Insurance Quote - Interesting Definition of Usage

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by PP Bear, Jul 22, 2014.

1. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Just had my insurance renewal quote. What you think, sounds like value again to me :)

Interesting terminology on usage and their take on full timing too. Not that I full time, or manage 8 months away a year unfortunately :(

Based on your current information, we have offered your Renewal at a premium of £323.01 for your Motorhome insurance policy.

This is based on yourself only to drive for a 12 month Comprehensive policy based on your Fiat Autotrail Dakota

Key points of the policy is:
    * £200 Damage Excess
    * Windscreen cover up to £3000 (Subject to £75 Excess
    * Caravan and Camping personal effects up to £3000
    * Trailer Cover provided up to £3000
    * Includes Legal Expenses Cover
    * Unlimited 365 Day Green Card Cover
    * Cover for Awnings, Generators and Gas Explosion
    * Annual Mileage Based on 4000 Per Year
    * Full UK/EU RAC Breakdown Cover Included

Policy States:
    Long Term Touring and Full Timing
    Use of Your Motor Caravan for eight months or more (whether as a single trip or a series of trips) in any one year will be treated (and rated) as long-term touring. If, in addition, you sell or let your UK property you will be treated (and rated) as full-timing. Please refer to the policy conditions on Page 31 for more details.

Long Term Touring & Full Timing
    16. This policy is subject to the following conditions:
    Policyholders must maintain a full UK residence, either through ownership or long term rental agreement (of at least 9 months) unless a full-timing rate has been agreed and paid.
    The address shown on the Schedule must be the one at which the policyholder is on the electoral roll, (unless a full-timing rate has been agreed and paid) and also the one that appears on the driving licence and vehicle documentation.
    The motor caravan must at all times have a valid MOT certificate (unless not required due to age of the vehicle) and current UK road fund licence & tax disc.
    Should a copy of a utility bill (as evidence of residence at the address) be requested at any time (inception, mid-term, renewal, in the event of a claim) then one must be provided.

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

From Oct you cant comply as the tax disc is defunct
    #Next!!!
    They do seem to be nailing down the Full timers don't they

3. vectian

vectian Funster

Well if theyre full timing and only doing 4000 miles in a year it doesn't seem worth while.

4. gabby

gabby Funster

Seems a good deal, who are you with if you don't mind me asking .

5. PP Bear

I'm not full timing at all, so 4000 miles is almost spot on for me. I would, of course, info my insurance company should I go over. Better safe than sorry!! :)

I only posted the definition as a means of showing other Funsters what some insurance companies are quoting for usage (y)

I have been using The Insurance Factory. It's odviously a Brooker but the Motorcaravan Gold+ policy comes through with Aviva, so a reputable company :)

I did use Go Compare, but none of the quotes were as good. Some were slightly cheaper in price, but missed all the extras by a Country Mile, esp the full European breakdown cover and full Green Card too :clap:

6. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

That's the same policy that I have - aviva Motorcaravan gold - through comfort though - and the FT premium
    Was paid as we don't have an address. £895 but can't complain.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PP Bear

Thanks for that, I was wondering what the cost would be for full timing and no address. I don't think it's actually that expensive for what it is :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. BreweryDave

Peace of mind - that's what it is!

• Like Like x 2
  9. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Sorry but I think its quite expensive -

and.................. you dont seem to have any "contents cover" only caravan and camping contents - perhaps this needs checking or you need some other contents cover on top

10. webby1

webby1 Funster

Interesting that the policy the OP refers to is with Aviva as is ours through MHF and so their conditions for long terming and full timing are worded the same............... address,utility bills etc.

But as someone on the cusp of fulltiming I am interested in their definition of using the van for 8 months in any one year........which would suit us. But MHF and I think Comfort insist anything more than 6 months is classed as long terming full timing.

Whilst we are on the topic if you had to make a claim and had been away more than 6 months how could they prove that other than asking for a ferry ticket and would the onus be on you to prove you only left UK "last month" and they certainly could not prove that you had had a 3 month trip earlier in the year...could they ?
    All hypothetical of course.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BreweryDave

If you tell comfort full time and no address - it's fine. 24/7/365 anywhere and includes 3k contents. No mileage limit. They are the ONLY broker to offer this in writing. Trust me!!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Fragle

Fragle Funster

Almost the same as my quote. Similar wording and price. Mine has 10k miles. Hope that's enough:smiley:

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Fitted furniture & appliances would be part of the vehicle value.

As the OP is not full timing, they would have cover under the Personal Belongings or Specified Items sections of their house contents policy for things brought from home (clothes, camera, laptop etc).

• Like Like x 1