Integrated high level brake light & reversing camera (1 Viewer)

TerryK

Free Member
Apr 26, 2017
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
on and off for 30 years
I have a PVC based on a high top Peugeot Boxer and I need to sort out a reversing camera. I see that you can replace the normal high level brake light with one incorporating a reversing camera. I assume that other people have done this (though after searching couldn't find much about them) and shall be grateful for any input on how good the camera is and how easy they are to fit.
Terry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have a PVC based on a high top Peugeot Boxer and I need to sort out a reversing camera. I see that you can replace the normal high level brake light with one incorporating a reversing camera. I assume that other people have done this (though after searching couldn't find much about them) and shall be grateful for any input on how good the camera is and how easy they are to fit.
Terry
Loads around Terry.. just do a search on Google mate..
The issue I find with all of them is the angle is just too wide. Great for reversing maybe, but useless when it comes to seeing anything more than 2 yards away.. And do not forget to budget for a monitor too !

OP
OP
T

TerryK

Free Member
Apr 26, 2017
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
on and off for 30 years
Thanks Jaws. Yes there are loads advertised for sale but I couldn't find any comments on how good or bad the cameras were. Looking for ways to minimise drilling holes in van. I thought that perhaps a second camera inside a rear window for checking road behind and high level camera for checking bumper area when reversing.
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I had one fitted by Vanbitz last November - the finished job looks very neat IMHO. Appears as though it is part of the original spec of the van, though obviously a little bulkier in reality. Much neater than the usual 'bolt-on' cameras, I reckon.

It works well, although I don't have experience of any other reversing cameras to compare it with. The experts at Vanbitz set it up so it operates all the time when the ignition is turned on.

The lens, although very wide angle, allows me to see any vehicles within 2-3 car lengths of the back of the van when driving forwards (ie in the area which might not be visible in the standard rear view mirrors). Additionally, I find it's particularly handy on the motorway because it just confirms there's nothing in the blind spot on the rear off-side when wanting to pull out to overtake.

For reversing it is obviously reassuring to have the visibility at the back of the van. The lens just picks up in the fringes of the image the outside lower rear corners of the van (the rectangular rubber blocks), which is quite useful so you know where you are, so to speak.

The set up wasn't cheap, but I reckoned it represented very good value for the supply and fit of camera and 5" monitor, with 3-year warranty @ circa £500 (with Fun discount and the fact they were able to utilise some of the pre-wiring in the van) + plus a free night at their excellent campsite almost adjacent to the workshop. Can't fault the quality of installation and customer service.

The camera in the amazon ad here looks similar to my Dometic Waeco set-up.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
This may not help much but I bought one but have not so far used it. I recently took out the rear toplight on my x250 pvc and found that it would be easy to get the wiring through into the main van without puncturing an outer wall, and provided you can run the video and power cables to it easily, and of course to the monitor, it should be very easy. As regards the monitor, you can probably connect two cameras to it, which is what I ultimately intend to do. If you DIY, it should be quite cheap.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Got one and its good.
2016-10-19 13.13.44.jpg

OP
OP
T

TerryK

Free Member
Apr 26, 2017
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
on and off for 30 years
Hi Jezport,
That looks like the one I saw. Can you advise me who/where you got yours?

Hi Mikebeaches,
All that information is very useful. Thanks very much.

Terry

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I had one fitted by Vanbitz last November - the finished job looks very neat IMHO. Appears as though it is part of the original spec of the van, though obviously a little bulkier in reality. Much neater than the usual 'bolt-on' cameras, I reckon.

It works well, although I don't have experience of any other reversing cameras to compare it with. The experts at Vanbitz set it up so it operates all the time when the ignition is turned on.

The lens, although very wide angle, allows me to see any vehicles within 2-3 car lengths of the back of the van when driving forwards (ie in the area which might not be visible in the standard rear view mirrors). Additionally, I find it's particularly handy on the motorway because it just confirms there's nothing in the blind spot on the rear off-side when wanting to pull out to overtake.

For reversing it is obviously reassuring to have the visibility at the back of the van. The lens just picks up in the fringes of the image the outside lower rear corners of the van (the rectangular rubber blocks), which is quite useful so you know where you are, so to speak.

The set up wasn't cheap, but I reckoned it represented very good value for the supply and fit of camera and 5" monitor, with 3-year warranty @ circa £500 (with Fun discount and the fact they were able to utilise some of the pre-wiring in the van) + plus a free night at their excellent campsite almost adjacent to the workshop. Can't fault the quality of installation and customer service.

The camera in the amazon ad here looks similar to my Dometic Waeco set-up.

RoadPro supply at a similar price...

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
jezport - did you need adaptors to connect the 4 pin camera to the built in 6 pin loom?

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
I didn't like the look of any on the market (at the time) so I made my own.

I'll upload pictures tomorrow in the daylight if you're interested

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Yes, there was some kind of 2 or 3 wire connector behind the brake light but couldn't see anything behind the dash
On the Adria, the other end is in the battery compartment.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, please - interested.
Here you go

Bought the camera from ebay, think around the £10 mark, but also had to buy a longer extension cable, I've a pvc but with no rear doors, ran cable from brake light, down to taillight, then out of the bottom and along chassis rail to cab area and into the back of my Sony headunit, and rather than having it switched with selecting reverse I added a small switch on the dashboard to select it any time I want, better when manoeuvring to keep it displaying rather than on, off, on etc

(poor quality to due direct sunlight today 👍)

I've got it set up so I can just see my corners in the bottom of the screen, I can use this and the mirrors to park nicely

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back