Insurance on German plates

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by s20hymer, Jul 7, 2014.

1. s20hymer

s20hymer Funster

I am thinking of buying a used Burstner motorhome in Germany which will be on German plates until I get the necessary documents for changing to Uk reg plates. My Hymer is covered by Safeguard at the moment, could I expect them to cover me on the changeover or do I have to look elsewhere, does someone have a solution, thanks in advance

2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

PM, "Snowbird",, (Dave) he has just bought one from Germany (I think).. (y)

3. Bellini

Bellini Funster

If you're going to bring it back to the UK, then you'll need export plates.

Your seller can arrange this on your behalf if you email him a colour scan copy of your passport. It'll cost about €300, but includes full EU insurance for a few weeks.

This'll get you home easily enough. You can insure on the VIN with a UK insurer, but many stipulate this is for registration purposes only until you get your UK registration sorted.

4. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Y
    Bought a Hymer camp in March over there. They sell the plates with international insurance for 5 days. You just ask the seller to help . They usually do it very kindly...... 80 euros the whole lot.

Edit: I do not think it can be more than 5 days!!!

Frankie:Smile:

5. Bellini

Bellini Funster

Mine was for 2 weeks last November and I had an option to have a month's full EU insurance for a little extra.

You can get Transit plates for much, much less with 4 days full EU insurance instead, but some EU police forces get annoyed if the vehicle is out of its home country.

• Like Like x 1
  6. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

2 different experiences then . I asked for more time and wasn't allowed. It would have made things much easier for me indeed...

Frankie:).

7. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

So - is there any reason you can't buy a van in Europe and just keep it under that country's rules and regs - with a uk address? Keeping the foreign plates on and abiding by their mot rules etc???

This would be of interest to me as intend being in Europe more than the uk soon!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Middy42

Middy42 Funster

Thanks for all replies, seems I should be ok. Barrie

9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

yes. you would need to be resident in most countries and have an address there . some require you to be on their social system as well.
    its a shame life isnt that easy. after all we are supposed to be in europe.
    course if you have an mot exempt vehicle you could get the tax by phone /internet and not come back .
    might be easier when they do away with the tax disc .
    i think a uk person with uk driving licence ,uk vehicle ,uk insurance etc , allows you more leeway as you are only a visitor . only on holiday officer.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I normally take out 5 day cover with the transit plates in Germany. Recently I took out 30 days at 120 Euros. German plates do not belong to the vehicle as they do in the UK, but belong to the registered keeper. This makes it impossible to buy a vehicle with normal German plates, unless you are resident. Vehicles have to be "signed off" in Germany.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Middy42

Middy42 Funster

Is there any sort of import tax to pay on a used motorhome. Thanks again.
    Barrie

12. Middy42

Middy42 Funster

I have a reply from Safeguard who say they will insure just require a few details. Does anyone know what is involved to get the van registered on UK plates. Regards. Barrie

13. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

14. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

When we bought Heidi in Germany we got 30 day plates. We made a holiday of the drive back to the UK.

The vehicle had to be inspected at a TUV station during the process, as Allan says, to sign it off. We than had to get the plates that were ordered before the test certified at the town hall. The previous owner went with us the whole way, sorting out any language issues.

The insurance does work. We had to claim on the first night. German Police just looked at the plate and filled in an international insurance claim form. These were exchanged with the other vehicle owner and we were on our way and heard nothing more about it.

We had to change the position of the rear fog light and put beam deflectors on for the MOT.