insurance for the retired

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by kalamitty, Aug 12, 2015.

1. kalamitty

kalamitty Funster

i turn sixty in two months, and fed up at work, so i have been offered a property in wales and it would'nt cost much to sell mine and buy, so i have had a pension forecast and and with my savings i can manage comfortably, question is has anyone retired recently and did your motorhome insurance go up? and car insurance etc.
    i am buying the house and spoke to directors at work so they know once my house is sold then i will be giving notice, been there 43 yrs. and we are moving near to wifes family who i get on with, and the house has lower running cost ie lower council tax, own water supply and sewerage, and i can help on brother in laws farm, so no need to get bored. which would help him.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Speve

Speve Funster

Hi Kalamitty I retired three years ago at sixty can't say I noticed a hike in my insurances any more than they usually try to get you to pay more every time renewal comes up, just search around and keep it as low as possible.:)

3. JackieP

JackieP Funster

I've been 'retired' for five years and had no increase in any insurance policy for the house or vehicles.

4. etap

etap

The only insurance I noticed that increased since retiring is health insurance , and that is age related, at 60 probably no change for you.
    Etap

5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

You may all find some insurances will decrease because of the post code. You can never be sure but as a generality moving to a low crime rural area will be cheaper than living near or in a big city. When I had to park our MH in a storage area while we had builders in and the drive had to be kept clear the MH insurance went up a bit simply because the post code of the secure storage was closer to Plymouth, which is clearly full of thieves and mad drivers according to the insurance company.

Of course any savings on insurance costs will be offset by increased expenditure on Wellington boots, leek roasting pans and singing lessons.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

My insurance hasn't gone up since I retired. Try Saga :)

7. Padraigpost

Padraigpost Funster

I r retired 5 years ago and again no increases in insurances, th e post office tried to hike up my car insurance this year so I just compared the Meercat and now pay even less than last year with the AA.
    Don

8. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Sounds like a plan..good luck! We intend to cash in on our london home next year and move to south coast.....Want to stay near Eurotunnel

My pension rubbish. Drawn early due to health. But wife's will be very good when she finally retires., so in theory should be fine as you will:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

Our existing travel insurance company (AnnualTravelInsurance.com) tried to hike this years premium by £100 because I had now reached the age of 66. They seem to think that I must have physically crumbled in the last 12 months.

We disagree with the advice above to try Saga as when we have compared their premiums to the rest of the marketplace for all types of insurance they are not competitive. Although its a pain going trough the "compare" websites we find that we are obliged to change companies every year to get the best deals: rewarding company loyalty seems to be dead and buried in the insurance and banking industries,

The Tinca's

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I retired last November, insurance renewal was in April.. Cost went DOWN ( very slightly )

11. Speve

Speve Funster

Totally agree have found SAGA are to pricey and can't compete they told me that they were not cheap but provide excellent terms?

• Like Like x 1
  12. frogijock

frogijock Funster

Every thing Saga is involved in is expensive, just look at their holiday brochure

• Like Like x 1
  13. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I found Saga the cheapest when I looked around - but of course you have to keep an eye on them as they all tend to try and increase premiums, counting on loyalty/lethargy you won't change.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

The only thing that I noticed about putting retired as an occupation is that car insurance changed from social and commuting to social only.

15. whoa

whoa Funster

Just paid premium with insure4 retirement, hadn't informed them before that my wife had retired, to my surprise the premium went down by nearly £30, that's for buildings and contents insurance, cost was £271, not saying they're the best but, I have had quotes from Saga and not impressed, I suppose they see us As two old doddery people who will never leave the house, so someone always in, not quite right, we're away in the van at present in Co. Durham, next month most of the month in Cornwall

16. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

I've just this minute renewed my house insurance using Moneysupermarket.com. - buildings and contents.

Sainsbury's came out the best value (not cheapest by £8) at £98 all-in with a maximum of 60 days away at any one time. :)

17. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

Saga have provided me with insurance at extremely competitive rates. However, that may be more to do with the low insurance group of my motorhome :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the thing I hate about SAGA is that once they have your details, they keep pestering you for years after

• Like Like x 1
  19. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

I have lots of insurances with Saga, they've always given me the best quote (like-for-like) (y)
    I asked them not to, except for renewal reminders, & they stopped all marketing stuff (email & snailmail - they've never phoned) :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

oh, I asked but it just carried on. still get weekly email offers (and post) but at least the phone calls eventually stopped