Insurance

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Stan the van, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Stan the van

Stan the van Read Only Funster

Hello people

Would a camper van insurance be cheaper then a commercial, as I have commercial at the moment on my conversion?

2. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Should be a lot cheaper providing it's classed as a Motor Caravan on the V5

Mike

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

as above....it must be registered as a motorcaravan on the V5.

if it isnt, its now very difficult to get it changed and it must LOOK like a proper motorhome on the outside....not just a van with added side windows.

there are also certain requirements on the inside....bed (can be made up from seating), at least one fixed cupboard/wardrobe, sink, water supply (can be a water carrier) and a myriad of other things

motorhome style graphics, rear ladder, tv aerial etc will go a long way to getting it changed.

'Stealth' conversions will become a thing of the past

4. dshague

dshague Funster

if you have a bump in a motorhome and in side fitting are damaged they are covered insured as a campervan.. but not as a commercial:Sad:

5. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

Camper van will be much cheaper than commercial insurance. Also, commercial insurance will result in problems if there is a claim, as they will regard the vehicle as misrepresented.

Most insurance companies will care more about what you have than what it says on the V5, provided you are entirely up front about it and explain that the V5 contains incorrect information that you are in the process of correcting. It is still worth fixing the V5, though, for the ones that are not.

My insurance company couldn't care less that my V5 claimed my 5 tonne Winnebago was a 3.5t panel van, but I have managed to change half the mistakes on the V5 so it is now a 3.5t motorcaravan. Next stop is to get a weighbridge ticket (no idea why, as the plate gives the actual gross weight) before I can get it registered private HGV...

6. Stan the van

Stan the van Read Only Funster

Thanks for the advice guys , dont think I can go for the camper insurance as I have no sink or running water.
    I have fixed cabnets and a seat that converts into a bed, as for the Tv aerial I am looking at getting one fixed. Theres no point in ladder on the back as I have a lwb vivro thats not a hi roof.