Insurance with milege restrictions

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by injebreck99, Jan 5, 2014.

1. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Now that O/H has fully retired we hope to be using the M/H a lot more, just renewed our insurance, (Comfort), but had a 6K mileage limit before, decided that this limit may be too little for us in future, so upped it to 8K, but cost £20 extra, got me wondering, we have never declared our mileage to the insurers, and they never ask the current mileage, so, do they or can they check.........?

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

They love to wriggle so I would have thought in the event of a big claim they would do all they could to check the mileage between MOTs

• Like Like x 2
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I reckon Jim got it in one.

Recorded Mileage check is now compulsory for the MOT and can be checked for a fee.

4. Serendipitous

Serendipitous Funster

Can be checked by looking at MOT records.
    When you tax it do you state the mileage to prevent clocking when sold?
    Service records record mileage.
    Average age of the MH divided by number of years.

Much as we all begrudge insurance costs, deliberately declaring false information is fraud. Also risks reduced pay out and at worst invalid insurance.

Sometimes you need to shop around to get the best deal for what you want.

It's like not asking Admiral insurance for a quote if you have attended a speeding course. Your not required to tell your insurance company unless they ask as you've not be prosecuted. Admiral do ask and put the premiums up accordingly.

5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Outrageous
    safeguard: no limit throughout europe two drivers AA recovery £346 and I don't have full no claims yet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I didn't think that 20 quid for the extra 2000 miles per annum was too bad. All of our motor insurance policies have had mileage limits for several years now. The plus side it that it also reduces if you find that you aren't doing the miles or don't anticipate them. Not unreasonable......

7. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

I'm not quibbling about the 20 quid extra, just wondering if they have access to any databases to keep an eye on my mileage.?

8. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

I was with comfort and on 5k per year last year and wanted to increase to 7k this year and they wanted an extra £75 so moved ( can't rember who too ) and policy in MH

9. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

I have recently renewed my insurance and wondered the same, mine is not due MOT for another 2 years so how would they be able to check that? I increased my mileage anyway, just to be safe.

• Like Like x 1
  10. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    I am insured with Camptons and have to declare the mileometer reading at each renewal

When I first started looking for motor home insurance I was surprised at the prices others were paying compared to what I had been paying for car insurance and the quotes that I was receiving. On closer investigation I found that many policies had low mileage limits and a condition that the motorhome was a second vehicle

11. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I would think the MOT database if they needed to, plus in the event of an accident would also look closely at the mileage covered

• Like Like x 1