 tier
    1.2L: 2-tier (its apparently available in different colours!)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

"Born to happy lunch" - well put......

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I like that, it's sort of a Tiffin Box that runs off electricity, and now all I can think of is curry! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Minxy Girl

Just looking at other versions of this and came across this picture ... I know we 'think' they can't say 'r' but it appears to be how they spell too sometimes! :D

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
  5. chaser

chaser Funster

6. Minxy Girl

Yes, however the 'vacuum' means it should actually cook things quicker and keep the heat in for longer ... very interesting item me'thinks.

7. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Well someone has to bit the bullet and buy one, so that the curry making capabilities can be fully tested. Back soon, off to buy some Kingfisher lager in anticipation :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Minxy Girl

I suppose the question is how would you power it on the move if you wanted to - our cab socket is 180w max so I assume a socket linked to the leisure or vehicle battery would be required?

9. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I've seen something like this before, spent a long flight once next to a Japanese gentleman who owned a company which made very similar stuff to these. As usual, the Chinese make a copy. How they can ship stuff like this all the way from Guangzhou for free and only charge £29 in total, I'll never know....

Some things definitely lose in the translation though, saw this in Shanghai airport a couple of years ago...... it was mushroom risotto
    image.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Can't see how its really going to work usually the vacuum is between the layers of the container to stop heat loss this has vacuum in the food container which will do the opposite of a pressure cooker it will lower boiling temperature so food will cook more slowly!. They seem to suggest the vacuum is to stop the growth of bacteria but if it were hot enough that would not be a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It's a lunch box and the vacuum pump is to expel the air so the contents might keep a bit fresher between loading it in the morning and cooking it at lunch time.

I suspect it is too small and too underpowered to be of much use as a cooker for two. If you want something to warm your spring rolls I guess it would be fine.

We'll stick with a saucepan. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. chaser

chaser Funster

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. bubble63

bubble63 Funster

Errr how dos the 'vacuum' keep things hotter, longer :whistle::)

I fully understand how a vacuum helps a flask but there is no void here, food touches the single ply edge = transfer
    I 'think' the vacuum is a red herring, bacteria will multiply in a vacuum, they are temperature dependant, they also multiply in pressure, its not until you get to huge pressures they are destroyed

14. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

• Like Like x 1
  15. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

I have never seen/used one but my thoughts are - if you have a household one and have an inverter in your van already then save your dosh and use the house one. You do not need a big inverter to operate a slow cooker on the move and the smell in the van while you are driving along is lovely, makes you hungry though!! We nestle ours in the shower tray with a bungy over the lid and a towel around the edge to stop in sliding around.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

We've ordered one for Winnie. We don't have one at home, we have an aga! ( type). We fancy the idea of a meal cooking whilst we drive along. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  17. chaser

chaser Funster

Which? Minxys or the slow cooker?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns Funster

19. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

It doesn't state the capacity of the cooking pot..... I have two slow cookers a small 1.5 litre that pulls just 90W max and was £9.99 from Argos (runs off the invertor when on the move) and a much larger slow cooker that stays at home (a £5 car boot sale buy). The larger one draws more power and for longer than the small one.

The 1.5 litre cooker is more than adequate for two of us when we are out and about. The larger one hardly ever gets used these days (home or away).

You also need to check if it will work without liquid (for doing baked potatoes and baking cakes and bread) and if it has a keep warm function. I think the 12v one is overpriced - a small one like ours plus a Lidl invertor will cost less and be more versatile.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Hey PD. Do you do baked potatoes in your slow cooker? How do they come out, crispy or soft? Is yours a crock one or a metal one?