Insurance whilst in America

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by moandick, Mar 23, 2008.

1. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

Hi Funsters

I have had a query on the Big Pitch Guide Website which I do not feel qualified to answer - can anybody with the necessary experience on here, help?

We are soon to go to the USA to purchase a 5th wheel rig for subsequent export back to the UK, after using it for 6 months in the US.

I would be grateful if anyone has any contacts for American Isurance companies that will insure non residents.

Thanks in anticipation
    Mike

I really would appreciate any help :thumb::thumb::thumb:

2. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

3. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

Hi Dick,

BOTH our RV and car are also insured through Garden City Insurance with Progressive DRIVE.

Before we contacted Keith I had insured the car with Progressive Direct but it was when we tried to also insure the RV with Progressive Direct we were informed that they would have to terminate our car insurance because we were full timers.

I had explained this when we insured the car and all was ok, it appears that he was wrong and we received the usual apology and most of our premium back :Sad:

Keith and his staff have been brilliant.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  4. moandick

Hi Mick and Rory

Many, many thanks for your help - I have passed the information on to the chap concerned.

Your help has been seriously appreciated - once again many thanks :thumb::thumb:

5. billym

billym Read Only Funster

That's one question crossed off my list. Thanks

6. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Hey Guys

Its warmer here than Austria about 75 degrees today had to have a swim and a beer to cool down.

7. kands

kands Read Only Funster

Hi Dick
    Maybe you could give your chap a link to this site so that if he has any other questions he can get quick answers to them. There are a number of people here who have the experience to answer questions like the one that you were asked, and if they trawl through the forums, many questions will be answered without the need to post the question :thumb::thumb:
    Just a thought

Keith

8. moandick

Hi Keith

It could be said that I get so few visitors to my site that I jealousy guard them :Sad: - don't want to lose the few that I do get by sending them elsewhere :Doh::Doh:

No, seriously, I have already put him onto this site, as I do with all my customers - but sometimes it is just a bit quicker for me to 'pin' the question to the noticeboard first - so that I can impress him with my range of knowledge (I may not know - but I know a man what does - as the saying goes...) :Blush::Blush:

It is a well known fact that this site is probably the friendliest and most knowledgable (in RV terms) of any site on the web - and long may it be so - and I often re-iterate that fact to 'whats-his-name' who devised it :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Now I'll probably get sacked, ......(Sorry, Jim)......:Wink::Wink::Wink:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  9. kands

kands Read Only Funster

glad to hear it Dick :thumb::thumb:
    You won't get sacked from here matey, this is FUN :Laughing::Laughing:

Keith

10. IanH

IanH Read Only Funster

Hi Dick
    first post on this forum so here goes

I currently have a Cedar Creek 5th wheel here in the states
    like others its insured by Progressive ,just insured it full coverage value $50k with 6 months use 6 months storage $395

The truck is more expensive at value $24k full coverage 6 months $1200 also by Progressive

The policy were taken out through Lazydays with Montana quotes on UK licence.

The truck is a bit more expensive because it comes into commercial being a 3500
    if it was a 2500 you might get a better quote from other insurers

If this guy is going to import it back to the Uk i would be interested in the driving licence needed ie would you need a hgv class 1 or whatever they call it now,and how he intends to cover the braking and parking brake needed for UK trailers.Just in case i do import this one someday

Ian & Doreen

11. moandick

Hi Ian and Doreen

Thankyou for the info on the insurance, I have posted it onto a different site where the original question came from.

As to your Licence question I need to know the weight of each of your vehicles before I can answer that one - but in short.......

Have a look at the official DVLA answer......

Licence requirements

As to the braking requirements, I have no idea BUT I am sure somebody on here will tell you before the night is out.

I may well copy your post to a new special post so that other come straight to it .