Insurance incoherance Forign Storage of MH (1 Viewer)

dave2222001

Free Member
Jun 29, 2013
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Ime a Newbie
Well Brought Insurance from SAGA seemed good price and needed it to bring the new purchase back from the seller.

Start checking out what the cover from Various companies do. Saga seemed OK So I went with them I am brand new and hadn't sussed it all out at the time of getting the policy.

Phoned them up as I want to leave the MH in South of France and Spain intermittently for periods between 4-6 weeks. I had already found out that this is one of those loops that only have the function of Assisting Insurance companies to avoid Liability. Also its one most of them like to use.

Ask the guy on the Phone is this possible ''Yes'' he says no problem but MH has to be in the UK at least 6 Months and a day. (doesn't say anything about that in Policy booklet it says unlimited neither is it on the Schedule) ''Can I put it into secure storage'' I say. The guy says ''yes''. Are you sure I say, ''I will just check with My Supervisor'' he says then Off he goes comes back and says ''yes that is correct leave it in Storage no problem its covered no mention in either of the documents mentioned above of limits on leaving the MH''.

OK I don't trust them so get my wife to call ask much the same questions gets totally different answers Can we leave the MH we ask. No not even overnight they say. Do we have to Have the Motor Home in the UK for 6 M and 1 day. No you can stay out as long as you like as long as you bring it back for MOT tests. Can we have special permission to leave the MH in Storage. Maybe We have to ask the underwriters and have details of the storage facility (Its indoors locked up with 24/7 CCTV and people living on the site).

They will not give a straight answer they will not give you anything in Writing they will not give you an E mail address for correspondence They tell you your covered when you are not so how do you find out what cover you actually even if they come back and say they will cover the storage (I understand the reluctance you could leave it on a bit of waste ground so its fair that they check where you leave it).

They told my Wife the Van would be covered for Breakdowns and relay if we took that out even though it was more than 4 ton yes no problem they say. Got a bit further up the tree guy says no way they wont do it if its to heavy just roadside assistance if they don't know how heavy it is.

So you don't know what cover you have you don't know what will happen if you have a claim Just how many rules not in the documents you get are there and how are you supposed to know when every phone call gets a different answer and none of the answers are going to be written.

Rant over If they come up with the Overseas Storage cover I may forgive them I will post the results here if they do.

dave2222001

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
now try asking DVLA a vehicle or drivers licence question....pretty much the same response....different answer every time :Angry:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its quite simple really
You only give them the option to reply in writing
No verbal communication at all:Cool:
If that dont work write and tell them you will assume cover if no reply is given:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Comfort (AVIVA) will allow 365 days in EU but no more that 182 days in any one country for full cover. EU law says any insurance must give minimum legal cover anywhere in EU during its term.

We can only leave our van for 48 hours without the express written consent of the underwriters. If consent given it must be in secure storage with guard and CCTV.

This leaving the van also applies if it is broken down and in a repairers premises.

We full time and don't intend leaving the van anywhere as it is home, so we find the terms not a problem.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
In the 13 years of me owning a van I have only ever used Safeguard and for the first time this year MHF policy ( same as comfort and underwritten by Aviva).
I consider these the 2 best and give an all inclusive package to suit us motorhomers. You know you have 365 day cover, European breakdown and yes certainly covers over 3500kg as we have used it twice.

The storage issue pops up regular on these forums and the answer is always NO.
If anyone hears any difference I would be interested to know, we leave our van mainly in Spain on sites or storage for up to 3 weeks and take the risk. :Eeek:

OP
OP
D

dave2222001

Free Member
Jun 29, 2013
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Ime a Newbie
Storage

Comfort Say they consider on a case by case basis I have noted people on other forums saying that it was approved. Have not heard of them refusing permission.

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back