Insuring a Self Build Conversion - VW T5

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by brodie, Jul 5, 2016.

1. brodie

brodie Funster

Hi

we are just about complete with our conversion and I am now in a pickle as regards what to do with the insurance.

It is currently on a commercial policy - which I realise will now be void as we have made modifications/alterations to it.

I don't want conversion cover as it will be done next week! We are away on the 15 July so the documents wont be back from the DVLA before then. Has anyone had any experience of this kind of thing? I'm not sure whether to wait until next week when I will have the pictures etc to be able to supply or will the insurance want the V5 before the cover commences?

I know one though, I HATE sorting the insurance out for anything!!!

Thanks

2. dulvil

dulvil Funster

Adrian flux and carol Nash my mate had same thing last year

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bartyfixedit

Bartyfixedit Funster

• Like Like x 1
  4. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

we have our self build with aib who advertise on here banner at top of the page

• Like Like x 2
  5. rod_vw

rod_vw Funster

From the experience of four self builds I would suggest that the insurers will want a copy of the V5C showing 'Motor Caravan' as the body type. However I have always been able to get cover limited to three months whilst the conversion was being completed then having to provide the revised V5C as proof that it is converted. Maybe you can get similar cover that will tide you over until you get the V5C altered, after all no self build is ever complete, you will always find something that you would like to change!

Rod

• Like Like x 1