yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Yes i seem to be insured.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Why does the sceptic in me look at this site and say "what an easy way of getting numberplate details".

Surely, the MID would be run by the government, not as a private site?

OP
OP
gillr49

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Fully agree, worries us too

At least they dont say which insurance co.

It would be interesting to put in an uninsured vehicle and see what it comes up with.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
What i do hate though is all these lowlife costing me money by not paying for insurance loading my policies.

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
MID. is the Motor Insurance Data base. When you are stopped by the Police or you wish to Tax your vehicle on-line they run a check on this to see the vehicle is insured or not. It is the responsibility of your Insurance Company to provide them with these details within 14 days.
Insurance companies in some cases are very poor at complying with this as in my case my vehicle has not been registered which was the same problem i had last year.
How does it affect us the Police can seize the vehicle and you cannot Tax it on-line.:cry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've known of the Motor Insurance Database for some years but this usage of it seems to be a bit weird. After having a look at it I've sent the following e-mail to the Motor Insurers Bureau using the e-mail address in the Terms & Conditions. It will be interesting to see their reply (if any).

Graham
As a former Data Protection Officer I am somewhat confused by the declaration on your web site in that it says "I understand it is an offence to wrongfully obtain information of this nature without reasonable cause and if I fail to provide true reasons for acquiring information I may be committing an offence of unlawfully obtaining data contrary to section 55 of the Data Protection Act 1988."

The offence in S55 of DPA 1998 is in Sub-section (1):
A person must not knowingly or recklessly, without the consent of the data controller—
(a) obtain or disclose personal data or the information contained in personal data, or
(b) procure the disclosure to another person of the information contained in personal data.

All the Askmid site does is to return a vehicle make/model (or, in some cases, a description rather than a specific make/model) in response to input of a registration number (assuming that the registration number is on the database).

I fail to see how such details could identify an individual and how, therefore, they can constitute personal data. Could you please explain how this might be the case.

In addition, I entered the registration of a former vehicle of mine which was written off over three years ago, following a collision with another vehicle. The system returned the correct make and model for that vehicle. Could you please explain why the system still includes those details.

Harley Dave

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Overton, Hants
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
<1
Why does the sceptic in me look at this site and say "what an easy way of getting numberplate details".

Surely, the MID would be run by the government, not as a private site?

I know an even easier way of getting number plate details AND the colour of the vehicle

Cheers

Dave

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Further to my post above.

The MIB have apparently had legal advice that the data they supply could be classed as personal - I don't agree but hey ho :Smile:

I reckon the fact that our old car is still on the database is potentially more serious. According to the reply I had from MIB "there is a vehicle bearing that registration mark on the database, and it is the same make and model as was insured by you...........It does appear therefore that the vehicle has been restored and returned to the road." After the collision the recovery company driver told me he reckoned the car would be a write off because its structural integrity was seriously compromised and the insurance company told us that repair would cost more than the £3,600 market value of the vehicle at the time.

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to have the car repaired in the circumstances. Perhaps there is a lesson for anyone buying a second hand car here - get a HPI check to see if the vehicle has ever been written off.

Graham

kijana

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Mostly in a car park.
Funster No
MH
C class Luton
Exp
4 years
I tried both the RV and the Smart TOAD's numberplates in the askmid site.

According to the result, the RV is insured but the Smart isn't (they're with 2 different companies).

So I phoned the Smart's insurance company & told them I didn't appear on the MID, and was concerned at the implications.

They told me they are required to ensure that 95% of their policies are registered with MID, and that we may be amongst the remaining 5% :cry:

The guy promised to contact the appropriate people within the insurance company to ensure we will be registered.

Oh, great. So if we happen to be in a statistical minority, we can't renew our road fund licence online, and we run the risk of a great deal of agro should the police run an insurance check on us.

It seems to me that if the powers-that-be require a database of all insured vehicles, it should be just that: ALL insured vehicles, not 95% :Angry:

Anyway, thanks for the link, Gill, hopefully our problem will now be sorted out.

Bruce

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back